.22 vs .25

In many ways yes I think it would this is a 28.5 grains .22cal and the other chart is 29.5 grain .25 cal

1588868927_2411450365eb4373f3405f2.74911715.jpeg
1588868927_5693101945eb4373febc346.46606771.jpeg

the energy will be same directly when the pellets leave the barrel, but other then that it will be all different depending on speed, BC, barrel and so on.

even if they weigh same and shoot same speed, they will behave different each yard traveling down range, except if the BC is same at that given speed and barrel, then they will probably? be in same energy-state over distance, at least within pellet/Slug normal shooting distances.

In general, where most other variables are held reasonably constant:

1. The BC of the smaller caliber (.22) will be higher, making it less susceptible to wind drift and capable of retaining more energy at a greater distance.
2. The smaller caliber (.22) will require more air and/or a longer barrel to get it to the same speed (less area on which to push).
3. The smaller caliber (.22) will penetrate deeper and is more likely to result in a pass-through on game or pests. Conversely, the larger caliber (.25) will produce a larger wound channel and will dissipate a larger portion of its energy, and is less likely to pass through.

My understanding is the .22 will be better in ballistic due to higher sectional density, however given the same dome head on the pellets the .25 will have a much bigger impact area and therefore less penetration which usually is better for small games with better energy dump. With larger games then more penetration could be better, so it's the good old answer of .......it all depends. Right tool for the right job is a better way to look at it, what job are you trying to setup for? paper punching? Small game hunting in close range/backyard? Small game in long range? Larger game in close quarters...........

I've been toiling with the similar question and my conclusion is I'm sticking with the .25 and turn down power to get less penetration for smaller games and turn up the power for larger games. After experimenting a bit I found the 25 to be slightly more versatility due to the fact I can really crank it up for the bigger games. However with the right gun and slugs .22 can be extremely potent also. If your gun doesn't have the range of adjustability then get both .22 and .25, we all can agree on the n + 1 theory right?

Reactions: nervoustrig
In my experience you can get to a bc with slugs approaching .1 in both calibers In .22 you need to be shooting close to a 30g (quite heavy for caliber) slug. 
In .25 you can get around the same bc from a 33.5g (Quite lite for caliber)slug. I‘ve found it much easier to achieve the speeds needed for stability with the .25 cal slugs. 
That is lower regulator pressure ect. 
So for long range performance I’d say in .25 it’s easier to achieve 

0.25 puts a bigger hole in live game compared to 0.22. If that makes any difference with everything else being equal... If never hunting and only paper punching then I would think the 0.22 at the same weight and ballistic coefficient as compared to the 0.25 would be the better choice for 100 yard and beyond due to less frontal air deflection. I can only imagine a super 0.177 high power heavy hitter entering this playing field... Yo!

When I ordered my .22/700mm Impact I considered getting a .25 caliber but couldn't justify one for my applications - target; plinking; pesting and small game hunting (in that order).

For me, 99% of the time the (typical) 30 fpe a .22 PCP develops is more than adequate and lower pellet costs (larger selection) and less air consumption are definitely points to consider as I like to shoot a lot. 

Per the OP's question, I believe that the performance gap between the .22 and .25 calibers has stayed the same as modern PCPs in both has shown a marked increase in power allowing heavier projectiles and correspondingly higher energy levels.

That being said, my new .22 Impact can be tuned to 60+ fpe (which is more than my stock .25 FX Royale produces) if I chose to go there. My Impact will end up being tuned for 25 grain pellets and slugs for long range (up to 125 yard) shooting as that is what the rifle was purchased for... I am guessing that will be in the 50 fpe range.

I agree that the .25 (and larger) calibers definitely have a place when hunting larger animals (raccoons and bigger) and at extremely long range (that's anything over 125 yards for me) but for pests, squirrels; rabbits and the occasional groundhog the .22 is plenty for the job. Yes, the .25 makes a larger hole and transfers more energy but it doesn't kill any faster or better than a .22 with proper shot placement. Seems that with trend to higher velocities, the new expanding pellets and slugs will increase the capabilities/performance of the .22 caliber.

If groundhogs hunting or ground squirrels at long range were my thing then I would chose a .25 or .30; for my applications (tree squirrels and rabbits at mostly sub 50 yard ranges) a .22 covers the bases very nicely.

Just my two cents.

Vana2 - Your first paragraph was the most important: "my applications – target; plinking; pesting and small game hunting (in that order)"

We all want the universal gun that does it all perfectly, but that gun doesn't exist, so this whole crazy sport is really just many compromises that we hope performs well.

I have a .22 Marauder and a .25 Impact. Next gun (Probably another Impact) will probably be a .22 because of economy over a .30 or other larger caliber. I mostly punch holes in paper and a .22 does that quite well unless wind is involved, then the larger calibers seem to work better. .22 is a third cheaper on ammunition costs, uses less air, quieter, etc. These are important factors for me.

Other advantage to a .22 is that more people shoot it. It's more common so new improvements often come out in .22 before other calibers.

I punch paper, I plink, very little pesting and hunting, so for me, a .22 is a better choice.  I hope it works out that way for you as well.