.22 special LP53

Just wanted to share my .22 LP53K (Only one in the world as far as i know)

This is the second of my LP53K specials, but this time re-barrelled in .22 using some Walther barrel bank from Chambers.
After shortening the barrel casing down to 8“, i set up the barrel in a jig, boring out the OEM inner steel barrel liner and replaced it with the Walther barrel blank.
It was done by a combination of boring out the old barrel and machining down the Std stock Walther blank until a slide fit was achieved.
Not an easy task.
I went for a sliding fit, rather than a drive, to prevent the risk of cracking the outer alloy OEM casting.
Then relying on 2 small grub screws to hold the barrel liner in place.

I had to machine the O ring groove for the breech, working similar to how Walther had done the .177 but had to go up slightly in diameter to permit the larger bore. A readily available O ring was chosen.
I have initially gone with a stock port which may change, but my usual internal re-fit and my own leather seal is identical to the .177 i have done.

Results. JSB Express .22 14.3 grain are making 400 fps and managing half inch groups.
Completely unaffected by wind.
Sights are not stock as i didnt have the OEM sights for this gun.
However, this set from an old Diana 25 fit perfectly on the receiver and offer a fast sliding Elevation ramp has proven very useful for setting it quickly at 2 zeros i use. I never understood why this great sight design was dropped by Diana in the 60s.
The sight picture is much better than the OEM sight on my .177 and is more robust, offering a longer sight base.
My goto close range ratting tool.

BDD248B2-F798-4F10-BE39-7501838FBD29.jpeg

Last edited: