.22 JSB Jumbo Monster Light and Grand

❓ Would you agree with the referenced article above that
for a 28.55 grain pellet
in .22cal —
a BC of 0.039 is "excellent"? 🤔

Matthias

PS:
I really appreciate the BC tests that HardAir Magazine runs! 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

➠ However, in a misguided attempt to shoot every projectile at the same power this makes medium weight projectiles have better BC than those that are either very light or very heavy for the respective caliber:

▪ The very lights one are close the speed of sound and thus suffer a higher drag.
▪ And those that are shot a rather low velocities probably fly a lot slower than what they were designed for.

For example, the Monster Grand was shot at a lowly 792fps (only 40FPE) — and it's smaller brother, the lighter Monster MRD was even slower with 718fps — only 29FPE! 🤦🏻‍♂️

I'm pretty sure that most shooters buying these Monster varieties have monster power guns and shoot them 100-200fps faster.... 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: Dairyboy

❓ Would you agree with the referenced article above that
for a 28.55 grain pellet
in .22cal —
a BC of 0.039 is "excellent"? 🤔

Matthias

Did you see the ridiculously low speed they're being shot?
At that speed, yeah, BC is probably that pitifully low.

On the HAM scale, that's actually a pretty high BC, relative to the other much-too-slow speeds they typically test heavy weight pellets.

The HAM scale is not applicable to the way anybody interested in long range/high performance heavy .22 pellets is going to use them.

Frank, while you were posting your reply to my post, I was editing mine and added basically what you are saying here — and it seems we both have seen the same flaw in the test protocol! 😊

Cheers,

Matthias

Reactions: Dairyboy
I'm super anxious to try the lights. The ONLY accurate pellet in my .22LW poly barrel are the Deeps, and only when shot at 50fpe. I originally thought the 18.1g worked at 965fps, but the groups just weren't super consistent at 50yd. I'm hoping the lights work so that I don't have to shoot at such a high power. The RAW just isn't very efficient shooting this hot. I only get about 40 shots shooting from 200bar down to the reg set point of about 155bar.

Reactions: Ranchibi
First time I'm hearing about these 'light' pellets even coming down the pipeline/existing.

Have heard good things about the Grand, the redesigned, and the deep. Have heard poor reviews of the shallow.

Haven't tried any of these personally, but have all (except the shallows) hanging out in my cart at various online retailers, waiting until I have enough stuff in there to get free shipping from somewhere and/or hitch a ride in a order with more immediately necessary items.