• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

220v 50 cycles

As a refrigeration and air conditioning professional, I have seen numerous motors that are actually rated for both 50 and 60 HZ. There are a lot of factors to consider, but since we know the application in your case, that eliminates many of them. You can do some online research if you'd like, but the summary is this: the odds are in your favor, as the amp draw will probably be lower at 60HZ. There will be about a 20% increase in speed, and therefore the load on the motor. What I recommend is to call the manufacturer. They will know right away if you're good to go. Nervoustrig's suggestion of a variable frequency drive has merit, but a less expensive alternative would be to replace the pulley on the motor with a slightly smaller one, to compensate for the speed difference, and therefore restore the load on the motor to something close to the intended load. The most important thing to check is that the full load amp draw is not higher than the motor's rated amp load, usually listed on the motor data plate as FLA. Again, and especially if this is a new compressor, I highly recommend you contact the manufacturer and ask them. I have run many AC units originally designed for European 220 volts and 50 hertz on our 208-230 volt 60 hertz power here in the United States with the blessing of the manufacturer. And yes, if you're using this at home, you will be applying 240 volts, but not to worry. All of our voltages here, whether commercial or residential, run within 10% of the design spec of 220 volts, which is by design. Wow, did the Department of Redundancy Department write that last sentence? So, give them a call. Let us know what you find out. And welcome to the addiction!

James

Good afternoon all, I called Air Venturi Service, they told me it wont cause any problems, theyve been running theres for years like that, was told that NEMA C-13 plug and cord will work. The alternate is to run down to your local hardware store and buy 220v plug, cut the european plug off and install US plug. Its working great, filled 5 255cc cylinders from 100 bar to 300 bar in about 10 minutes, what freedom i can shoot anytime without worrying about air. Thanks for the advice. john