.22 NSA slugs vs. .25 JSB pellets

I like long range shooting, and wherever I read there is a general consensus that for long range shooting .25 caliber is more precise than .22. A partial explanation ls that due to its higher weight, the .25 pellets are less affected by wind drag than .22 ones.

But what I see now is that there are .22 slugs that have the same (or higher weight) han a .25 pellet, and those .22 slugs have much better BC than the .25 pellets. 

https://nielsenspecialtyammo.com/collections/22-caliber/products/28-grain-hollow-point-boat-tail-air-rifle-pellets-217-caliber-air-gun-slug-swaged

Has anyone compared the .25 pellets with the .22 slugs? .22 slugs looks like a potential winner.

I think it is a really interested topic. 

Here's something to think about... Not sure why you're comparing .22 slugs with .25 pellets? There are plenty of lighter .25 cal slugs with super high BC's. D-Rig already makes .25 cal. slugs with a BC of .097 that weigh 33grains. Varmint Knocker makes 25.5gr. and 31.3gr. slugs with super high BC's too. Nielsen same deal, he just makes heavier slugs in .25 cal., his are 34.7gr. 36gr. 39gr. or heavier, also very high BC's though. Depending on which slug you're shooting, you should be able to push them between 880 fps. with the 33gr. to upwards of 1000 fps with the 25.5gr... dependent on your gun and settings of course. If you've already got a .25 Impact, get a .25 caliber slug liner and go to work. They're already shipping, shouldn't have to wait long to get one. My 600mm slug liner is going to be here tomorrow and I'll test all of the slugs I just mentioned. I already have them and plan to start testing in depth tomorrow afternoon! Just something to think about, a $109 slug liner is a whole lot cheaper than a caliber conversion and a slug liner and I think the performance of the .25 with slugs will be terrific! Good luck with your decision!

Stoti

Nice post Kevin!

I'm sure you'll let us know how you get on with the slugs!!!

Just remember, it may take a fair amount of slugs to season the barrel. If you do like I did, you'll do lots of chrono work which should account for a lot of it. 

Matt Dubber's advice is to keep the barrel clean until it reaches it's lead equilibrium. Mine is shooting very well, but I still pull two dry patches through the barrel before each time out.

Thanks brother. What do you think about seasoning it with cheaper pellets? Wanted to try some anyway and see if they shoot well. Or, like you said, I can get the velocities figured out and then get the accuracy tuned in with each slug.

How have the slugs been working out for you in the .22? Have you found one that stands out yet? I'm curious if the lighter slugs shoot best as recommended? I'll let you know what happens with mine for sure.

My liner should have been here last Monday, had a little mishap with shipping and then they were out of stock. Johan sent me one directly and I got a confirmation from UPS showing it will arrive tomorrow. I'm pretty excited to test it out. 

Stoti

This is the question I've been puzzling over for the past year-and-a-half. I own a kalibrgun cricket in 25 caliber. And yes it shoots jsb's accurately out to 100 yards just about any day. My powder burning rifle range is 212 yards long. I can shoot the 25 out to the 212 and accurately hit a 6 inch plate. It barely dings a plate. As of today 2/17/2019 I just received my Huban in 22. But Ammo was delayed due to weather. So once I receive my ammo I will begin to test this very question. I plan on taking both guns to the range on the same day and shooting them side-by-side. To see what will be better in practical application versus Theory. 

I am very much I am very much looking forward to sending a slug from a pellet gun supersonic to see what happens. And if I can get the 6-inch plate to swing.