• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.
Hello again fellow shooters. 
So for what i am shooting at home, Back yard, Birds, Crows, Squirrels, random coons and opossums. Lawn is about 40 yards side to side with chain link fence beween but i have permission to shoot over into my neighbors so thaty turns into about 80 yards my furthest shooting location max.

Would you choose a .22 or a .25?

Was looking a the marauder in the 22 with LW barrel and had not made up mind on the regulator or not.

Then started looking at the Hatsan NeutronStar in a .22 but they are not in stock so i looked into the .25 now in maybe either or.

Thanks

For all those listed I would go with a .25 as long as you can push them to a decent speed. I've had both but only use my airgun for birds. I get more follow up shots with a .22 because the .25 pellet hitting a bird makes a loud "thwap" and scares the others off. Possums and coons can probably be taken with a .22 with good shot placement but a .25 will be better IMHO. 

If your gun/technique is top notch, 22 will do great. But you might want to get a 25 as it gives you more room for equipment/user error as far as precision goes. If you get a 22 make sure it can be cranked up pretty high power-wise for the coons and possums. I'd only be taking side skull shots on those two. (between ear/eye) Or eye from front. Vital shot would work, too. I just prefer the kill switch.

I have 4 pcp rifles that are all 22s. I got rid of my 25 Impact. And my .177 rifle I converted to .22 if that tells you anything. I just like 22 for what I use it for. I do have a .25 pistol, but it's only 28fpe. Only use it for squirrel or targets.

If you have a compressor or dive shop to supply your air, go with .25. 

If you hand pump, go with .22. I’ve greased tons of raccoons and possums at 50 yards with .22 cal between 25 - 35fpe. Brain shots only. They drop like hit by a bolt of lightning. Timing the shot is the key. A raccoon responds to a lip squeak just like a rabbit.

Well I was thinking not of the pumping necessary for the hunt but all the pumping that leads up to being ready to squeeze the trigger on a living thing. Please factor in the pumping for finding the most accurate pellet, to refine your holdover points, and to practice enough that you have supreme confidence when you pull the trigger. That will vary quite a lot from person to person but generally the prep way outstrips the hunt.

Here’s a thread dealing with raccoons and small caliber air rifles. 
https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/raccoon-diapatch-problems/#post-400212

For example, Ed shows some taken with a 14fpe .177 and I posted a scope cam clip of one taken with a 20fpe .22. 

Looking at marauder or if I can squeeze the funds a hatsan neutronstar

Sign up for their refurb list on hatsanusa if thats what you want. (sell for $599) Those guns shoot hot. I'm working on mine and it's going to be detuned for sure. Working on a restrictor that will limit it to 15 FPE, and I'll dial it in for 36fpe or so otherwise.

Well I was thinking not of the pumping necessary for the hunt but all the pumping that leads up to being ready to squeeze the trigger on a living thing. Please factor in the pumping for finding the most accurate pellet, to refine your holdover points, and to practice enough that you have supreme confidence when you pull the trigger. That will vary quite a lot from person to person but generally the prep way outstrips the hunt.

Here’s a thread dealing with raccoons and small caliber air rifles. 
https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/raccoon-diapatch-problems/#post-400212

For example, Ed shows some taken with a 14fpe .177 and I posted a scope cam clip of one taken with a 20fpe .22.

I am a very long time abode hunter as well as long range shooter. Air rifles or well the pcp is new to me so thank you for the input I will def our in the research and training for sure. Need that trigger time. 

Looking at marauder or if I can squeeze the funds a hatsan neutronstar

Sign up for their refurb list on hatsanusa if thats what you want. (sell for $599) Those guns shoot hot. I'm working on mine and it's going to be detuned for sure. Working on a restrictor that will limit it to 15 FPE, and I'll dial it in for 36fpe or so otherwise.

Yeah I am buying from pyramid air. That’s where the rifle I have now is having to be returned to. Well the second one that it lol. 

Awesome, I love your attitude
1f44d.svg

No worries. I always love to learn.