22 vs 25.... 25 obsolete?

A lot of us grew up using .22 rimfire rifles, then much later were introduced to airguns, and thus the .25 caliber for supreme knock-down power. Thanks Ted! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzAs7Vx-j4A Ground Squirrel Pest Control - Poison vs Pellets [contains hunting]

Besides, when using a semiautomatic for coyotes, I'd much prefer to pay for .25 caliber pellets rather than my 300 blackout suppressed ammo! Just sayin.

This is so interesting to me as I have always thought that air gunning has moved into too many larger calibers. I used to shoot .177 only (but I don't hunt so I am very narrow minded in that area)but just got a Diana Bandit in .22. and WOW do those pellets hit HARD. I have always been very successful with pesting (squirrels are my largest pest) with my .177 but I am really going to like using the .22 as a pesting platform. The extra expense is going to be worth it.

My BSA Lonestar .25 cal has more knockdown power on small animals than subsonic and standard velocity .22LR round nose ammo. I have to move up to Stingers and Velocitors to get more knockdown power. That means paying a lot more for ammo, and Velocitors and Stingers cannot be suppressed because they are far supersonic and have quite a ballistic crack way past the target, which sends prairie dogs running. The suppressed .25 cal causes far less commotion. To suppress a subsonic .22LR legally, you need a $200 tax stamp and about $300 more for the suppressor. The $109 that I paid for my DonnyFL Tanto suppressor is chump change by comparison. The .25 cal will have a long and useful life in small varmint hunting.

I have a highly modified. 22 cal. Hw 100 with a fx smooth twist barrel and a Dr.Bobs Buddie bottle kit installed. It loves the jobs 18.1 gr. Fx pellets(jsb). Their flying at 900 fps. Shooting dime size groups at 57 yards, with no wind. I get roughly 75 shoots before it falls off the regulator.

Wind comes up and they will move.

Same with my fx crown mark2 .25 cal.with a 600mm barrel on it shooting the JSB kings 25.39 gr. at 890 fps. 

Interesting that both calibers like close to the same velocity. Both kill ground squirrels effectively. 

Now I'm try to tune my Crown to shoot 28 gr. slugs, however I don't know what velocity , generally speaking, that I should have for a target velocity for the slugs. Any insight on this question?

As far as if the .25 is dieing, I doubt think so. Like the .20 , there are still individuals who feel that it's still and will remain a viable caliber. 

Just my opinion. 

From what I see from dealers as far as what they close out and what brands they drop. It appears the U.S. market keeps move up in power. It seems that they now feel that .177 is not a good seller. So now it starts at 22 cal with 25 cal next step up, then 30. So 25 has just dropped down one notch. Still very caliber to be in but most likely few owners in the future but not obsolete. Eric

I think the 25 has yet to shine! I've been testing all kinds of slugs for hunting & done allot of pellet testing as well. My 25 is pushing a 48gr slug @ 970 FPS with outstanding accuracy & over 100 flbs of energy. Still packs nearly 90 flbs at 60 yrds! In my neck of the woods, a .30 would be useless unless you just wanted one to hunt fox/coyote. We can't use anything smaller that a .357 for deer here in Ky. IMO, the .25 @ the power mention, would do just as well on fox & coyote as a .30 could do. Not to mention the ammo increase as you move upward in diameter.