.22 over 80ft and .25 over 95 ft lb. How?

Good Infor there MIKE!

Okay, I went out and shot 85-100 yards at two pigeons. Mid body, non chest, non wing shot. Birds took off and flew away. These are 36.5 gr NSA hollow point in 25 cal going 980fps for 78FPE. I am not convinced you guys can take pigeons down under 60fpe and at 100 yards unless it's a headshot or solid slugs. . 

These NSA shot better after a polish job and gone through 500 slugs. You talked about not needing power to kill, I need them bad, don't know about you, and I am not trying to convince anyone.

-------

since this is not a hunting thread i cant post a link here. but i have proof if anyone wants to see. 

Lol no need to convince someone who doesn't want to believe. I've been shooting pigeons since I was under 10 with break barrel pellet guns and then shotguns for years now back to airguns the past 5 years. Thousands of pigeons in my life. Killed many out to 100yds with 30fpe .22s. Body shots at that. DRT. Shot placement is king compared to FPE for airguns. I killed many pigeons with a .177 R7 at 15-20yds. An on target FPE of around 6fpe at best. A JSB 18gr has 13fpe at 100yds shot at 880fps. So your telling me a 13fpe gun can't kill a pigeon with a body shot point blank? Watch what our UK brothers can do with sub 12fpe guns at distance with proper shot placement. Plenty of evidence around you just don't want to believe it.

Dairyboy, Its not that i don't want to believe, but my case is probably different. it's probably me pulling the shot, or the wind took it a bit to the right.

I do believe shot placement is king, and i have seen sub 12 ft.lbs taking pigeons 25-50 yards. I have not seen 12 ft.lbs at 100 yards vs pigeons. Maybe you can point me to a video with someone taking that shot? 

I have shot pigeons front quarter, to the chest and it goes down. but body shots left quarter at 100 yards failed 2 times. I am sure left quarter chest shot would work. But somehow this one got away, i dont even think it penetrated. you can see the video in the link for your self. plugged the feathers but didn't get through her thick armor. I wish she doesn't come back at me with her steel talons or golden beak. Payback is a beach. I may need my backup 12 gauge ready with slug loads....

What's is wrong here? it's probably me....I don't know. 

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/bird-got-away-with-36-5-nsa/

Unless you get hydrostatistic shock its completely normal. Iv seen game birds shot with 308win fmj that just fly away wounded after. Birds have relatively small killswitch areas if you just zip through and most common area to hit on bad shot is too low and just ruin birds intestines. Its by far more important how you place your shot than fpe especially if you cant get hydroshock and/or about to actually eat that bird. 

Unless you get hydrostatistic shock its completely normal. Iv seen game birds shot with 308win fmj that just fly away wounded after. Birds have relatively small killswitch areas if you just zip through and most common area to hit on bad shot is too low and just ruin birds intestines. Its by far more important how you place your shot than fpe especially if you cant get hydroshock and/or about to actually eat that bird.

Exactly this. My absolute worst hunting experience was trying to dispatch a goose on with a .22 rimfire. It took nearly 20 shots and 5-6 minutes to dispatch it!

That's very interesting! Seeing that shot it doesn't make sense as it looks like a good hit but it doesn't even seem phased. That's a head scratcher. 

I will admit myself I shot pigeons for a few times with my .30 but I had multiple that after being shot through the chest would fly off then fall out of the air some 20-30yds away. So confused I would check them and even though with a huge gaping hole the size of a quarter out of them they still manage to fly off. 

I also clearly remember one Eurasian dove that I shot with my .30 off a fence at about 45yds. Plugged him straight through the chest. Fell backwards wings locked up looked DRT. Went to go get it and he was walking around trying to get away. Again huge hole in the chest and grain falling out of it but still was walking around just fine.

So with my experiences like that and just the large difference in power for safety behind target and such I decided to go back to .22 and haven't seen any negatives over using the .30. Sure I get the occasional ones that fly off still and such but no different than when I used a 80fpe .30.

Birds with .30 cal holes walking around? Birds that took 20 of rimfire shots? and birds took 308? i am going to start caling those rambo birds. get this...there was no penetration in this case! go to the hunting thread for a picture. 

Its a head scratcher for me as well. So this is one of the same moments when you start thinking, how the heo? it happens to me a lot of times and its pushing me either be a better shot or have more fpe to offset. 

Its easy for me to hit a bird front quarter and kill it at 50 yards. it has variables when at 100 yards especialy with that rainbow. 

I am starting to think i need headshots, heart and lung shots. i need the fpe to carry the slug there at 100 yards relatively on a straighter line. I cannot click on this diginal ATN night sight, so hold over is all i can do thus the need for power goes on...mainly for trajectory due to the stated reasons. 

pigeons breasts tastes good. 

Ok been watching guys from Africa and they claim their. 22 impact is easily shooting over 80 ft lb. They also said the .25 can shoot over 95 ft lb. How the heck are they doing this? I have a mk2 with PP and bought huma high power reg, and huma dual port, and fx slug power kit pin probe. I set reg to 150 bar. Shooting 33.5gr (.25 cal) nsa slug. My hammer wheel is set to max. Valve adjustment is fully open. I'm pushing the 33.5gr nsa max up to 980 fps. I calculate that in PA calculator and it only give me about 71 ft lb. So how the heck am my .25 cal max out to only 71 ft lb, and they claim their .22 is easily over 80 ft lb. Isnt .25 suppose to be more powerful than a .22 cal? I'm not even close to that 95 ft lb they claim the .25 can do. What am I doing wrong here????

Hey the solution is increase your reg pressure.
I have a fx maverick sniper .25 cal
Reg pressure 1e reg 200 bar reg pressure 2e reg 175 bar.
I have made myself a tungsten hammer and i have instal a slug liner and a slug powerkit.
It does now with a 38.5 grain NSA slug 96 ft/lbs and with a 44 grain ZAN slug 107 ft/lbs
By the way the tungsten hammer was my last attempt to increase power but it didnt chance anything, i am stil thinking how to get more power out of it but i dont know yet how to do.

Kind reagards Johan

20220610_204731.jpg

Reactions: rigbymauser
They don't NEED to shoot anything that far with a air gun in South Africa..Need...no They don't..2 of them have-- 22-250 rifles for when the wind really kicks in and have to eat any way ... its has been in other treads ..that the rifles they use.have the latest mods from the man it self...in order to make a show..lisen a show ..to sell more rifles to people that think that they run of the mill recent purchase will do exactly the same...pcp continue to evolve . Better regulators better n more powerful valves..power will continue to go up until 40g could be shot effortlessly .thanks to those who push the envelope just for what it is the FUN of achieving the next step.

They don't NEED to shoot anything that far with a air gun in South Africa..Need...no They don't..2 of them have-- 22-250 rifles for when the wind really kicks in and have to eat any way ... its has been in other treads ..that the rifles they use.have the latest mods from the man it self...in order to make a show..lisen a show ..to sell more rifles to people that think that they run of the mill recent purchase will do exactly the same...pcp continue to evolve . Better regulators better n more powerful valves..power will continue to go up until 40g could be shot effortlessly .thanks to those who push the envelope just for what it is the FUN of achieving the next step.
When I saw this thread, I thought, why in hell would anyone want to develop an 80+ fpe .22 air rifle, when that power level is readily available in .22 RF, without having to fuss with O rings, valves, and HPA. I read your post, and I guess I still have the same question. But, if there is an attraction to such a money pit, I wish you good luck.

When I saw this thread, I thought, why in hell would anyone want to develop an 80+ fpe .22 air rifle, when that power level is readily available in .22 RF, without having to fuss with O rings, valves, and HPA. I read your post, and I guess I still have the same question. But, if there is an attraction to such a money pit, I wish you good luck.
Maybe many people live in places where so far a RF can be shot even in your land I really don't know what state in us is like that but here in PR ..even when as far as you could see is yours.. you will be in jail in no time PB can't be shoot even in your own land..+ most PB ranges end at 200y there is when a long range airgun comes handy..in .224 mold I have more than 2g n by the time I finish my .224 would have cost give or take 4g .. because hear this I don't see the sense is 80fp I want close to 160 🤣🤣🤣in 22 cal ..Last time I crony my gun it made 149 FP in low power.. with a 62g bullet.. from there I moved to other guns and now I'm back to finish that project..money doesn't matter we all know..we could be gone tomorrow.. so the answer to your question is why not .. if it could be done..why be happy with a PALISADE .. if you could drive a PANAMERA...let other enjoy what ever they going for...if someone had questioned slugs .. when it started we would not be where we are today..n still be shooting pellets..diversity is part of the sport..

Reactions: vnaggel85
Maybe many people live in places where so far a RF can be shot even in your land I really don't know what state in us is like that but here in PR ..even when as far as you could see is yours.. you will be in jail in no time PB can't be shoot even in your own land..+ most PB ranges end at 200y there is when a long range airgun comes handy..in .224 mold I have more than 2g n by the time I finish my .224 would have cost give or take 4g .. because hear this I don't see the sense is 80fp I want close to 160 🤣🤣🤣in 22 cal ..Last time I crony my gun it made 149 FP in low power.. with a 62g bullet.. from there I moved to other guns and now I'm back to finish that project..money doesn't matter we all know..we could be gone tomorrow.. so the answer to your question is why not .. if it could be done..why be happy with a PALISADE .. if you could drive a PANAMERA...let other enjoy what ever they going for...if someone had questioned slugs .. when it started we would not be where we are today..n still be shooting pellets..diversity is part of the sport..
Oh, I understand the "it's only money" thing all to well. I did a lot of sports car track stuff for about 10 years, pissed away enough money to buy a nice house. But, it was fun, I learned what driving was all about, and I don't regret a minute of it. And I was serious in wishing good luck to those similarly inclined to such foolishness.

I don't see the sense in a semi automatic..357 HP gun but there will be some who's already have made a deposit..awesome for them..not cup but..amazing gun anyway..🙂 .. and I be happy for those who get them..
Oh, I understand the "it's only money" thing all to well. I did a lot of sports car track stuff for about 10 years, pissed away enough money to buy a nice house. But, it was fun, I learned what driving was all about, and I don't regret a minute of it. And I was serious in wishing good luck to those similarly inclined to such foolishness.
I started in the other way around..I buy a few houses n apartments n commercial property first.. then I have this hobby..this hobby only .. and the realstate hobby...be happy my friend..

Ok been watching guys from Africa and they claim their. 22 impact is easily shooting over 80 ft lb. They also said the .25 can shoot over 95 ft lb. How the heck are they doing this? I have a mk2 with PP and bought huma high power reg, and huma dual port, and fx slug power kit pin probe. I set reg to 150 bar. Shooting 33.5gr (.25 cal) nsa slug. My hammer wheel is set to max. Valve adjustment is fully open. I'm pushing the 33.5gr nsa max up to 980 fps. I calculate that in PA calculator and it only give me about 71 ft lb. So how the heck am my .25 cal max out to only 71 ft lb, and they claim their .22 is easily over 80 ft lb. Isnt .25 suppose to be more powerful than a .22 cal? I'm not even close to that 95 ft lb they claim the .25 can do. What am I doing wrong here????
I tell you what if anyone can get your airgun to that it will the guys at FT airguns in Texas

You are not wrong. The only thing I can figure is that they are on the top of a mountain...but I can say this without a doubt if anyone can get the real maximum from your impact it's the guys a Ftairguns in Texas call them

I believe they are shooting .22 34gr slugs at about 1050fps.

As for .25 cal? Not sure because they can't have that Caliber in SA. Might be just a calculation?
Hi toku58,
Just a slight correction, they can have a .25 cal in South Africa. They can have any caliber they want up to 50BMG and bigger… But all powder burners and any air rifle over .22 needs a firearms licence. Air rifles of .22 or smaller do not require a firearms licence in SA, which makes them A LOT easier to work with, which is why they focus more on the .22’s.

Reactions: Dairyboy