.22 for hunting

I would say if beavers are the subject just be safe and go with 22LR. Most ammo is cheaper than airgun slugs, will do more damage, and you don't need a compressor for your 22LR. Ballistics aside, I have realized pass through and energy and all these things do not play out in the real world like they do on paper or any kind of ballistics testing you see on youtube. You can kill a lot of things with stuff you wouldn't imagine but in reality, 22lr is just better suited for beavers IMO versus 22 caliber air rifles. Beavers go in the water and the last thing you want is a half-dead beaver (even if it's an ethical shot) sliding away into the water or worse his den.

Reactions: Nowthis
I would say if beavers are the subject just be safe and go with 22LR. Most ammo is cheaper than airgun slugs, will do more damage, and you don't need a compressor for your 22LR. Ballistics aside, I have realized pass through and energy and all these things do not play out in the real world like they do on paper or any kind of ballistics testing you see on youtube. You can kill a lot of things with stuff you wouldn't imagine but in reality, 22lr is just better suited for beavers IMO versus 22 caliber air rifles. Beavers go in the water and the last thing you want is a half-dead beaver (even if it's an ethical shot) sliding away into the water or worse his den.
Slugs .. If you hunt .. . You would never use them..Its like hammering a nail in with a lead hammer..

It is NOT the same as a .22 rimfire. But, yes an Airgun can be as effective at shorter ranges on many small game species. If beaver is the criteria? Then upping the caliber to .25 or .30 if using an Airgun, would be prudent.
.30 Cal is VERY effective in taking down middle size animals !!! But shot placement is still a needed aspect!

Reactions: L.Leon
Fellas get your minds back on PCPs… the OP was asking if a .22 PCP could be as effective as a .22 rimfire. He wasn’t asking where he could go to catch herpes or some other STDS… at least I didn’t think he was. How about real world, anecdotal information on the question instead?
too funny, it's all good

Reactions: L.Leon
The .22 lr is putting out 100-180 fpe. If you can shoot 40 grain slugs at 1080 fps you will be over 100 fp energy. But , most airguns don't come close to that kind of power. For me 12-50 fpe covers my needs. And knowing what the Europeans can do with 12 fpe really puts into perspective how important accuracy and shot placement is and how much is really needed for pesting and hunting small game up to rabbit size game. Raccoons or Beavers I would want at least 30 fpe and only settle for head shots inside 30y . I have taken raccoons with less power but I now have more powerful airguns so I use them . We have a few raccoons around our house but I won't put them down until they become a problem, same with all critters. It's more like a safe haven on our property.

ugggg - I have a shotgun safe and a rifle safe - so now it looks like I will need an air gun safe. I have got to get myself under control.
i have a big gun safe and a small gun safe but now only a Anschutz target .22 PB and a PB pistol the rest if FULL of air rifles , no more room .

Not to get off topic, but I've never put my airguns in a safe. Some of my long guns and a few of my pistols are. Are you guys putting them in a safe because of theft?

Normally, if I'm home, I'm armed with 2 pistols. I have another accessible and a few long guns are basically within reach. When I'm not home, my guns are in a safe except the airguns.

Are you saying slugs for hunting beavers is a bad idea or slugs for hunting is a bad idea?
Slugs are great for hunting! I almost hunt exclusively with slugs with my FX Maverick .30cal, and I put groundhogs dead in the dirt, even with bodyshots.
20220511_191044 (1).jpg

You just have remember shot placement is key. As other's have mentioned, with airguns, the power is determined by the airgun more than the caliber. There are airguns that shoot 25fpe in .25cal and other airguns that shoot 175fpe in the same caliber!

Again, as other have mentioned, I recommend a .30cal for beavers and make your shots headshots. The Umarex Gaultlet 2 in .30cal would be an economical choice for an airgun, and the JSB Knockout slugs would be a fine choice for ammo.