• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.22 Veteran Short or Standard??

Hello all,

Been lurking for a long while and have finally convinced the wife I need a squirrel remover. I’ve been saying this for a while, but she wasn’t convinced until the other day when she saw four of the buggers digging up her freshly planted vegetable seeds....her attitude changed quickly after that!

Since I had been doing a lot of lurking and reading (thanks to all who continuously post) I have decided I am going to get a Taipan Veteran in .22 (a lot of time and thought went into this...) Now the question - do I go for the shorty or the standard?

I will be sending the little gray balls of fur to meet their maker from inside my house shooting out of windows and doors unsupported. Most shots will be 20-30 yard range. I also need this thing very quiet - not sure how neighbors in suburbia are going to feel about having pieces of lead flying around dispatching critters, so I want to keep a low profile. 

This all seems to support the short - but - I like to think that at some point in the future I may try to take longer shots (going camping, to the range, if we move, etc). Hence my thought about going to the standard. I am also looking to get the new Sightron STAC 4-20x50 FFP to mount on it - and that thing is 15” long - not sure if it would look silly on a 24” rifle. 

Last thing I can think of is that I’ll be using a hand pump - so it may be nicer to have the short since it will be filled up quicker. 

So, what days the crowd? Short or Standard? Anything I’m missing? The obvious choice is to just buy the short and long to cover both close in and long distance work - but let’s assume that for right now I only get one. 

For the 20-30 yard shots the short would work. I agree with @Chuckhunter that is a lot of scope for that range. I am not a fan of the FFP for hunting as you lose the outside of the reticle when you zoom in. I personally prefer SFP for hunting. FFP awesome for target shooting in my opinion.

I have a .25 std with a donnyFl sumo on it and it is dead quiet. The Vet is already quiet, but that makes it silent, the hammer will be your loudest part.

On a .22 short you will still get a good number of shots. now remember the vet fills to 250 bar. It doesn't mean you have to fill it that high as it has a regulator. you will just get less shots. That might be a good idea with a hand pump.
Now remember,

the Short gives you
Cons Pros
less efficient, less shots (shorter tank) less to pump, shorter easy carry, laser accurate.

Standard gives you
Cons Pros
bigger tank (might take a while to hand bigger tank more shots. longer barrel more efficient handles
pump to full) heavier pellets better, laser accurate.

Long gives you
Cons Pros
biggest tank (will take some more to hand Biggest tank even more shots, longest barrel more efficient handles
pump) slugs, laser accurate.

That is my take on it. No matter what they are great AGs

I would go with the short as well if you want extreme maneuverability. For extra quiet, just remember that you might need to add an additional moderator/LDC. If you shoot from within your house, you might not even need a moderator. Your house would act as a suppressor.

I don't see a problem for nutters at 20-30 yards with the short. The hand pump is fine if you're only taking occasional shots at the squirrels but if you plan to do some target shooting, I would seriously invest in a CF tank granted you have a place to fill it nearby or you also spring for a compressor. 

First thing first. You have to confess, those squirrels were paid actors so you can get your Taipan.... That being said:

I have a Veteran standard in .25 and I was hand pumping it until recently that I bought the Nomad2 compressor but is not difficult at all. As was mentioned before, you don't always have to fill to 250bar. If you plan to spend the day shooting paper then the pump is not ideal.

I would go with the standard if in your shoes. This is what I think... with the standard I can use it as it where the short... I can partially fill, the easy to carry, I will say is not that big of the deal, the standard size still pretty compact... compare it with the long version and this will be a valid point IMO. But with the standard you have to option to fully fill and get more shots, believe me when you are pumping, you will appreciate a higher shot count. Basically everything you can do with the short, you can do with the standard, but not the other way.

I also agree that you might need to add an LDC, they are not super loud, but with the LDC is mouse fart.

And again, you asked and we answer but all boils down to your preference. That's the most important point, make the decision that will make you happy, because you are the one that will be owning the rifle...

Good luck and either way you can't go wrong!

I love the Taipan, I don't know if you have tried one yet, but after you test that trigger, you will hooked!

The paid actors will pay back!

Thank you all for your input. I’ll probably end up going with the Short - it doesn’t seem that there are any .22 standard in stock in the US at this point in time. Since the paid actors squirrels (thanks Orion for calling me out...) are starting to demand their pay I’m going to have to take care of them soon - so may as well go with what is in stock, unless I can pick one up used. There is also the consideration that my wife is currently behind me going down this route - need to take the shot while I can (see what I did there?? Yeah, I’m easily amused)

I guess I could always go with .25 caliber, but that is another discussion...

I have the shorty. I get 42 shots on the reg at 31+ flbs from a 250 bar fill. I backed out on the hammer spring and shot 14.3 JSB's at 700 fps, which is about 15.5 ftlbs, plenty to kill a squirrel at those ranges. You will get around 80 shots, the gun will be quieter, you won't have to pump as much and less energy in a neighborhood is always better.

My take, I guess, is different. The compact and standard cost the same. You get more from the standard, but can always throttle it back to the compact if you like. Can't bring the compact up to the standard specs, though. 

I have the .22 long and Derek, zx10 man, power tuned it to 48 fpe with the Monster RD's. Factory shroud is all that's aboard...rifle has extended plenum installed, higher reg. setting, etc. I'm not popping a penny for a moderator. Don't need it and I bet you don't either. Complete silence...sure, but for $120+? Or not enough of a sound to turn a head....for the price of the rifle alone and not a penny more? Sign me up for that, please. Oh, I already did....

Pumping. I have a Sumatra 2500 500cc, a Benji Synrod, the Taipan Vet .22 long, Cricket .25 standard, Daystate Regal XL, and a WAR Flex .30. I've been pumping them all for 3 years. I'm 47 years old, 5'5'', 145#...maybe 150# if I overeat a meal. If you actually know how to HPA pump, it is not difficult. Not fast, but not difficult. When I only had 1 gun, a Synrod .25 (only good for 3 mags or 24 shots at the most), if I was target shooting or tuning, I'd shoot 8 shots, pump 33 times and shoot 8 more shots. It all depends on how you manage the pumping. Now I can toggle between rifles, unless I need one for a specific reason (like a .22 for legal hunting in my area). Do not let folks dissuade you from this fill method. When you decide to step up, as I will eventually, I would advise to look to the gun filling compressors in the $600-700 range. For 1/2 the price of a rifle you can fill while you take a leak

Scopes. Everyone has an opinion. Everyone has a preference. I've been through a few models. What did I learn?

1. Every new scope made weighs way too much...they are approaching 2 freaking pounds!!! Trust me...the weight of your scope matters more than you think.

2. Illuminated reticles are nice, but I have never used one yet in a real world, hunting situation. You won't either for squirrels. All it adds is more weight. Try to find a scope without it...takes a while, but they are out there.

3. 30 yards. 50 yards. How much magnification do you think you need? I can put dollars to donuts you don't need that much. How do I know? I've shot 24x and 9x and with either one I can put a pellet in a squirrel's head at 55 yards . Unless you are target shooting, chances are if you get more than a 9x or 12x scope, you are buying too much magnification for your application.

4. UTG glass sucks. I thought my Athlon glass sucked, besides weighing too much. UTG is entry level. Athlon's have been highly rated by everyone...great glass, great features, warranty, etc. I got it and was not Wowed. There just didn't seem to be any "real" scopes out there for air rifles. Until...

5. Leupold 3-9x33 EFR. One look through it and I was not Wowed. I was floored. So this is what a good optic is supposed to look like. Ah, now I understand. Model #175075. A hunting scope, period. No illumination, only a fine duplex reticle, only a 33mm objective lens, but holy poope....what a bright, clear, edge-to-edge view. For how much??? I found it for $250 delivered, though most have it at $299. I had paid $306 for the Athlon Argos BTR 6-2x50 last June and they're now at around $270. I sold my Athlon last week and bought my second Leupold. USA made with a lifetime warranty...and 12 OUNCES!!!!! This is my opinion.

Hope this is in someway helpful or at least a good read for you. Best of luck jumping in...let us know what your second selection is going to be...no one seems to stop at one!