.22 FX Hybrids...how do they work for tough and furry critters?

After some experimenting with my customized Taipan Veteran Long .22 and finding what she likes to eat...I've settled on the FX Hybrid slugs at about 985 fps. This is just under 50 fpe but more importantly these thing are really accurate out of my setup. The Hybrid's are absolute carnage on every bird I've hit with them so far...I'm talking bird parts flying everywhere. It sounds like a .22 rimfire when I center punch unfortunate fat fowl.

Since I've got these dialed in so well I'd like to stay with them if possible but I'm concerned about larger tougher critters...do these Hybrid's stay together well enough to penetrate a groundhog skull at 75 meters? Has anyone tried the .22 Hybrids on tougher critters than just birds?

I put some .22 FX Hybrid's at 985 fps downrange to 80 meters to test there penetration. I was pleasantly surprised. All 7 fully penetrated a 3/4" oak board except one which was protruding through the far side. I'd say it's good for up to a coyote skull at 100+ meters. Good expansion and weight retention I would say!

By trying to prove to myself that they won't do well in penetration/mass retention I actually proved the opposite.
IMG_0807.jpeg
IMG_0808.jpeg
IMG_0809.jpeg
IMG_0810.jpeg
IMG_0806.jpeg

Reactions: Chuck-in-Ohio
After some experimenting with my customized Taipan Veteran Long .22 and finding what she likes to eat...I've settled on the FX Hybrid slugs at about 985 fps. This is just under 50 fpe but more importantly these thing are really accurate out of my setup. The Hybrid's are absolute carnage on every bird I've hit with them so far...I'm talking bird parts flying everywhere. It sounds like a .22 rimfire when I center punch unfortunate fat fowl.

Since I've got these dialed in so well I'd like to stay with them if possible but I'm concerned about larger tougher critters...do these Hybrid's stay together well enough to penetrate a groundhog skull at 75 meters? Has anyone tried the .22 Hybrids on tougher critters than just birds?
How about if I save you a ton of money? Ready for this, go straight to the manufacturer of the FX Slugs. Rocky Mountain Reloading RMRBullets, .08333¢ each. $60 for 500. For you FX shooters, FX designed the Superior soda straw errrr....liner for these.

Reactions: Bigragu
How about if I save you a ton of money? Ready for this, go straight to the manufacturer of the FX Slugs. Rocky Mountain Reloading RMRBullets, .08333¢ each. $60 for 500. For you FX shooters, FX designed the Superior soda straw errrr....liner for these.
Already have ordered from them and it saves a little bit. Last I checked though, it’s $0.12/slug not $0.08/slug.

Already have ordered from them and it saves a little bit. Last I checked though, it’s $0.12/slug not $0.08/slug
You are correct, there must have been something floating in the memory of my calculator, guess I didn't clear it. Explains why I can't hit a squirrel at 100 yards. They come in a nice big bag, well packaged, unless UPS drops it from the sky, unscathed, no swearing at trying to open the nice packing FX provided.

You can buy the Impulse Air HBT’s. Same slug for .10 per slug.
I have shot these out of my M3 60mm. I was very happy with what I saw. I didn’t change the tune from the 23 gr Zans I am set up for. I am thinking I could have tuned a little more accuracy out of them than they displayed which was pretty good.
The 25 cal version shot well out of my Crown MKII 600mm as well.