• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

22 RD Monster comparison…..

I just thought it was interesting that the jacked up pellets shot about the same.

Jimmy….I’m thinking that a company that sells all the product it can make is not likely going to get too worried about doing anything better. I think their focus will be to do it faster, unfortunately. Much of the trouble, anyway, is getting it from there to here without beating it up. I bought about a dozen cases of pellets one time and they loaded them on a pallet with one strap. By the time the truck got to me, there was only 1 case left on the pallet and the rest were spread around the back of the truck with varying degrees of damage.

I’m more and more disillusioned with competitive pellet shooting these days. It’s a lot of work to find decent pellets. A guy can make perfect slugs at home for 1-3 cents a piece with a minimal investment….plus you can actually shoot respectably in about any wind.

Mike

Amen bro!

I know you guys are talking .22 cal. re design's but it's no different with .177cal. I have ten's of thousands of old and new style Monsters from dozens of batches from dozens of vendors and the only thing consistent is that they are inconsistent!!! From many variations in the depth of the rear punch mark to the head size not being anywhere near what's on the tin (if it's even marked on the tin or box!! Why they even bother to put the sticker on there is beyond me!!) to the weight differences. I haven't gotten a really good shooting tin of them in years!! I have a few good tins of the original monsters that shoot very well from years ago left that I keep for indoor benchrest shoots but even then you never know when that totally unexpected flyer will screw you at the most inopportune time!! I'm with Mike, finding the ammo is the problem if your looking to shoot really well and it seems to get harder all the time!! I guess that's just the way it is going to be because as was said in this thread they ain't going to improve it if they are selling it faster than they can produce it!! J.L.

For what it's worth here's one of the tins of 25 cal King I got from Zan. Very narrow weight range and mostly the same head size.

709AF29C-9E68-4836-A2AC-A25AC656F66E.1640100082.jpeg

E910E72C-DE1F-448E-AA31-FA8FB6D2A42F.1640105428.jpeg
0D3CBEBC-A006-4530-9608-20EC98CDC719.1640105431.jpeg
This is so interesting about pellets. After I saw Mike’s results at 100 yards with imperfect pellets I had to try it with my gun.

So I damaged some skirts and shot at 50 yards. I was very surprised to see how well they shot. Only one was out of the sighter target (one hole was already there from another session).

I’m not going to bother to sort pellets, just a quick visual while loading. The blast of high pressure air must instantly reshape the skirts well enough for decent accuracy.

Thanks for pointing this out Mike, I never would have even tried pellets this messed up and now I can skip an unnecessary step.

I have a call to the distributor of JSB to help with an answer.

Any luck with that? I exchanged emails with the distributor and even the owner of JSB.

At first they said they would replace the bad pellets I received over last summer. Then they ghosted me after I gave them my address...

Bummed by this thread. I was hoping to see that things have been rectified. Only to learn that they're now even worse!

because of those pellets, i was forced to dive into slugs, I bought redesigneds from jsb and also from fx and both are very deformed, I preferred to try a variety of slugs and finally I found that the h & n 23gr work perfectly

I got some H&Ns slugs but ran out of warm weather to test them. What gun, velocity, liner etc. did you find worked well with them?

My Crown with a 600mm slug A was great with the old RDs, but went to crap when I ran out of them. I've got superior and superior heavy liners to try now too, but haven't even installed them yet. Gonna be a long winter. :(

Unfortunately the new Redesigns are a different design that the original as well.

Here's 3 different generations all with a different depth at the base. The oldest worked the best me far right groups. Unfortunately I've only got a few tins of thise left.

View attachment 184146
That's EXACTLY what I found out. But my latest tins of the 25.39 look and shoot very similar to the tins I bought in 2019 before the redesign, redesign. They look like the 2019 thin skirted pellets and not the thick skirted ones, that as far as my air rifles go, didn't like.

As a life-long airgunner, professional writer, and amateur psychico_O, in my first book a quarter-century ago I correctly predicted Crosman's fall from grace as the 'Premier' pellet supplier to serious shooters (The Manic Compressive- copyright 1998). Where they once dominated all airgun field competitions, Crosman Premiers are now a virtual no-show in serious airgunning circles. Goes without saying "I told you so", so I'll just keyboard it!

As excerpted from the chapter titled 'Ammo'-

"In my lifetime of airgunning, Crosman Premiers make the Crosman SuperPells of my youth seem oh-so-crude! ...exceptional is my best description for them, as it's the rare gun that doesn't group them as well or better than any other pellet. That said, I have felt just as strongly in the past about Beeman Silver Jets, then RWS Superdome, then Eley Wasp, then Marksman Field Target Specials. I feel that one reason Crosman Premiers do so well is the fact that, so far, their quality control seems more consistent than others'."

"Often the consistency of quality pellets seems to vary as much from batch to batch, as from brand to brand. Some have been so bad that I threw away as many as I shot. There's no excuse for selling pellets that bad, so RWS, Eley, and H&N can consider this truth to be my payback for all those times they should have replaced their dies sooner! Crosman would do well to do well... meaning quality must remain high if you expect to stay on top!"

Given this forum thread, a quarter-century after I wrote it JSB would do well to read that last sentence... and take it as prophecy that they are well on their way to following in Crosman's SOILED footsteps:poop:. Having many times stated I've shot JSBs almost exclusively ever since they came out, I write the next paragraph with trepidation and dread.

JSB has not only created the perfect storm of their own destruction, but the perfect opportunity(s) for their replacement in the market. So far it seems the little guys are taking advantage of the opportunity; mostly supplying excellent slugs to the exponentially growing airgun slug market. However it's only a matter of time before those folks and/or a major manufacturer/competitor realize the growing hole in the pellet market and FILL THAT HOLE.

Suffice to say it is usually only a matter of time and opportunity before smugness succumbs to Reality; in this case, the market reality of supply and demand. Hey JSB, We The People Of Airgunning DEMAND truth and quality ammo. And if you can't supply it, WE'LL TAKE OUR BUSINESS ELSEWHERE.

The ball's in your court, JSB. But if you don't pull your head(s) out, not for long. Or you can choose to ignore this post, thread, and drum-beat.

RR card.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, Matt. When writing about anything I'm passionate about, the words seem to come together almost of their own volition.

FWIW, if someone associated with JSB isn't paying attention to the Airgun Nation forum, they may be more negligent than we think. You'd think a thread like this one, with such INVALUABLE FEEDBACK from their best customers, would find its way to associated Powers That Be one way or another.

Just bought a few tins of the FX branded JSB 25.39 redesigned that are all made from the same die. Here is 1 tin sorted by head size. Majority sized 5.55, some 5.56.JSB 25.39 redesigned that are made by all the other dies and batches together I had head sized from 5.52 up to 5.57 and everything in between. Will see how they all weigh out.

20220817_185109.jpg

Reactions: Centercut
The JSBs are a single die as well. The particular die is numbered and is the first 2 digits of 8 printed on a small red label. They don’t just use multiple dies and lump them together in a tin. The difference is that JSB probably has 50 different dies to choose from. The problem is that most retailers don’t really want you to know what die you are getting so the individual tins are not marked. The sleeve boxes that usually hold 9-10 tins are always marked….and so are the cases.

Mike

Reactions: Richieg