.22 for hunting

I have no doubt a .22 air rifle will kill a squirrel or rabbit, and I know a .22 rimfire will kill a bever - so a .22 air rifle and ammunition, is that pretty much the same? Is a .22 in air as effective as rimfire? Is it the gun or the ammo or a combination that would make it effective? So many questions.
Short answer is no! A good .30 cal is pretty equal to a .22 rimfire.

I have no doubt a .22 air rifle will kill a squirrel or rabbit, and I know a .22 rimfire will kill a bever - so a .22 air rifle and ammunition, is that pretty much the same? Is a .22 in air as effective as rimfire? Is it the gun or the ammo or a combination that would make it effective? So many questions.
It is NOT the same as a .22 rimfire. But, yes an Airgun can be as effective at shorter ranges on many small game species. If beaver is the criteria? Then upping the caliber to .25 or .30 if using an Airgun, would be prudent.

ugggg - I have a shotgun safe and a rifle safe - so now it looks like I will need an air gun safe. I have got to get myself under control.
This addiction isn’t much cheaper than good drugs but at least when the money is gone you still have something to show for it! Lol

I know my rifle is half 22lr power but the same as 22l. 50fpe. I am deadly with it for anything up to a coyote out to 100yds and a groundhog or under at 150. It is not the same as a 22rim fire, but i outshoot my buddies custom built ruger 10/22 if it is shooting cheap 22lr ammo, it is a tie with match ammo. We both get the same results when we swap guns.

Last edited:
A 22lr at 100+ fpe is more powerful than most 22 caliber airguns. But my 22 and 25 caliber P35s are both at about 32 fpe and only three of 22 squirrels taken with them has failed to have an exit hole. So what does the other 68+ fpe of a 22 lr do? It isn't going to help kill the squirrel. Maybe a little flatter trajectory. Within 40 yards, my PCPs are pretty flat trajectory but at longer ranges, the 22lr would be and advantage. For small game I would argue there isn't much difference. For bigger game where more penetration is needed then the 22lr (or a more powerful PCP) will have an advantage. The most practical way to increase fpe in an airgun is to go up in caliber. But at the same fpe, the smaller caliber will have more penetration. Bigger holes tend to kill more quickly too. It all depends on what you want to do.

You gotta find the hookers that have a cash back option.
1674957540973.gif

Reactions: 850renxrs
Fellas get your minds back on PCPs… the OP was asking if a .22 PCP could be as effective as a .22 rimfire. He wasn’t asking where he could go to catch herpes or some other STDS… at least I didn’t think he was. How about real world, anecdotal information on the question instead?

I’ve killed a number of squirrels and raccoons with my Benjamin NPXL in 22 cal pushing JSB 18 gr. Diablos at about 700 FPS. Now I have an FX Impact M3 in 22 and the JSB 25 gr. at 970 FPS make it too easy. The power and accuracy is so much better. I got this monster at 30 yards and with one shot behind the ear it rolled over and was done. Shot placement is the key.

B7142383-EFDD-46E6-ACD9-70D21C292770.jpeg

A 22lr at 100+ fpe is more powerful than most 22 caliber airguns. But my 22 and 25 caliber P35s are both at about 32 fpe and only three of 22 squirrels taken with them has failed to have an exit hole. So what does the other 68+ fpe of a 22 lr do? It isn't going to help kill the squirrel. Maybe a little flatter trajectory. Within 40 yards, my PCPs are pretty flat trajectory but at longer ranges, the 22lr would be and advantage. For small game I would argue there isn't much difference. For bigger game where more penetration is needed then the 22lr (or a more powerful PCP) will have an advantage. The most practical way to increase fpe in an airgun is to go up in caliber. But at the same fpe, the smaller caliber will have more penetration. Bigger holes tend to kill more quickly too. It all depends on what you want to do.
Yesterday afternoon I shot a red squirrel
B37C06B0-9F71-4C08-86BD-35982E18C387.jpeg
at 45yds with my .22 maverick. I used a 20.5 hollow ogive slug from my Corbin setup. When I checked the fps a while back it was shooting them at 950-954. I don’t know how many fpe this is but to my surprise there was no exit wound.
I just went out back to get it to extract the slug and some other varmint beat me to it. Time to get a thermal I guess! Always something else to buy. lol

I’ve killed a number of squirrels and raccoons with my Benjamin NPXL in 22 cal pushing JSB 18 gr. Diablos at about 700 FPS. Now I have an FX Impact M3 in 22 and the JSB 25 gr. at 970 FPS make it too easy. The power and accuracy is so much better. I got this monster at 30 yards and with one shot behind the ear it rolled over and was done. Shot placement is the key.

View attachment 327567
Me and my buddy were out last Sunday and he shot this one with my .25 avenger bullpup at 25yds. At 70 degrees it was shooting the hades at 914 shot after shot. I don’t know how much slower it would be at 35 degrees colder out though. I have never seen such a red coon befoe.
8CD550D6-12D7-4B4B-B5C9-9AB02FBAF596.jpeg

It definitely looked way more red in person. I don’t know if some setting on my phone needs to be changed or what but the blood in the snow looks red. lol