• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.22 CZ pellet barrel good with slugs?

I currently have a .22 Taipan Veteran with a LW barrel. Most of the shootings I do are within 50 meters and I prefer to use pellets at those distances. However, I also occasionally want to target practice at longer distances, probably up to 100 meters and I want to use slugs or hybrids for those. I've read at least a few comments from people saying that their Veteran with LW barrels are also very accurate with slugs or hybrids.

With that said, I've also been curious about the CZ pellet barrels and I've been thinking of trying to find one for my Veteran long. However, the tight choke that makes the CZ barrels so accurate with pellets seem to work against them when it comes to slugs. I don't recall seeing anyone comment positively about the slug performance of the Veteran/Mutant with a CZ barrel. This is in regards to the .22 caliber. I'm aware that there is a CZ slug barrel for the Veteran but I do not want a dedicated slug barrel for the few occasions I plan to shoot slugs.

My question is, is it worth sacrificing slug accuracy to gain a slight improvement in pellet accuracy going from the LW to the CZ barrel? To be frank, I do not have any complaints with the pellet accuracy of the LW barrel that I have. I'm just curious to try with what people are saying about the CZ barrels.

Francis

Good question about the CZ barrel, I know from my own guns they are some super accurate barrel, But I would like to broaden your question has any one ever ruined a barrel shooting slugs, You know went from pellets to slugs then back to pellets and it screwed every thing up???

I will say I am pretty skittish about putting a slug down any of my barrels, I might try with my Mutant 22 its got a Listone barrel that shoots any pellet super good, But its only shooting 16 gr low 800 , High 700 FPS so no real need for a slug....

Mike

That's a good question as well. So far from searching, I've seen at least 2 people with LW Veterans say their guns shoot NSA 17.5gr .2165 slugs. On the otherhand, I've read a number of people saying that even .216 on their CZ barrels are VERY tight when pushing the projectile into the barrel. I read 1 person say that their CZ barrel Taipan shoots slugs better than their other gun with a LW barrel, but for the most part, people with CZ barrels who comments about slugs mostly say that they have issues getting good groups. These are all anecdotal evidence from people's comments on the internet that I have read. Please correct me if there are misinformation on my part.

I used to have a taipan veteran long .22 it shoot slugs great if they were below 22g why barrel is tight lo anything longer than that it shoot horrible...that was until I decided to try boat tail slugs I tested some 28g and it shoot awesome but it was lacking of the power to push them at the ideal speed at that time they were no plenums available yet..boat tails are heavy but that design have less drag in the barrel...now I have a old standard .22 cricket it shoot great the 17.5 -- n 20g slugs..but since the knock outs are soft lead or at least softer than the NSA ..it shoot those great to..

IMG_20201018_120500.1609748826.jpg

The speed is 800 NOT 900 fps

CZ barrel, Taipan Mutant 5.5, the good old one OEM use the same from CZ 200

Good post. I have been looking into a slug shooter. I really dont want to buy any slugs only to find that I waisted money on them because my air guns wont shoot them well. I do have a .25 vulcan that I might pick some up for. I am really considering getting the EVOL .22 HPS. Hell I probably would of bought/ordered one last week. AoA is just down the road from me. Honestly Im downright terrified with all the political crap going on right now. Ill most likely wait and see if all hell breaks out in the next few weeks. Sorry for bring up the s@&t.