• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.22 vs .25 not what you think

Depends on what you're doing with the pellet.
Hunting wise for medium sized critters I'd prefer the added, albeit small, difference in the larger diameter. Technically the FPE for both should be the same. But more thump with the larger diameter.
Of course I said that but I'm using .22 Redesigns for raccoons right now, they end up just as dead and just as quick as my .25 Redesigns with a shot to the head.

25 cal doesn't have as good a record as the .22 in competition.

P.S.-I just re-tuned my Impact MK2 with a 600 mm barrel with Superior liner. Reg is 110 and it shoots 920 fps with JSB 33.95 gr KO slugs. So far, I'm very encouraged with it and plan to shoot in a 100 yard match next week.

.25 cal at 100 with slugs.jpg
Impact 25 at 100 yd with domes.jpg

Last edited:
If you shoot the same weight and design 22 pellet and 25 pellet at the same fps the 22 will penetrate further and the 25 will make a wider hole. I did not look it up but I think the 22 ballistic coefficient will be better too - so less wind drift and a little less drop. But it will take more air to get the 22 to the same speed.

Pro, the 25.39 will shoot great out of any 25 caliber airgun. If your gun won’t shoot it, sell it. Pro, the .22 25.39 is ballistically superior to the .25 25.39. Con, far fewer guns will shoot the .22 25.39. You have to have big power on tap in case you need it, you have to have a scale to weigh them and a head sizer to check them if you want to squeeze the most out of them.

Depends on what you're doing with the pellet.
Hunting wise for medium sized critters I'd prefer the added, albeit small, difference in the larger diameter. Technically the FPE for both should be the same. But more thump with the larger diameter.
Of course I said that but I'm using .22 Redesigns for raccoons right now, they end up just as dead and just as quick as my .25 Redesigns with a shot to the head.
What sort of velocity?

Last week I was comparing the JSB MK1 and MK2 's, 100 meters, Impact MK2.25x600 STX-A liner, speeds in between 915-930, 5 shot groups in 6 target rings each.
The MK1's groups better.
I have also resized a handful of each = I can confirm resizing matters, the difference is measurable.
As a side note ...
I have two OEM FX .25 mags which I taped the lead to the transfer hole (at a time I was still shooting MK2's), I filled one with MK1 and the other in MK2's, the MK1 skirts is slightly larger OD and conflicted with the tape. But the resized worked flawless in both mags...

Reactions: kd7rsrrze1
.22 JSB MRD VS .25 JSB KINGS.
Same basic weight, same velocity, what are the pros and cons one to another?
If you don’t mind going to the king heavy I think you will find a lot better flight characteristics.
Last week I was comparing the JSB MK1 and MK2 's, 100 meters, Impact MK2.25x600 STX-A liner, speeds in between 915-930, 5 shot groups in 6 target rings each.
The MK1's groups better.
I have also resized a handful of each = I can confirm resizing matters, the difference is measurable.
As a side note ...
I have two OEM FX .25 mags which I taped the lead to the transfer hole (at a time I was still shooting MK2's), I filled one with MK1 and the other in MK2's, the MK1 skirts is slightly larger OD and conflicted with the tape. But the resized worked flawless in both mags...
what did you resize with?

.25 cal. Either 25gr. Or 34gr. If you’re shooting for accuracy and consistency out of a factory gun. Consistency from lot to lot no matter which weight is far better than the .22 25.39gr.

I have tried the .22 MRD’s out of RedWolf’s (more than one) Impacts, Crown’s, and RAW’s. They lack consistency in every one of those guns and I got very frustrated and tired of trying to make them work. I will say the crown I owned shot them the best, maybe I just got a good liner?

I don’t care about the slightly better bc if I can’t get the pellets to accurately and consistently hit the bullseye.

Can you elaborate on what you consider (A measurable difference) is.
distance is 100 meters, testing liners (these below are the second and third out of 6) with pellets+Probe - with that in mind which liner would be a best suitable to tune for slugs for 200. This speed is a ballpark only, HS and VS is a ballpark, I just left it there, my interest is in patterns.

20230503_160227.jpg

20230503_160334.jpg