• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.22 or .25 for hogs?

I would test penetration of 3/4 plywood or MDF. My 25 Avenger will shoot 25.4 grain through either. 33.95s go through too. You could try the 22s too, you may find one that will go through. H&N and Crosman pellets are supposed to be a little harder but my Avenger likes JSB pellets and will shoot them through. I would definitely use a domed pellet. If it expands it will not penetrate as well. JSB monster 22 pellets are 25.4 grains. I would try them or a H&N Barracuda.

Whichever gun is most accurate is what I would use. I would want that .22 shooting 25.39 JSB Monsters at 950 fps at least, and I'd want the .25 doing a little more honestly. Remember, the .22 shooting a 25 grain pellet at 950 fps will actually penetrate better than a .25 shooting a 25 grain pellet at the same speed. The smaller diameter with the same weight has the advantage for poking a hole in a noggin! It will also depend on the size of the hog. I wouldn't try a monster pig at those power levels, but 100 pounder would be a sure thing, as long as you can make the shot. Accuracy is paramount when going after a pig with a small bore. I prefer to wait for a broad side head shot dead center between the eye and the ear. That is the shortest path to the fuse box ;)

I agree 99.9%

It's not an ethics thing with me, but from many years of hunting experience using just about everything (slingshot, airgun, bow, shotgun, and rifle) I have a fair idea about what it takes to dispatch an animal. With a PERFECT shot, yes, you might drop a pig with an airgun (in these calibers), but your chances are slim. 

What has happened is that many airgunner's first foray into "firearms" is an airgun, so that they have no way to actually quantify the lethality of them. Or, they just simply vastly overestimate the capabilities. 

As stated above, I don't care if you shoot pigs with a pellet gun. Just be aware of the massive limitations when using airguns in these small calibers. If you think that a .22 pellet gun is even in the same universe as the lowly .22 rimfire, you are in for a rude surprise. 

I agree 99.9%

It's not an ethics thing with me, but from many years of hunting experience using just about everything (slingshot, airgun, bow, shotgun, and rifle) I have a fair idea about what it takes to dispatch an animal. With a PERFECT shot, yes, you might drop a pig with an airgun (in these calibers), but your chances are slim. 

What has happened is that many airgunner's first foray into "firearms" is an airgun, so that they have no way to actually quantify the lethality of them. Or, they just simply vastly overestimate the capabilities. 

As stated above, I don't care if you shoot pigs with a pellet gun. Just be aware of the massive limitations when using airguns in these small calibers. If you think that a .22 pellet gun is even in the same universe as the lowly .22 rimfire, you are in for a rude surprise.

I certainly agree with the sentiment of what you're saying. Hunting hogs with a small bore air gun should not be taken lightly. I'm also annoyed by the videos of the guys shooting pigs with a break barrel. It actually is a bit of an ethics thing for me. I love to hunt, but I get no joy in wounding an animal, especially when somebody should have known better. If you can't make an ethical kill, you don't need to be hunting. Generally speaking, I don't disagree for your average person that just thinks they can go pop a hog with their air gun like they saw on youtube. It takes effort to do it right. If you just hurt a hog, and the hog gets you, then you probably got what you deserve, lol!

However, hunting pigs with a small bore is by no means a low percentage chance of success. If you put in the time on targets to KNOW you can make the shot, and take the time to research what needs to happen to be successful, the odds are pretty good you'll get yourself a pig. I wouldn't by any stretch call your chances slim, as long as you have a small bore with some proper power(50+fpe in .22, 55+ fpe in .25 and close range), and know your and your guns limits. Don't try and kill a monster hog with 50 fpe, that's too sketchy even for me. I've killed 5 hogs(with an air gun), and only one of those hogs was with a .30. The rest were with .22, and even a .177. I've never shot at a pig with an air gun that didn't drop in his tracks. Admittedly, I'm very anal about prep, practice, and tuning. I don't take a shot, unless I have the shot I want. My largest hog was with a .177 shooting 18 grain slugs at 1060 fps(a little over 200lbs). Yes, I know a 45 fpe .177 isn't normal, but I would take no less power than that in a .177 for a pig. I also never put myself in a position where I'm taking a long shot. Normally I try to keep it at 30 yards, unless I have my gun tuned very hot and know it still has the energy needed when it gets to the target.

The minimum power levels I listed above are just that, minimum. Ideally, I'd want at least 60 fpe in .22 and 70 fpe in .25. As per the OP using a Hatsan invader, I would probably want that gun tuned for more power than it is likely doing. It can work with the right shot and prep though. I currently have my .22 tuned to shoot 36 grain slugs at 82 fpe. I intend to use that .22 on my next hunt too. Again, this is all dependent on me getting the shot I want, and that I know I can make. I guess a good way of putting it is: you need to be able to hit a nickel sized target when hunting with a small bore, and also know that it is at an angle that won't just glance off the skull. PRACTICE, PREP, TUNING, and KNOWLEDGE are definitely required when trying to kill a pig with a small bore air gun. And for God's sake, don't try and shoot it between the eyes! If it is at an angle that would make it too the brain, the shot will probably glance off. If the head is down, you'd be shooting a little below the brain! Know your anatomy ;) More than once, I've seen multiple hogs, and didn't take a shot, because I couldn't get the shot I knew would work.

It boils down to this. If you are going to put in the effort, then give it a go. If aren't, then don't bother and wait until you can get a big bore. That's just my humble opinion :)

I agree 99.9%

I certainly agree with the sentiment of what you're saying. Hunting hogs with a small bore air gun should not be taken lightly. I'm also annoyed by the videos of the guys shooting pigs with a break barrel. It actually is a bit of an ethics thing for me. I love to hunt, but I get no joy in wounding an animal, especially when somebody should have known better. If you can't make an ethical kill, you don't need to be hunting. Generally speaking, I don't disagree for your average person that just thinks they can go pop a hog with their air gun like they saw on youtube. It takes effort to do it right. If you just hurt a hog, and the hog gets you, then you probably got what you deserve, lol!

However, hunting pigs with a small bore is by no means a low percentage chance of success. If you put in the time on targets to KNOW you can make the shot, and take the time to research what needs to happen to be successful, the odds are pretty good you'll get yourself a pig. I wouldn't by any stretch call your chances slim, as long as you have a small bore with some proper power(50+fpe in .22, 55+ fpe in .25 and close range), and know your and your guns limits. Don't try and kill a monster hog with 50 fpe, that's too sketchy even for me. I've killed 5 hogs(with an air gun), and only one of those hogs was with a .30. The rest were with .22, and even a .177. I've never shot at a pig with an air gun that didn't drop in his tracks. Admittedly, I'm very anal about prep, practice, and tuning. I don't take a shot, unless I have the shot I want. My largest hog was with a .177 shooting 18 grain slugs at 1060 fps(a little over 200lbs). Yes, I know a 45 fpe .177 isn't normal, but I would take no less power than that in a .177 for a pig. I also never put myself in a position where I'm taking a long shot. Normally I try to keep it at 30 yards, unless I have my gun tuned very hot and know it still has the energy needed when it gets to the target.

The minimum power levels I listed above are just that, minimum. Ideally, I'd want at least 60 fpe in .22 and 70 fpe in .25. As per the OP using a Hatsan invader, I would probably want that gun tuned for more power than it is likely doing. It can work with the right shot and prep though. I currently have my .22 tuned to shoot 36 grain slugs at 82 fpe. I intend to use that .22 on my next hunt too. Again, this is all dependent on me getting the shot I want, and that I know I can make. I guess a good way of putting it is: you need to be able to hit a nickel sized target when hunting with a small bore, and also know that it is at an angle that won't just glance off the skull. PRACTICE, PREP, TUNING, and KNOWLEDGE are definitely required when trying to kill a pig with a small bore air gun. And for God's sake, don't try and shoot it between the eyes! If it is at an angle that would make it too the brain, the shot will probably glance off. If the head is down, you'd be shooting a little below the brain! Know your anatomy ;) More than once, I've seen multiple hogs, and didn't take a shot, because I couldn't get the shot I knew would work.

It boils down to this. If you are going to put in the effort, then give it a go. If aren't, then don't bother and wait until you can get a big bore. That's just my humble opinion :)

Good post. You obviously have the experience, knowledge and the opportunity to do the deed. That is a huge exception and definitely not the norm. That is why that I stated that my agreement was 99.9%

Let's just say don't air gun boar hunt with dogs, and you'll probably be just fine. They won't usually charge you, unless they are hurt or cornered(or being chased). Last time I went, I was surrounded on all sides by them, but couldn't get the shot I wanted. They were closer than 10 yards from me, and I could only see in front of me. It was dark, and my red light has a very tight beam. I could hear them right on top of me, but I couldn't see to shoot. I had my air gun in one hand with my XDM .40 in the other hand. That was getting too sketchy, even for me, so I decided to throw in the towel. I let out a loud whistle, and they scattered away from me in all directions. I promptly gathered my stuff together and noisily made my way out :D I do always have my .40 with me, just in case. That was the first time I thought I may have to use it. I always hunt from a stand or a chair, so they will haul tail whenever I get made... usually. But yeah, you do need to be smart about it, and don't do dumb things that will get you hurt. That includes making bad shots that you shouldn't have taken.