• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.22 Wolverine Coon Hunt

My neighbor asked me to dispatch some problem racoons on his farm. These guys have killed all his ducks on his pond....and raid his horse feed and trashcans every night. He just bought two dozen baby ducks and they're all dead. They were in a big cage with chicken wire. Coon tracks all around the cage for evidence.

AmyRay/The Kracken getting in on the action. Best squirrel dog ever.

All taken with headshots/drt. I dont like suffering. Someone I know down the road is on their way to get them. No waste.

steppenwulfWOW! nice clean up. what brought them in? didnt shooting one make the rest scatter?

In my experience....a good quiet airgun is WAY WAY more effective than a 12 guage or .22lr. They dont spook like they would with a loud bang. More range than a shotgun....and way safer than shooting a .22lr up in the air. Very effective tool if your a decent shot. Shot placement is key. Body shots NOT a good idea with racoons unless your packing some real heat. However......33 ft lbs to the head/brain is way more than enough for even a racoon. I used a fencepost to steady all my shots.

plinkerGood looking wood on your gun too!

Thanks plinker. I enjoy your vids. Im getting setup here real soon to do hunting videos myself. Last night would have made one hell of a first hunting video. They came crashing down outta trees hard with a loud thwap. All it took was a well placed shot.....which is easy to do with some type of rest. I have full confidence in my current setup to make very precise/surgical shots. Im ordering a nitesite viper rtec in the next week. Cant wait.......

3 or 4 years I killed 35 over the course of a month and a half that were tearing my Pecan trees up and decimating my pecan crop for that year.

It is about that time of year again. When the pecan husk start to crack they issue a scent that the coons can smell for miles downwind. It draws them in like a magnet does steel.

Thurmond

T3PRanch3 or 4 years I killed 35 over the course of a month and a half that were tearing my Pecan trees up and decimating my pecan crop for that year.

It is about that time of year again. When the pecan husk start to crack they issue a scent that the coons can smell for miles downwind. It draws them in like a magnet does steel.

Thurmond

Damn.....that was a pecan tree I shot 4 of those out of. Didnt know that. I will have to look at the other tree....it may be pecan too. Learn something new everyday. Thanks for the tip. Pecan trees near water this time of year=coon convention. I saw alot last night. I passed up 3 shots because I couldnt find a rest. Only place I could clearly see their head was an offhand shot. No good for 30 yards trying to make a 100% humane kill.....especially at a 45 degree angle overhead. There is still a coon problem at his place despite those 6 I took. Gunna wait on the nitesite before hitting again.

"Marksman3006"
Damn.....that was a pecan tree I shot 4 of those out of. Didnt know that. I will have to look at the other tree....it may be pecan too. Learn something new everyday. Thanks for the tip. Pecan trees near water this time of year=coon convention. I saw alot last night. I passed up 3 shots because I couldnt find a rest. Only place I could clearly see their head was an offhand shot. No good for 30 yards trying to make a 100% humane kill.....especially at a 45 degree angle overhead. There is still a coon problem at his place despite those 6 I took. Gunna wait on the nitesite before hitting again.
My NiteSite is ready and waiting for them this year. ;)

Thurmond

oldspook:) Great shooting, how many 40 pounders in that posse? :) :)
Lot of good eating there. They make up into a great gumbo.

Not sure Ive ever shot a 40 pounder. All these guys were full grown and probably weighed 20 pounds apiece.....the two biggest maybe a few more pounds. Racoons are tough as nails for their bodyweight. One of em might go 25 lbs but I doubt it.