• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX .22 Maverick reg starting points?

Maverick .22 600mm with stock hammer(7g). I plan to shoot the FX/JSB MRD 25.4 at 910 fps. Does 1st reg at 140 and 2nd at 100 bar, PW7 sound like a good starting point? This would allow me to go up to 115 bar before having to readjust the 1st reg. Trying to get close, not a lot of .22 info out there.

Supposedly mine is set at 160/120 but shoots the 25.4 at 995, the small fx/wika gauge does look to be set at 120-130 bar, hard to tell.

I’m going to change the rear gauge and attempt to start tuning. Does temp effect a tune, I would think the regs would just adjust the pressure? Is the 25-40 bar spread that big of a deal?

Thanks

I personally don’t think the spread is that big of a deal. However if you get them too close to each other it will take the plenum longer to fill and more of a pause will be needed between shots. Temp will effect tune as well. It will probably depend more if your gun has regs with pistons made out of delrin rather than brass. The delrin ones change more with temp. They actually let more air in when it’s cold and your reg will creep up a few bar in colder temps. Not a huge deal. My Maverick is a 25 compact so not sure about 22 600 settings but 100 bar sounds good as a starting point. I doubt you will have to come up a whole bunch.

Reactions: Jlowe
I personally don’t think the spread is that big of a deal. However if you get them too close to each other it will take the plenum longer to fill and more of a pause will be needed between shots. Temp will effect tune as well. It will probably depend more if your gun has regs with pistons made out of delrin rather than brass. The delrin ones change more with temp. They actually let more air in when it’s cold and your reg will creep up a few bar in colder temps. Not a huge deal. My Maverick is a 25 compact so not sure about 22 600 settings but 100 bar sounds good as a starting point. I doubt you will have to come up a whole bunch.
Thats interesting about the plastic vs brass piston, never thought about that. My Mav is only 2 months old but who knows when it was made or what parts are in it.

Maverick .22 600mm with stock hammer(7g). I plan to shoot the FX/JSB MRD 25.4 at 910 fps. Does 1st reg at 140 and 2nd at 100 bar, PW7 sound like a good starting point? This would allow me to go up to 115 bar before having to readjust the 1st reg. Trying to get close, not a lot of .22 info out there.

Supposedly mine is set at 160/120 but shoots the 25.4 at 995, the small fx/wika gauge does look to be set at 120-130 bar, hard to tell.

I’m going to change the rear gauge and attempt to start tuning. Does temp effect a tune, I would think the regs would just adjust the pressure? Is the 25-40 bar spread that big of a deal?

Thanks
I have 2 Mavericks and I don't think its a big deal on the 25fps spread. Breaking it in helps as much as anything. I have one with a brass reg that I install and the other with a delrin. I have another brass one, but just haven't gotten around to installing it. I don't think yours's has the stock 7 gram hammer weight if its shooting 995fps with 25.39's. More likely the 11 gram .25cal hammer weight, especially if its only set at 120 bar. Upgrading the gauge will give you a clearer indicator on where you're at.

I have 2 Mavericks and I don't think its a big deal on the 25fps spread. Breaking it in helps as much as anything. I have one with a brass reg that I install and the other with a delrin. I have another brass one, but just haven't gotten around to installing it. I don't think yours's has the stock 7 gram hammer weight if its shooting 995fps with 25.39's. More likely the 11 gram .25cal hammer weight, especially if its only set at 120 bar. Upgrading the gauge will give you a clearer indicator on where you're at.
Maybe I’ll degass, change the gauge and see what it’s really set at.

Thanks
You only have part of the equation, you need to tune the Hammer Spring Adjuster first, Start firing and cranking out the HSA until the FPS falls off, then screw it in for peak then in a bit more, that is your max. Then you can add more pressure from #2. Fire a shot and back out the reg immediately then check your FPS, You'l have to keep on balancing the HSA as you increase the reg pressure. You may have to back off the HSA, screw it in), you don't want over pressure, it'll mess up the pellets. MAX with a stock hammer is 130 bar. You can have 50bar differential, it'll just refill the plenum faster. Oh get a cheap digital gage off of Amazon, they work fine. Find the speed that the pellets and gun like, it could be 890 you never can tell.

You only have part of the equation, you need to tune the Hammer Spring Adjuster first, Start firing and cranking out the HSA until the FPS falls off, then screw it in for peak then in a bit more, that is your max. Then you can add more pressure from #2. Fire a shot and back out the reg immediately then check your FPS, You'l have to keep on balancing the HSA as you increase the reg pressure. You may have to back off the HSA, screw it in), you don't want over pressure, it'll mess up the pellets. MAX with a stock hammer is 130 bar. You can have 50bar differential, it'll just refill the plenum faster. Oh get a cheap digital gage off of Amazon, they work fine. Find the speed that the pellets and gun like, it could be 890 you never can tell.
I will do the ihs too, so the power wheel really should not be used because it would not be balanced, for lighter pellets on a lower pw setting.

I will do the ihs too, so the power wheel really should not be used because it would not be balanced, for lighter pellets on a lower pw setting.
Bingo, with a small exception, I shoot slugs that take more air, balanced as to not have any excess, BUT when I switch to pellets 22gr slug down to 18.13 pellet I have to turn the wheel down a notch or two. Ditto on my .25, shooting .26 slugs to 33.95 pellets I actually have to go down. I haven't messed with heavier .22 pellets, haven't seen the need. I'll attach my starting point for a .22 compact, you will need a digital caliper, I measure across the HSA to get the over all height, IMHO it give a definitive reference point you can always go back to. Well, I won't be attaching anything, something is amiss with my numbers, I'll have to pop it apart and get the measurement. I'd see where you're is speed wise and start moving 1/4 turns / shot, you'll know when things head south if go from 7 to 5 and the speed increases, that is too much HSA.

Last edited:
I have the new 28mm Wika gauge and the amazon digital now and will install in a few days, not sure which one yet.

It really looks to be set at 120 bar, I used a mirror to look into the breach and the port takes up most of the bottom with a little bar in between, it’s set on the slug port I think.

The question is, do ya’ll think I have a 11g hammer? 120 bar sec reg, slug port, 25.4 MRD at 995 fps on pw#7? I will just tune for the MRD and maybe try the 22gr hybrids also, I realize now I can’t shoot the JSB 18.1 unless I retune for them.

Do you think if I had a 11g hammer and barrel set to slug port, I could tune low enough to shoot the 18.1? I really wanted to shoot the 25.4 MRD anyway and why I went with the power of the Maverick.

I have the new 28mm Wika gauge and the amazon digital now and will install in a few days, not sure which one yet.

It really looks to be set at 120 bar, I used a mirror to look into the breach and the port takes up most of the bottom with a little bar in between, it’s set on the slug port I think.

The question is, do ya’ll think I have a 11g hammer? 120 bar sec reg, slug port, 25.4 MRD at 995 fps on pw#7? I will just tune for the MRD and maybe try the 22gr hybrids also, I realize now I can’t shoot the JSB 18.1 unless I retune for them.

Do you think if I had a 11g hammer and barrel set to slug port, I could tune low enough to shoot the 18.1? I really wanted to shoot the 25.4 MRD anyway and why I went with the power of the Maverick.
I would all but bet you don't have the 7gram, because my Maverick Sniper came with a 7gram and it wouldn't do that until I switched it out with the 11gram. It's pretty easy to take apart if you want to know for sure.

Installed the 28mm Wika, 2nd reg was set at 127 bar. IHS was at 4 7/8 turns out from full in. Shot again on PW 7 and got 975 fps with 25.4 MRD.

I set 1st reg at 140 bar and 2nd at 100 bar. Shot the 25.4 MRD at 908 fps on PW 7 and 1 turn out on IHS(5 7/8) , turned out another 1/2 and fps dropped to 880 fps, not sure why?

Turned in 1/2 and raised the 2nd reg to 110 bar shot on PW 7 at 932 fps. PW 6 930, PW 5 930, turned IHS in 1 turn(back to starting 4 7/8 out) still 930 +- 2.

Shot a 10 pellet string on PW 5, SD 2.5 and ES 9, thought great! Shot another string and got SD 6 and ES 17, not sure if it is the MRD’s or the tune. PW 4 does drop the fps to 920 but the ES goes up I’ll see low 900’s. I assume this is below the knee.

Should I use PW 5 and turn the IHS in a 1/8 at time to see if it stabilizes?

Also notice if I got to 150bar on bottle pressure the fps would drop, I read Steve form AEAC said to keep the bottle between 210-160 bar while tuning, not sure why if 2nd reg is lower anyway.

Last edited:
Good news, it was 60 degrees today, so I got to tune some more.

I ended up at 1st Reg 140, 2nd 110, PW 5 and 5 1/8 turns out on the IHS.

I got 2 back to back 10 shot groups at 930 fps with the 25.4 MRD.
1st string: ES-9, SD-2.7
2nd string: ES-7, SD-1.7.
It shoots the FX Hybrids 22gr at 955 on this tune also.

I was able to shoot down to 130 bar without issue this time. I will verify next time that it still has a stable string and actually start shooting this thing!

Last edited:
Good news, it was 60 degrees today, so I got to tune some more.

I ended up at 1st Reg 140, 2nd 110, PW 5 and 5 1/8 turns out on the IHS. I got 2 back to back 10 shot groups at 930 fps with the 25.4 MRD. 1st string: ES-9, SD-2.7 and 2nd string: ES-7, SD-1.7. It shoots the FX Hybrids 22gr at 950 on this tune also. I was able to shoot down to 130 bar without issue this time. I will verify next time that it still has a stable string and actually start shooting this thing!
Did you bottom out the HSA or just start cranking from where you got it? 1 turn = 1 mm, you NEED to know what the actual measurement is on the HSA to be able to repeat it.

Did you bottom out the HSA or just start cranking from where you got it? 1 turn = 1 mm, you NEED to know what the actual measurement is on the HSA to be able to repeat it.
Yep, I counted turns on the allen key while turning it in until it stopped and turned it back out the same amount, before I started adjusting the IHS. This way I could I always put it back to the “factory” starting point and/or put my tune settings back if it moves over time.

Yep, I counted turns on the allen key while turning it in until it stopped and turned it back out the same amount, before I started adjusting the IHS. This way I could I always put it back to the “factory” starting point and/or put my tune settings back if it moves over time.
I prefer pulling it and measuring, only because you can dimple the reg, especially if it's the old plastic ones. Just my opinion. Factory is 19.3mm on Mavericks, others may be a bit different.