.22 or .25 for crow hunting?

Saw a television program once on PBS a couple years back, all about crows.
They are the smartest animal in the kingdom, period.
Was a very interesting watch and I couldn’t look away from the television for a minute. Crows are so intelligent that they have the ability to use tools that nature provides, as well as pass on threats to their livelihood, to their next generations/babies/ chicks/offspring.
Incredibly smart!!

This is the show!! Well worth the watch

There was a scientific study done up in Boston a few years ago where the wildlife department put some smaller road kill carcasses on a busy highway. They observed a flock of crows would descend to feed but a lone sentry would stay up in a tree and warn them whenever a car was coming and they would safely fly away without getting hit. However, when a semi-trailer truck came the sentry crow would not warn the others and they would get run over and killed. The local Boston TV station figured out the sentry crow only new how to warn the other crows of the smaller vehicles and not the larger trucks because they could only yell ‘caw, caw, caw,”. And not “truck!” 😉

There was a scientific study done up in Boston a few years ago where the wildlife department put some smaller road kill carcasses on a busy highway. They observed a flock of crows would descend to feed but a lone sentry would stay up in a tree and warn them whenever a car was coming and they would safely fly away without getting hit. However, when a semi-trailer truck came the sentry crow would not warn the others and they would get run over and killed. The local Boston TV station figured out the sentry crow only new how to warn the other crows of the smaller vehicles and not the larger trucks because they could only yell ‘caw, caw, caw,”. And not “truck!” 😉
That was so bad it was good. :giggle:

Doesn't matter .22 or .25 enough fpe for crows. Back in the 90's I would drop crows at 45yrds with my RWS mod34 in .177 using marksman n rws pellets. All about shot placement. Also bagged plenty of bunnies, starlings n pigeons with that rifle. It collects dust now with my other 34 in .22. I've graduated to a .22 hatsan flash and bullboss n flashpup both in .25.

Reactions: moodyblues
.177 8.64 G @ 700 fps Study Anatomy of the animal and place your shot .

Agreed

I will post my heads shot kills but don't post body shot kills due to the head-shot-nazis getting all wigged-out.

My body shots are DRT but you have to know your Anatomy as was already stated.

I don’t shoot crows for a couple reasons…but mostly I just don’t see the need.
Here is my take on crows.

They mate for life and can live for 80 years.

But the real reason comes from experience.

Once I saw a crow literally chase my buddy down a trail for 2 miles, because he shot its partner.
(That shows devotion and intelligence to me.)

Another time at a cliff side restaurant a big male landed on the railing and sneezed out a huge drippy nasty beak full of snot.
It obviously had a head cold.
He looked directly at me square in the eye, as if to say "Human I really feel like s**t today.".

With that his mate squawked at him like a woman will do to her husband when she’s torqued off for no real reason.
Again he looked at me as if to say”that Frippen woman won’t leave me alone!". And they flew off.
That’s why I don’t shoot crows any more.
80 years? NO. Crows live average 8 to 14 years. Twenty years max in captivity.

sstanton,
Ended up in a tricky spot, crow infestation with need for immediate results, no fly-offs to die elsewhere. Tried three calibers, only .30 stopped fly-offs. Crows gone, neighbors credit bird flu epidemic, just nod my head knowing much more JSB, than RSV. WMView attachment 315005
Avian Flu - with a side of lead poisoning. Nice

Smitty

Reactions: WorriedMan