• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.22 or .25 for crow hunting?

It depends on shot placement. With the right shot placement a sub 12 fpe .177 @26 yards can drop them zero movement. Whereas a .25 with 50 FPE hitting at the wrong location seemingly a center of mass can have them fly away. I noticed that most birds have their heart and lungs higher up in the body than mammals.
And closer to the spine on a side profile. There is a lot of breast muscle on a bird.

FWIW- I prefer 25 cal. If I owned bigger I'd probably prefer bigger.

Reactions: sstaton
I have only .22 caliber guns , so that's what I use . Several at 50 yrds w/ 18.13 JSBs , glide off to the ground. The same shot, the same tree w/ Hades 15.89s give a fold & tumble to the ground. I hope to acquire a .25 some day but ... My longest shot on crow was 60yrds to it's side through the wing as it set on the ground in wheat stubble . It shuddered & bobbed it's head , then just layed down. It was XX when I got to it. So what has worked for me may not work for you. Kinda like the old PB campfire argument about the best deer rifle !!

Ended up in a tricky spot, crow infestation with need for immediate results,
no fly-offs to die elsewhere. Crows gone, neighbors credit bird flu epidemic, just nod my head knowing much more..... View attachment 315005

Very nicely executed urban hunting!! 👏🏼

The advantage of an airgun over PB....
Silent for the neigbors — but deadly for the critters. 😉

Matthias

Well, that's too bad that they are so weary in your neck of the woods.... 😞

Last week I took an evening stroll through my parents city and was met by a noisy flock of about a hundred of them, sitting on the ground 10y away from me and on the trees all around.
I walked by one sitting in the street not 3 yards away! 😲

Those were some big bold black birds!! 😄

Matthias

sstanton,
Ended up in a tricky spot, crow infestation with need for immediate results, no fly-offs to die elsewhere. Tried three calibers, only .30 stopped fly-offs. Crows gone, neighbors credit bird flu epidemic, just nod my head knowing much more JSB, than RSV. WMView attachment 315005
@ WM- what’s the tune on that 30 WC? Just curious on your velocity. I love that platform for sure