• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

22 RD Monster comparison…..

A 95% barrel builds up lead slowly. As the build up takes place your poi will usually move very slightly each successive shot. ….then the build up releases when it becomes too great and you get your flier. If you are patient enough.. this can be seen with a bore scope down the barrel every shot till you reach a flyer. You have to locate the problem area first. Most barrels have multiple problem locations. Most barrels are less than they could be because of machining.

I don’t get any more flyers at 100 than I do at 50.
Mike

Mike design your rifles and barrels around slugs and I’m all in . I want a rifle that is tuned with a slug made on Corbin dies and I want the dies as well,lol.
I’m just curious how you buy a gun with a barrel that doesn’t throw the occasional flyer shooting RDMs? It seems like ALL guns do it, even the two .22 Thomas HP-X that I know friends have…

I don’t have control over how people manage their equipment once it’s in their possession. It takes a while for people to learn. Some guys don’t even clean their barrels. When a rifle comes back to me with problems…it’s a 99% guarantee that they haven’t cleaned the barrel properly…or enough. There is about a hundred ways to do it wrong. Maintaining a competition gun at its peak is not a simple task….even I fall short at times on my own guns. I don’t have trouble with flyers like you do using unsorted monsters. That fact alone indicates it’s not the pellets.

• Haha
Reactions: Centercut
I’ve probably mastered 99 of the wrong ways. Mike, I would love to learn your cleaning routine unless it’s a guarded and proprietary trade secret?

From what I’ve gleaned from above its learning where the point of degradation of “your” barrel is and then performing some sort of cleaning just shy of that point?

That’s about right.

Sometimes you have to choose what may hurt you less. If I do not clean my slug gun every card there is a 50/50 chance that I will have a problem the next card. If I clean it…I have to take 25 shots before I can fully trust it. Taking an additional 25 shots before you get on the card when you only have 20 minutes to shoot 25 record bulls is a burden. I gambled on Saturday not cleaning before a card so I could have extra time and it hurt me. On Sunday I cleaned every card and had to deal with only 15 minutes to shoot. I did much better Sunday. Would be nice if the choice was simple….but it’s not always that way.

I see lots of guys pulling dry patches. Dry patches do pretty much nothing but move lead around. That will simply delay the inevitable for a bit. If you pull a patch through the barrel and you’re not worried that the cord may break…it’s probably not tight enough. Loose patches are useless. I break cords all the time. I use a cleaning solvent that all the gurus tell you not to use. Shows how much I know. 😀

I had 4 guys at my house for a few days before the N50 Nats. All of them suffered massive flyers that went sideways through the targets with a frequency of 3 or 4 occurrences per match. Lots of xs….and then a target ruining flyer. Easy to blame the pellets. One change to their maintenance procedure completely eliminated the fliers immediately. No machining, pellet sorting, or any other nonsense was involved in the fix. The same guys took home most of the medals.
Mike
Any chance you’ll share this simple change to the maintenance procedure that fixed four known flyer barrels without machining or pellet sorting? I think most of us on here would love to try it out and see….

I have no idea on your gun.

I had 5 tins of partial RD Monsters left over from N50 Nationals. I counted them and put them into 1 tin. 133 or 134 in total. I set up and shot this group at 100y using up all the pellets. The wind varied from straight left to right to near straight right to left with tailwinds included. My largest hold was around 3.5 MOA. I took about 5 or 6 sighters to get my elevation….but once I started the group I didn’t take any more. I made my adjustments based on the 3 flags. I would not call any of these shots flyers for a pellet gun at 100y. The furthest shot from center is 1.2 MOA. These pellets were purchased from Pyramyd maybe 3 weeks ago. No sorting and a mixture of 5 different tins.

Mike
CB5A2602-5E84-46E7-B106-E417CCDD9C93.jpeg

Reactions: rsfrid