22 vs 25

Bosshoss

Feb 21, 2024
Just getting into PCP guns and starting the search and first hurdle is figuring out caliber. .22 or .25.
Looking at cost and pellet selection and accuracy potential and anything I might have overlooked.
Right now I don't see any hunting just target shooting and maybe down the road some competition.
Right now I see target shooting consisting of 25 to 100 yards and maybe some longer ranges to just have some fun plinking long range targets.
I know there are probably lots of discussions about this here already but things change pretty fast so I thought I would bring it up again.
Thanks in advance and doing lots of research on what gun I want/need :unsure: but until I figure out the caliber I can't really start shopping for a rifle.

An opinion, if you enjoy mostly target shooting and some hunting of squirrel size animals and perhaps pesting up to racoon size (up close and accurately placed) then just get a .22. For myself, I hunt and pest about 90% up to coyote size animals and the only time I shoot paper is to check function after service and reset zero on a scope. The difference in smackdown between .25 compared to .22 for me is huge. Even at comparable energy. But, JSB is about to offer some heavier .22 pellets and if you are planning slugs then frankly I do not think it matters between the two. I like .25 and my next rifle may be a .30.

Last edited:
For general purpose target work, the 22 tends to be a bit more enjoyable for me. Cheaper ammo, larger selection of ammo, higher capacity mags, more shots with less filling, less bark, less target destruction. It's just an easier animal.

That said, if you want to concentrate more on the long range target work (100yds+) then the better ballistics that the 25 can offer may be advantageous.

Just getting into PCP guns and starting the search and first hurdle is figuring out caliber. .22 or .25.
Looking at cost and pellet selection and accuracy potential and anything I might have overlooked.
Right now I don't see any hunting just target shooting and maybe down the road some competition.
Right now I see target shooting consisting of 25 to 100 yards and maybe some longer ranges to just have some fun plinking long range targets.
I know there are probably lots of discussions about this here already but things change pretty fast so I thought I would bring it up again.
Thanks in advance and doing lots of research on what gun I want/need :unsure: but until I figure out the caliber I can't really start shopping for a rifle.
100% .22

You can de-tune a .22 to -/+ 15 FPE shooting 14.3gr pellets and get a ton of shots for target shooting, and if you want to juice it up and shoot high power 34gr pellets you can

I’d go with a .22 unless you want a dedicated long range slug gun. I understand.257 is very good in that role, but that’s kind of a specialized item.

.22 pellets are about half the price of .25, almost as cheap as .177 and there’s a huge selection available. You’ll also get more shots per charge which is nice as well.

I really don’t see any advantage to .25 unless you want the extra power for hunting.

The smallest caliber I really mess around with anymore is .25. The 14 16 18 gr .22 blow all over with the slightest breeze. Heck 25 grain .25 caliber is bad enough. With a .22 you have a smaller transfer port so you need a more powerful gun to push .22 heavier lead. I just find between 25.39 grain and 33.95 grain pellets most of my needs are met and still at a very reasonable price.

The smallest caliber I really mess around with anymore is .25. The 14 16 18 gr .22 blow all over with the slightest breeze. Heck 25 grain .25 caliber is bad enough. With a .22 you have a smaller transfer port so you need a more powerful gun to push .22 heavier lead. I just find between 25.39 grain and 33.95 grain pellets most of my needs are met and still at a very reasonable price.

Trucker3573 makes some great points, I’m going to expand a bit as the original poster seems a newbie…

I own at least 12 high end PCPs - from most every “major” manufacturer, with barrels in all common calibers: .177, .22, .25 and .30.

There are certain “noteworthy” pellets that shoot great in a wide range of rifles and across a wide range of speeds:

.177 - JSB 10.3g
.22 - JSB 18.13g (15.89g also very good)
.25 - JSB 25.4g (34g also very good)
.30 - JSB 44g

Points to consider:

If target shooting mostly 40 yards and in, .177 is great fun and economical on both air and pellet cost.

If target shooting mostly 60 yards and in, .22 is a great choice.

If target shooting with a focus between 50 and 80 yards, then the .25 with 25.4g pellet is a great choice.

If you are thinking of target shooting a pellet gun mostly past 80 yards, then invest in wind flags now, lol - even with .30 caliber, shooting pellets past 80 yards is a wind reading challenge.

Truckers point about heavy .22 pellets is something I don’t think newbies understand…

Because the back of a .25 25.4g pellet is fatter, it provides more area for the air to push against vs a .22 25.39g pellet.

This results is the .25 caliber shooting 25g pellets being able to use a lighter “tune” (lower regulator pressure and lighter hammer strike) to achieve similar velocity than a .22 caliber shooting 25g pellets.

I’ve found using a lighter tune enables accuracy and provides an overall more enjoyable shooting experience.

Finally, you will find the cost of shooting 25g pellets about the same with .25 and .22 calibers (350 pellets to a tin).

The gap between .22 and .25 is not that much - compared to say .25 vs. .30. So it’s really more about the distance you see yourself shooting most often.

Just some things to think about. Every newbie starts out thinking “yeah, I’m gonna be shooting targets at 100”… Then you do it the first time…

… 100 yards is a lot of walking, lol. You will need a high magnification scope to see your pellet holes at 100. You will need a calm wind day the first time you try it… or a really big piece of cardboard to make sure that you’re “on paper”…

Be realistic about your distance, then pick an appropriate caliber to start. They are ALL fun!

-Ed

Another reason to start with a 22 is that most popular airguns seem to be designed as a 22 and then modified a bit to make 177 and 25 calibers. Valve size, size of internal passages, etc. are really designed for a 22 caliber but will work for the others - just not as well. I don't know if high end guns are made this way but I suspect at least some are. It would be too expensive to totally redo the gun by caliber. The consequence is the 25 will be less powerful than a 25 design optimized for the caliber. If you want to shoot 25 grain 25 caliber pellets I don't think it makes a lot of difference. But if you want to shoot 34 grain, it may be challenging to get them up to speed.

I have two 25 caliber PCPs, two 22 caliber, and one 177 caliber PCP. I like 25 caliber but my next gun will probably be another 22 caliber. I see it as the best all around choice. Enough power for clean kills on small game, lots of pellet choices to find one accurate in your gun including pellets unavailable in 25 caliber, and good performance on targets.

Larger calibers do have an advantage on benchrest type target shooting, however, since you need to touch the higher point line for the score. A slightly bigger hole gives you a slightly higher chance of touching the line. IMHO you'd need to be a pretty serious bencrest shooter to buy a gun in this caliber for this advantage.

Thanks for the reply's.
Kind of what I figured a little love for both but I was thinking .22 and that seems a good place to start.
I have a background of shooting competition. Last 30 years has been mostly handgun in USPSA and some rifle and handgun in Steel Challenge and other disciplines.
I'm a gunsmith specializing in Revolver action jobs for competition and carry guns and general repairs.
I have had airguns over the years but nothing like what is available today.
After 30 years of running and gunning I'm looking to try sitting behind a bench and relaxing and just enjoy shooting.
I have sold a couple of guns that were just sitting in the safe so I can afford a fairly high dollar gun but just needing to sort out what I really want to do with this hobby.
The Western Sidewinder keeps catching my eye as the Semi Auto looks fun and I have had full auto guns before and while fun I got more enjoyment watching others shoot them after awhile. Of course the Sidewinder is not available anywhere and is on pre order.
I have a little trouble justifying spending that much when a used Daystate Red wolf can be bought for same money.
My head hurts:ROFLMAO:
Then I need a scope and compressor.o_O

Maybe I don't shop in the right places for ammo, but .22 was alot cheaper and more options than .25. Thus, sold the .25 shooter. On a windy day, yeah, those pellets really move around. Grew up using .22lr too. Cost has alot of influence on my choices, but don't ask me the insanity of justifying what I paid for my air rifles. :unsure: Liking .22 better for the moment and my shooting parameters.

I'm sure high end guns are fun but I wouldn't rule out less expensive ones, especially when you can tune them up. I am still enjoying my five under $500 guns but will probably try a more expensive gun sometime this year. My favorites are P35s. Light short bullpups. Accurate too. On the 30 yard challenge my 177 and 25 have shot a 194 and my 22 has given me one 200 (the goal). Regulated. The trigger will need adjusting and the hammer spring balanced against the regulator but all mine shot pretty well right out of the box. If you want to stay with high end ones you should look at the Daystate huntsman revere and the Air Maks Katran. They are not at all similar, huntsman looks a bit like a good quality powder burner and the Katran is virtually all metal with a folding stock. Not super powerful as seems to be in vogue these days but adequate power for small game and targets.

Maybe I don't shop in the right places for ammo, but .22 was alot cheaper and more options than .25. Thus, sold the .25 shooter. On a windy day, yeah, those pellets really move around. Grew up using .22lr too. Cost has alot of influence on my choices, but don't ask me the insanity of justifying what I paid for my air rifles. :unsure: Liking .22 better for the moment and my shooting parameters.

.22 is less expensive than .25 if you are shooting 18.13g or lighter .22 caliber pellets.

If you are shooting the heavy 25g .22 pellets, you will find they are the exact same price as 25g .25 caliber pellets. The large tin of .22 & .25 caliber 25g is 350 count.

If you check Pyramid Air right now for example, you will see that the .22 caliber 25g are actually slightly more expensive than the .25 caliber 25g.

For 100 yard benchrest competitions, I’ve observed about 4 pellets that are actually used - across all calibers:

25g in .22 caliber
34g in .25 caliber
44 and 50g in .30 caliber

Some shooters started experimenting with 56g .30 caliber pellets (Zan).

Basically, heavy pellets have an edge in the wind, and wind is almost always present over the expanse of 100 yards.