.22 Ghost LW Barrel Blank First Test

I had a chance to install the freshly cut barrel and probe into my Ghost.
Since it was last tuned for .30 pellets, I turned the power wheel (hammer) down from 12->7.
I was so excited to see what it would do, I didnt bother breaking out the chrony.
I just loaded up some JSB redesigns and let it rip.
Below is the first pellets shot out at 78Y
20240219_153455.jpg

I haven't tuned it or for that matter even leaded in the barrel yet. These are the first 8 shots at 75Y. Very promising! Already more accurate than the .30 factory barrel!
Those were shot from the .22 magazine I ordered from AoA also (not single shot loaded).

Heres what it looks like all put together.

20240219_155436.jpg

20240219_155443.jpg

I loaded a pellet with the barrel and probe installed and then removed the barrel to push the pellet back out using a nylon rod. Both the head and skirt were loaded into the rifling! Previous problem fixed. The factory .30 setup didnt load the pellet far enough to engage the rifling before.
I did notice the probe has some witness marks from contacting the rifling. I'll need to cut a small taper on the end to reduce the OD. I'll need to be careful not to take too much off as not to reduce the seating depth.
20240219_155514.jpg

The new .22 magazine was installed and cycled just as you'd expect. No problems.
20240219_155530.jpg

Over the next week, I'll work it in and tune it to see what kind of accuracy I can eek of of it, but Im happy so far.
I'll post follow up groups this weekend.
Thanks for lookin!

20240219_153345.jpg

Thats awesome man. Great work and glad things worked out the way you wanted them to. Really sucks when you do a project and don't get the results you are wanting.
Thanks a lot. I completely agree. I was holding my breath on those shots hoping they'd group.
Really excited now that I know I can rebarrel a rifle if it doesn't meet the bar right out-of the box. On the FX guns $100 for a new liner isn't a big deal but for a Daystate or Brk etc where a new barrel is $600 (if it's even available at all), it's a terrible feeling if it's accuracy can't be brought to par by the usual tactics (tuning, pellet trials, etc).
Also glad LW has these quality barrels available.

Yes well done! Looks promising! I forget did you mention if it a poly barrel or rifled and do you intend to try slugs?
It's a rifled, 1:17, choked barrel. I don't plan to shoot slugs on this one.
I considered the poly barrel but figured I'd start with what I'm familiar with first. I do plan on getting a polygonal barrel now to see which one is more accurate.

Reactions: Solo1
Agreed. Rebarreld my Rapid to accept fx liners. Works great, but those first few shots are ALWAYS nerve wracking!

I am waiting to get a slug barrel for my Paradigm as well. Though I have been looking at possibly modifying the pellet barrel to like slugs better. BUT I don't want to bugger up a good barrel on a "what if"
I completely agree. I've had very few great barrels. I've had many "just ok" and unfortunately more than a couple bad ones.

If you have a good one, I wouldn't mess with it.

Reactions: woogie_man
Super awesome, I have a .30 cal. ghost , I wanna try to put a new barrel on it, the .22 caliber barrel, but those barrel kits cost a lot ,!View attachment 437253
I really wanted to love that .30 ghost setup. I just couldn't get tight groups past 50y. 50 and under were one hole. It honestly surprised me because that factory barrel was flawless.
20240210_145145.jpg

Reactions: Sean_Eason
It's a rifled, 1:17, choked barrel. I don't plan to shoot slugs on this one.
I considered the poly barrel but figured I'd start with what I'm familiar with first. I do plan on getting a polygonal barrel now to see which one is more accurate.
My brk poly 22 is supposedly 1 in 30 twist and shoots consistently 1 1/2” vroups with mrds and frequent 1” groups. Im still blaming pellets for the bigger groups. Waiting on the new ones

I completely agree. I've had very few great barrels. I've had many "just ok" and unfortunately more than a couple bad ones.

If you have a good one, I wouldn't mess with it.
That is what I am thinking. I can wait until the designer of the rifle comes out with a dedicated slug barrel.

I really wanted to love that .30 ghost setup. I just couldn't get tight groups past 50y. 50 and under were one hole. It honestly surprised me because that factory barrel was flawless. View attachment 437261
If you keep building barrels and understand everything that goes into making one tick, I’ll bet you figure out why that factory barrel didn’t shoot. Who knows, you might revisit it. Don’t use it as a pry bar just yet.

If you keep building barrels and understand everything that goes into making one tick, I’ll bet you figure out why that factory barrel didn’t shoot. Who knows, you might revisit it. Don’t use it as a pry bar just yet.
You're right. I think the issue with that .30 was insufficient seating depth with the factory probe. I just want motivated to screw with it anymore. The .30 uses a lot of air.

Reactions: Solo1