.22 Cricket mini Carbine free floating barrel mod

1546797403_16138178655c32415b28d191.53579925_703D4417-052C-4911-8B36-E7AC974269C8.jpeg

Decided I'd had enough of my POI changing every time I slightly tightened or loosened the shroud, or installed or removed my DonnyFL. So, I bought a section of carbon fiber tubing (16mm ID x 18mm OD), and used that as a non-functional shroud. The adaptor was purchased on eBay from EagleVision (model KGB-2), and the moderator is a DonnyFL .25 caliber Tanto. The gun is about as loud as it was with the stock shroud. FYI, I had tried the o-ring hack, and that was good for temperature changes and such, but the POI still changed when tighten or loosen the shroud or moderator. This way there is no tension at all on the barrel, and the gun is every bit as accurate as it was prior - which is to say, its a laser beam. Skinny shroud is CF. Adaptor and Tanto are CF wrap. 

1546797361_854951045c3241311d96d3.16295839_0BE2161D-23F4-48B4-BE83-9DE5C1B6520A.jpeg

I resolved my marauder issues similarly, but I still use an o-ring @ a barrel band to keep things oriented. 

I cut my shroud back to 1/2" in front of air stripper, and loctite'd the shroud to the barrel adapter with the o-ring @ barrel band, this configuration is rigid and sturdy, and adding/removing my LDC has repeatable POI every time.

Prior to the above, any change in shroud tension caused the same issue as you had, mostly because the stock marauder baffle system uses a spring that compresses against the air stripper, and depending on how much you tight/loosen shroud the more or less compression on the spring which changes how barrel is oriented, not a true 'free floater' if you ask me, with my modification its truly 'free floated' inside the shroud, where the shroud is held tight both front to back, and the new LDC I made does not put tension on the barrel like the OEM.

Glad you found a similar fix to your issues! Kudos

-Matt

Christian,

That’s a butt pad extender. I needed the gun to be about 3/4 inch longer for off hand shooting. Nick cut out a piece of mahogany and I just drilled it out and installed it between the stock and butt pad with longer screws. 

The accuracy issue with POI change wasn’t gross. I’m talking half inch at 45 yards when messing with shroud or moderator. But that’s the difference between a clean head shot or a miss at 90 yards. 

The FDE color strap is for the one point sling I use when hunting. This is my primary ground squirrel rig, good out to about 125 yards. 

@2manyairgunz, yes, I do own the Tactic in .25. The two guns are very similar. The Tactic is longer and heavier. Both very accurate, both have very good triggers but the Crickets trigger is as good as my Mutant. The Tactic just slightly less good. You can’t go wrong with either. 

@stoti, yes, it is the Caldwell. I have two and also put one on Nicks Cricket mini. Very lightweight. Very stable and locks down well. Doesn’t have the 45 degree position. Either up or down. I recommend this one. 

@douger, the CF wrap is pretty easy. Takes a little practice and you might mess up the first or second try, but it’s not too hard once you do it once or twice. Make sure you use heat like a hair dryer to make it stretch and stick better. 

When I had the equipment out to CF wrap the Cricket, I also went a little CF crazy and wrapped my Taipan Mutant and the DonnyFL Tatsu, but I didn’t take a pic of it installed on the Mutant. 

1546834330_12858829645c32d19a7ef254.81735462_22D2CC94-5DFA-4BDF-B419-9B692BC491D0.jpeg

This is my primary ground squirrel rig, good out to about 125 yards.

This just got me super fired up. I ordered my first PCP (Cricket Mini Carbine in .22). should be here friday!

I've been trying to find as much info as possible on this gun before it arrives, but the web seems pretty sparse on actual owner postings. Glad you guys have some experiences to share. 

I plan to target shoot some but mostly will use it squirrel hunting and pesting.

This is my primary ground squirrel rig, good out to about 125 yards.

This just got me super fired up. I ordered my first PCP (Cricket Mini Carbine in .22). should be here friday!

I've been trying to find as much info as possible on this gun before it arrives, but the web seems pretty sparse on actual owner postings. Glad you guys have some experiences to share. 

I plan to target shoot some but mostly will use it squirrel hunting and pesting.

Nice choice! I absolutely love mine. Albeit mine usually stays in the 35 yard range, it amazed me at 100 yards.