.22 Cricket mini Carbine Power Tune

I think Charlie did more porting and shaping than I did. He’s the Cricket Master, I’m just the Grasshopper. So I didn’t mess with the breech transfer port and didn’t enlarge the barrel port. But, got pretty much the same results by adding the plenum. It works good with the DonnyFL Tanto since the plenum makes the air tube a little longer than the shroud. But the Tanto is small enough diameter to fit, and the gun is truly mouse fart quiet. And since we both got the plenum for under $40, it didn’t cost much to try it out. I’m not sure what the results would be adding the plenum to your Charlie Freer tuned gun? You should try it and see, leave all other settings the same and install the plenum. Super easy and takes very little time. 

Mike

Tempting, but I don’t want to mess with the warranty. Charlie has one of the best customer service out there, but if I mess with this one, it may null any warranty he provides. 

Did you shoot it without the plenum first? I would be really curious to know if there’s a difference or not. Charlie basically was saying the barrel is not long enough to take advantage of the added air volume in the plenum. 

Another thought if you think that porting can be better is to hire it done by Charlie, Ernest, or anyone else that can do it better than it is now. If you think it’s worth it. 

Either way, that is an awesome job, congrats! I still have not been able to get out and do some long range shooting like I want. 

Merry Christmas, guys!!!

Brian in MI

1545710506_12832321875c21abaaae62e3.35361698_8031A1A8-5B39-486B-8936-A866378F135E.jpeg

I think the addition of the plenum will help. Just look at the examples of two of my tunes; .22 Cricket Pup/17.7” barrel & .22 Cricket Carbine/21.26” barrel.

All tunes get new o’rings throughout, the lead, crown & bore polished as well as any needed adjustments to actuation system for the magazine. Rebuild and polished internals of the regulator. Lube where needed & properly rated hammer spring is also a must.

The pup has an added plenum. It received a radiused firing-valve with lighter valve-return spring & reg was adjusted to 150 bar. The action and barrel ports were not touched. The gun produces 44.7 FPE for 32 shots on a fill. 

The carbine has no added plenum. It received a radiused firing-valve with lighter valve-return spring & reg was adjusted to 136 bar. All ports were opened up. The gun produces 44.2 FPE for 32 shots on a fill. 

The plenum definitely is helping the pup above. It has a considerably shorter barrel but has overcome that with tuning. It is actually very efficient considering what it is and the power it’s producing. The carbine is no slouch either 😉. Both are super accurate with the 25.39 .22 RD Monsters at loooong distances to 100 yards. 

@zx10wall Yes, I was following your progress on that gun since Fuss sent it your way (I’m assuming you are talking of his). Perhaps one day I will have the time, knowledge, and nads to tear into one like you guys. In the meantime I’m just trying to learn as much as possible. Either way, my range is 30 yards in the burbs, so that’s too much power for me right now. Great job! 

@zx10wall Yes, I was following your progress on that gun since Fuss sent it your way (I’m assuming you are talking of his). Perhaps one day I will have the time, knowledge, and nads to tear into one like you guys. In the meantime I’m just trying to learn as much as possible. Either way, my range is 30 yards in the burbs, so that’s too much power for me right now. Great job!

Yes, Fuss’s bullpup is the one I was referring to. Thank you man.