• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.22 or .17 for warehouse shooting Sparrows and Pigeons?

Hello Fellow AGrs,

Just started a weekly contract shooting sparrows in a large dry food warehouse with active forklift drivers. Sparrows way up in the rafters. Im shooting a FX streamline .22 , hades 15g at about 780fps. Distances are 20-40 yards. Also have a man on safety watch to make sure all is safe before each shot. I still feel there is way too much energy. Passes straight through and hits whatever behind.

I see YouTube UK videos of pesting with .177 sub 12ftlb. All of a sudden a .177 looks like the gun for the job. How much slower can i go with the .22 and still have accuracy and not too loopy out to 40yrds? 

Your thoughts and experiences greatly appreciated.

Take care,

For out to 30 yards, I agree a .177 wadcutter is pure poison on sparrows. And the flat nose will substantially minimize the degree of collateral damage from pass-throughs and misses. Getting sufficient accuracy out to 40 yards however is not likely. Personally I would just try to keep the shots inside of the effective range.

If you are going to stick with the .22 cal, you can slow it down a lot and still have sufficient penetration. I recall taking out two at once with a domed pellet at ~500fps. Like you said though, precise ranging and holdover will be ever more important for the 30 - 40 yard bracket...in which case you may be no better off than a .177 wadcutter.

thanks for all your input!

Ceiling height is about 40ft. Very similar to a US Home Depot but about 2x the length. I'm using strelock with great success. That said with the current 780fps and 30yr zero I'm getting getting kill shots high and low at 20-30 yards without any hold under or over. . I agree , i can easily stay within 30 yards. 

Sounds like I need a .177...

Hello Fellow AGrs,

Just started a weekly contract shooting sparrows in a large dry food warehouse with active forklift drivers. Sparrows way up in the rafters. Im shooting a FX streamline .22 , hades 15g at about 780fps. Distances are 20-40 yards. Also have a man on safety watch to make sure all is safe before each shot. I still feel there is way too much energy. Passes straight through and hits whatever behind. Even ricochets. 

I see YouTube UK videos of pesting with .177 sub 12ftlb. All of a sudden a .177 looks like the gun for the job. How much slower can i go with the .22 and still have accuracy and not too loopy out to 40yrds? 

Take care,

Is your shooting inside or outside the warehouse or both? 

I have had a similar job removing Bats and Pigeons and other birds from commercial buildings including a bowling alley, sometimes while people bowled lol. With many airguns to choose from, the best ones for the job have been the tried and true Daisy 880 and a B1 in .177 everything else is I owned was to powerful indoors and around people, but this was before I owned any PCP's. Out of what I own now I would of chosen the Diana Bandit in .177 for indoor work and a .22 pcp for outdoor.

I think that magic number is about 450-550 FPS at the muzzle for a .177 or .22 in a indoor warehouse/commercial building bird hunting.

My preferred gun was the 880 with 10gr crosman heavy's and 6 pumps at 500fps sighted in at 25yds 

Your gun might be ok at 500-550fps, but it might be pellet dependent at that velocity so I would try several but I am guessing a classic diabolo shape is your best bet for stability. 

I use my .177 cal match rifle (RWS75to1) for my indoor pest control. At 6 ft lbs can easily take out sparrows and pigeons at 30 yds. From 10 to 30 yds only need half a sparrow head hold over/ under... No danger in penetrating the building, siding or causing harm to livestock. Accurate enough for the many small mice getting into the feed and containers. When I see how much damage can be done with 6 fpe I might be concerned with 12 fpe or more for indoor pesting. My 4x40 scope is plenty bright for the low light shooting, an added red led gives me all the light I need during dark evenings...

Hello Fellow AGrs,

Just started a weekly contract shooting sparrows in a large dry food warehouse with active forklift drivers. Sparrows way up in the rafters. Im shooting a FX streamline .22 , hades 15g at about 780fps. Distances are 20-40 yards. Also have a man on safety watch to make sure all is safe before each shot. I still feel there is way too much energy. Passes straight through and hits whatever behind. Even ricochets. 

Take care,

K

When you have people present downrange when you are shooting, you are asking for trouble. JMHO

Hello everyone,

Ive been shooting pigeons in large grain terminals and shipbuilding yards and sheds for years with a .22 pcp. On windy days i often use a .25 when outside, 80 yard long and 60 yard up shots, high up in grain conveyors.

Once in a blue moon I get a true inside warehouse job. I don't own a .177. For the time being trying to use what i have. 

What about lighter .22 wad cutters? And slow it down.

SB Match Diabolo JSB Jumbo Match Wadcutter .22 Cal, 13.73gr - 300ct?

SB Match Diabolo JSB Match Diabolo Exact Jumbo RS .22 Cal, 13.43gr?

A .22 wadcutter at 500 - 600fps will hit them like Thor's hammer...if it's accurate. Just have to try them and see. I don't want to discourage you from trying but I've had a very hard time finding a .22 wadcutter that is sufficiently accurate at 30+ yards for small pest control. The Hades you're already using is a semi-wadcutter and is accurate at a distance so I would not be surprised if you find it to strike the best balance between accuracy and thump.