.22 for hunting

I have no doubt a .22 air rifle will kill a squirrel or rabbit, and I know a .22 rimfire will kill a bever - so a .22 air rifle and ammunition, is that pretty much the same? Is a .22 in air as effective as rimfire? Is it the gun or the ammo or a combination that would make it effective? So many questions.
Ok lets break this one down ;

Even a powerful .22 Airrifle will not come close to a .22lr,....My Marlin 60 with Gemtech subsonics is 70 FPE, with CCI Standatd Velocity is 100 FPE, with CCI Mini-Mags is 140 FPE and with CCI Stingers is 190 FPE.

Having said that with the precise brain shot I've take down several Big wild boars with .22 Airrifles

Here is an example, this decent size Boar was shot with a Benjamin NP2 .22 and Baracuda pellet

Ok lets break this one down ;

Even a powerful .22 Airrifle will not come close to a .22lr,....My Marlin 60 with Gemtech subsonics is 70 FPE, with CCI Standatd Velocity is 100 FPE, with CCI Mini-Mags is 140 FPE and with CCI Stingers is 190 FPE.

Having said that with the precise brain shot I've take down several Big wild boars with .22 Airrifles

Here is an example, this decent size Boar was shot with a Benjamin NP2 .22 and Baracuda pellet

Thats awesome! thats the kind of performance I'm looking for, can I ask what your pellet weight and speed is?

Thats awesome! thats the kind of performance I'm looking for, can I ask what your pellet weight and speed is?
To be honest with you that is not a combination type gun/power/pellet that I would reccomend for everyday hunting of this type, just showing what is possible to do with the perfectly placed brain shot.

I would concentrate on a PCP first of all that can shoot a heavy pellet like the EunJin in the 900 fps range or even the 21gr Baracuda in the 900-950 fps range

Last edited:
To be honest with you that is not a combination type gun/power/pellet that I would reccomend for everyday hunting of this type, just showing what is possible to do with the perfectly placed brain shot.

I would concentrate on a PCP first of all that can shoot a heavy pellet like the EunJin in the 900 fps range or even the 21gr Baracuda in the 900-950 fps range
Thanks for the reply. For sure not for serious big game, I mainly bowhunt and have a 6.5 Creedmore for rifle hunting. I have chance to take out some nuisance goats but want to keep noise to a minimum so trying to set up my FX for that and maybe some smaller hogs around the house 🙂

Thanks for the reply. For sure not for serious big game, I mainly bowhunt and have a 6.5 Creedmore for rifle hunting. I have chance to take out some nuisance goats but want to keep noise to a minimum so trying to set up my FX for that and maybe some smaller hogs around the house 🙂
You on Da Islands ?

Yeah your PCP will do the job for sure as long as you use the right ammo and take the right shot.

I have no doubt a .22 air rifle will kill a squirrel or rabbit, and I know a .22 rimfire will kill a bever - so a .22 air rifle and ammunition, is that pretty much the same? Is a .22 in air as effective as rimfire? Is it the gun or the ammo or a combination that would make it effective? So many questions.
Shot placement and knowing your airgun setup is the most important factor (and range). I've killed coyotes with a 22 air rifle. I just ensure I know my distance and capability.