.22 Pellets for Steyr Pro X Scout

Would appreciate any feedback on what .22 pellets you’ve found most accurate in the Scout. I‘m using AA 18gr at 850fps which work pretty well out to about 50-60 yds but when I go beyond that they don’t seem to group as well as I hoped they would. My farthest targets are about 80 yds with one long shot of 165 yds across the river from my place and at that range they’re all over the place esp with the wind so can’t blame that on the pellets. Can’t use slugs since I have neighbors near enough that I don’t want to risk it.

HAM touts H&N Baracuda Match at 21gr at the power level I’m using (28-29ftlbs) so will give those a try but figured there would be some of you who have tested a lot of other pellets and wanted to see if there was any consensus on what works the best.
Thanks.

I will be in the same boat as you, pellet testing with my recently acquired Pro X (long one, not the Scout).

Having no history on a second hand gun, I'm starting from scratch. But I did note on the test card from Steyr that they used 15.89's for in-house accuracy testing - Although I also noticed that the test card was for a shorter 'Scout' version. I guess that whoever traded the gun in had both the long and short versions.

So with my testing just about to start, I'm going to begin with 15.89's. Maybe not a great pellet for the longer distances you are shooting though. Unless you are fortunate enough to shoot regularly in calm conditions!

Reactions: MarineO6
Steyr puts out a beautiful product, well made and stout. It's interesting loading the straight magazine that is used as any bent skirts show up immediately.
I would agree with HAM as I also had good results using the HN Baracuda Match 21.14gr, 5.52 head size. I cannot however verify 165 as I never tried going that far on a pest. The 18.1gr HN weren't around when I owned that rifle, but I have had good results with them in the Crown at ± 900FPS.
I hope that this helps a little.
mike

Steyr puts out a beautiful product, well made and stout. It's interesting loading the straight magazine that is used as any bent skirts show up immediately.
I would agree with HAM as I also had good results using the HN Baracuda Match 21.14gr, 5.52 head size. I cannot however verify 165 as I never tried going that far on a pest. The 18.1gr HN weren't around when I owned that rifle, but I have had good results with them in the Crown at ± 900FPS.
I hope that this helps a little.
mike
Thanks Mike…do you recall what the fps was on the Baracudas?

I've tried the JSB 16's and 18's, I can't tell a difference in precision between them in my full size ProX. I don't shoot either much past 50Y normally.

Harder to seat in the mag are the CP 14.3's but they are less expensive and are what I plink with on close steel. These aren't quite as precise as either of the other pellets I've tried.

Oh boy.... you're taxing my pea brain here as I sold that rifle about 5 years ago now. Rather than give you bogus information with a guess, I will politely decline to comment.
I do recall checking the port/choke that is accessed just behind the bolt on the top rail to get as much air through it as possible. It already had the largest port installed from the factory as it was a 40-joule gun. I also have a couple of Steyr informational sheets for the regulator and the port/choke if you want them?
Mine was the Hunting 5 Semi-Automatic. I really liked the gun and didn't want to sell, but also didn't want to beat such a beauty up while hunting.... doesn't make sense, but that's what happened.
Sorry for the memory loss.
mike