.22 Uragan 73yds

Wanted to get out and shoot some groups on a day it wasn't windy to find out how good it can do. This morning while windless weather wise, it was 28* this morning and the orchard surrounding our house had there wind machines on so I had to shoot in-between when they weren't point my way. Anyways, Uragan is shooting the FX 15.9gr pellets at 930-940fps. Clearly showing it's precision here. 6 different 5 shot groups at 73yds. All shot consecutively. Group #1 was shot at top left target where group #2 is at to get my holdover. I then dialed elevation to shoot groups #2-#6. Group #1 was .69", #2 .37", #3 .82, #4 .30, #5 .47 and #6 .92. Average group size .595". About .77 MOA. Not too shabby!

IMG_20220320_073059843.1647788327.jpg

I do need to figure out my shooting though. Groups 2-6 were all shot held on the center target. 2-4 were right of the target and 5-6 were left. Not sure if it was the pressure I had on the rear bag being slightly different every group? Gun was also acclimating to the temp difference from in the garage which is 50*ish to 28*. Not sure. Vertical was pretty consistent so can't complain there.

Excellent shooting, regardless of the very small differences in poi you mentioned. I suspect you're right regarding hold and bag pressure. My impact is a heck of a lot more sensitive to hold than my previous full size uragan was, or my current uragan compact is.

My full length 0.22 also really liked the 16grain jsb/AA (much more than 18gr) and would do similar groups at 930. I often used to shoot it for groups at 80+m and it always impressed. It was even better dialed down to the 895-900 range, with a little more consistency than at the higher speeds. 

It's one of those guns that really is everything you could need in an airgun. If it weren't for the 'try something new' bug we all suffer from, there would be very few used ones for sale.

Thanks! Yeah I agree I think it was simply hold. It's not a huge shift being less than 2" overall at that distance but enough to notice. And yeah I've had guns do much worse! I was shooting prone off tripod and rear bag. Loading mags in between so makes sense. 3 and 4 were from same mag and 5 and 6 from same mag and can see there similarities.

Anyways yeah it's a very good shooting gun with these pellets. I've switched for a good year of only shooting 16gr variants of the JSBs. Had too many inconsistencies with the 18gr over multiple guns. Most seem to do better with 16gr. And yes as far as tune I do think I want to turn it down a hair to the 900fps range where I normally shoot them. I just wanted a real baseline of how it did at this setting and I can't complain!

And yes I think I've settled on this gun as my last one. It's such a great gun that's quiet, accurate, robust, forward cocking, powerful if wanted, tons of shots, very well balanced, love the mags, and very comfortable to get behind. There's only one that's been calling my name for a long time that I've never gotten to try....but I don't think it's worth giving up this gun for it so I doubt I ever will. That being the RTI Prophet .22 LR. I can't say never but in reality I don't see it being a better gun that I'd gain much over it so doesn't make sense. Mainly the cocking only on left and the comfort of the gun with the lack of a nice butt pad and cheek piece is my biggest hold back. Oh and needing a moderator. Just adds more length than I really want. So for now the Uragan is staying.

The only way I was able to enjoy my uragans the way i speak of them .. was tensioning the barrels .. hear this , if not I would have sold them as fast I took the first few shots.. for me it was that bad.. so nop is not your hold .. is the barrel dancing around.. I already made a post about it .. even my .25 in low power was impossible to see were the dam pellet was going .. the .30 way worst .. barrels tensioned night n day difference now I would not trade them for anything..

I tried to post a picture but it doesn't work.. between the barrel shroud and the block is a space cut a spacer 1/16 longer than the space available it varies between rifles but not by much..spacer mus be solid n thick like sc 40 pvc pipe... or preferably a solid spacer cut in a lathe or 3d printed.... a word direct from the inside.. said I can't manage to do the same groups with the uragans..like the ones I do with the crickets .. in my other post I showed what was the thickness of the barrels.. cricket barrels are almost as tick as airforce ones..were the uragan barrels are even thinner that 9/16 .. like 14 point Something mm tick. 

Interesting...I think one can use a washer there. Mine has a gap of 1.29mm which is very thin. Either nylon or a metal washer should work. As you can see I have zero issues on the precision of the rifle. But the slight poi shift at distance can be an issue when pesting. Very simple thing to test though. 

And Randall thanks! As far as 2nd child yes she was born on 2/22/22. She's doing very good!

Dave, thanks I appreciate it! The part # I got from the bin at Ace is 72873-L. Was in a box of assorted Nylon washers.

Augie, those look great! Assuming for Impact?

For sure! The flanged one is for a 600mm shroud. When I designed these I took into account to have the shroud in the 600 pushed further forward when compressed down, so the valve knob adjustment outwards wasn’t limited as it came from the factory 

So with my testing I found basically no discernable difference with the washer vs not. Not sure what my issue was exactly. I think my parallax was just a hair off on that day. Shot at 52yds today and 4 different mags and poi was the same. Shot 2 groups 3 days ago or so and poi was the same as then.

I don't have the washer on it for now. But that was my personal gun. Others could be different. Mine has no issue with accuracy though. It's a laser.

I hope you figure your .25 out @WorriedMan!

@bigragu those look like they should do great! Hopefully they work well for you!

Mercado,

Please elaborate on the Uragan barrel tensioning you mentioned. My new standard .25 Uragan can't even match my $300 Umarex Gauntlet .25 in accuracy. What was the title of your post regarding barrel tensioning, I'd like to look it up. Thanks, WM

My Vulcan 2 in .25 Cal is SUPER accurate. I share a picture of groups at 100 yards made a year ago with diverse rifles:

90 mts nov 2019.1648395146.JPG

My shooting should have improve in this year.

As soon as I can I will make some new groups and share with you.