• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.22 cal

20220402_135444.1649003936.jpg

I think that world wide, the .177 is by far the most popular air rifle, likely outselling all others combined. With lower power restrictions elsewhere, the .177 can achieve a more reasonable velocity and trajectory, so it's easier to shoot. In the US, we want everything big, fast, and powerful. Unfortunately, we miss out on most of the 12 fpe rifles that are so sweet to shoot, with huge shot counts and virtually no noise. I de-tuned my .177 HW100 a couple of weeks ago, down to a little over 11 fpe, haven't refilled it yet! Great in the yard and still deadly on squirrels. 

I started with cheap .177 air guns and stubbornly stayed with .177 because I did not want pellets in yet another caliber and the .22 pellets seemed to be much more expensive.

Then I discovered PCPs and longer distance shooting (60-70 yards).

In .22 I am almost always shooting Crosman Premier Hollow Point pellets (AKA CPHP) which cost $6.24 a tin of 500 pellets.

I do not keep air rifles which do not shoot CPHP .22 cal accurately at longer ranges.

I have a huge stash of CPHP .22 now.

.22 cal has a clear advantage over .177 in shooting accurately at my longer distances (50 yards and more).

To shoot accurately .177 pellets at longer distances will require that you buy heavier and much more expensive .177 pellets.

In perfect conditions. 
there is no accuracy difference between .22 .25 .30

in rough conditions the higher BC projectiles will start adding in your favor big time. Longer pellets and slugs. But they also tend to cost more. In larger calipers, considerably more.

if your shooting inside of 100y I wouldn’t recommend more than .22 unless you need the energy down range. 
I used to shoot a 25cal raw, now I shoot a .22 cal raw a lot more. Ammo cost is 30% less. Accuracy is considerably better inside of 75y toss up at 100y depending on conditions.