• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.22 VS .30??- Already own .25

Hello,

I have a Leishy 2 on order in .25. I have an itch to get another PCP. What would be a better choice .22 or .30? I want it to be just as lethal as the .25 and accurate. The ability to potentially get larger game sounds appealing too - hence.30??

*Price of pellets - do not care. I know .30 is more.

*Less shots per tank. That is something I can deal with - I think?

Not sure what brand - maybe AAA or FX or Daystate. Whatever the case though it will be a 1:1 build to the L2. So gun quality will not come into play. 

Any thoughts on what you would do?

Thank you for the help!

Leshiy 2 is technically the first gun I put money towards. Knowing I wouldn’t see one for a few months I decided to get a Lelya2 in order to have something to shoot while waiting. That is a fun little gun for off hand shooting! My Leshiy2 will be.30 cal, lelya is 25. I think I want something in .22 now for more general plinking, and I’m thinking I’ll just get a .22 barrel for the leshiy2. I plan on getting a 600 mm valkyrie barrel kit as well, as I’d rather shoot that gun in multiple configs and calibers than almost anything else.

Was thinking about getting either an AAA EVOL or a RAW HM1000X Chassis in .30, but now with all the extra valkyrie options and barrels it would actually be cheaper for me to just buy a long barrel L2 kit and see how I like it. Then maybe down the road buy one of the other guns to compare with. Realistically I’m still going to get one of them eventually, but with the versatility of the L2 I could be pretty happy - at least when I actually have one to shoot. 😁 

I just received a .35 cal AEA Terminator semi auto. Kindof an impulse opportunity buy that I couldn’t pass up. Haven’t even had time to clean it or anything else other than a general inspection. Dirt cheap and built like a tank (heavy like one too), from what I’ve seen so far. I’m actually tempted to try another AEA gun if this one works out. Zachary who runs the US web store has been awesome to deal with as well which helped with some of my concerns with ordering a chinese import. He seems really dedicated to making these guns available in the US and backing them up with service and support. The gun really does seem well built, but only time and lots of pellets will tell. This caliber of gun is a bit overkill for me since I don’t hunt, but I can’t deny the desire to wreak carnage on some fruit, cans and other destructible targets is strong and it really does look badass. 😁

Yesterday I bought an FX Impact Compact in .22 cal with the 500 mm barrel. I wanted it as a compact fun which I say is backpack capable at 25 inches long in total, plus then I will get a .25 cal barrel at 600 mm for bench rest comp and larger game like turkey when I am back in USA. (My buddy there just confirmed you can hunt turkey with .25 cal up in Idaho with a PCP air rifle.) :) So me happy.

Out of the selection the Leshiy II would be on my radar too, but in .25 cal, energy shots per count per energy. I guess though what do you find as big game. With something like a Leshiy II in 30 cal, to me, raccoons are the largest you should go or maybe a fox / coyote at close range. other than backyard best control I have yet to see a Leshiy II in the field on a YouTube video. The other guns you mentioned are proven field weapons.

Full auto doesn't interest me in the least, it's just a way to waste lead. I could see the value in an efficient semi-auto, but I probably wouldn't buy one of those either.

As for .22 vs .25, it really depends on what you expect out of it. If you want a fun gun you can use for target and small game, a .22 would be a good choice. If you like shooting reactive targets like Gamo field targets or airguns made for spinners, you can tune down a .22 enough to shoot them without destroying them. if you get a .30, you will have to invest in sturdier reactive targets as well. And if you aren't really a target shooter...ignore all that. :)

If you want to primarily hunt with it, I think a .30 would be fun and very rewarding. Again, think about where and what you would hunt. Where I live, hunting on public land is pretty much limited to .17-.25 airguns.

Hello!

Thank you for the replies! To be clear this is .22 vs .30. The L2 is .25 and want something else.

The suggestions to get a barrel kit with the new Valkerie stuff is a good suggestion. However, I want an entirely different gun - spice things up!

I bought the L2 with the 350 kit and I have a Valkerie Honey Badger (is officially called something else, but name escapes me) kit with it. 

I looked at the LCS, while its extremely cool I think I want to keep it semi. 

I'm just trying to figure out if .22 or a .30 would be the better choice. I'm leaning towards .30.

From reading your comments, I'd opt straight into the .30, because if you get the .22, you're going to be left disappointed and left wondering about what "could've would've should've" with the .30. The .25 is already a solid all around plinker and hunting tool, and I believe the Leshiy2 is designed to also shoot slugs and pellets, so you're in a sweet spot with what you're intentions are with that gun. FWIW, I've seen post of some people tuning their .25 guns to shoot slugs at around 80 - 100 FPE... (I myself don't own any guns chambered in .25 to comment more deeply however). With this in mind, you might want to consider even bigger bore at .35 or higher, just food for thought... If you just like to mostly plink, save more money, be able to go to walmart to find ammo, while occasional taking out small game, then .22. 

I prepaid for a Leshiy 2 in .25 with 250mm and 350mm barrels. I also bought a .30 Uragan, and I’m glad I did. The novelty of switching barrels, scopes and resighting each time quickly wears off. I sold my Impact Compact for that same reason. While you can switch bottles, barrels, liners and scopes, I’d rather pick up my caliber specific gun that is sighted in with my projectile of choice and go hunting. No matter which barrel you have installed, there will be times when you need the other caliber-NOW. I learned that in the powderburner world with the Thompson Center (single shot) and the Sako Quad (bolt action) with 4 switchable rimfire barrels. There are tinkerers, tweakers, tuners swappers, and there are hunters. Fortunately, there are enough choices in airguns so we all can find what we like. 

PS: I had an SK19 in .25 and sold it. I shot one magazine full auto after I owned it a couple months,and the thrill was gone. There is no place for full auto in hunting. Semi auto is good enough, not to mention full auto is not legal (or will not be) in some places, for hunting.

Thank you for the reply and I think .30 will prob be the way to go. ANy opinions, of course are welcome.

As of now the AAA EVOL Magnon really has my interest piqued. I want it to be more on the compact side of things, yet still be able to reach out and hit something. That style really really appears to me as well. Any other suggestions welcome as well on that front. 

But let's be real here, what's going to say that the Evol is going to be your last gun lol. I think we've all told ourselves 2 guns ago that was our last gun lol. Trust me, there'll be another excuse you'll make up to buy another one; maybe you'll decide to get into .22 cal afterall haha.

True True! In all likelihood you are correct. Same song and dance with centerfire. Next thing you know you own 100! This is a new place for me to go. And for the sake of the thread im staying in this lane for context.........but you're right

Im leaning EVOL 30

But let's be real here, what's going to say that the Evol is going to be your last gun lol. I think we've all told ourselves 2 guns ago that was our last gun lol. Trust me, there'll be another excuse you'll make up to buy another one; maybe you'll decide to get into .22 cal afterall haha.

I don't even try to tell myself that anymore. When my wife says "how many guns do you need"'? I say, "Just one more". She just laughs. Never kept me from buying anything, she just says if you want it we'll find a way to pay for it.