• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

22 cal or 25 cal for long range

I am waiting for my new FX Impact for several months now here in Canada, it looks like finally this week will arrive to my local dealer.

I never shot 100 meters (and beyond) with an airgun before but this is what I see challenging and that is attracting my attention the most. Btw, I was shooting in competition Fita archery 30-50-70-90 meters for over ten years and I liked these long distances very much.

I had in mind a 25 cal 700 mm barrel, but open for other suggestions. Also pellet or slug liner or both?

I am waiting for my new FX Impact for several months now here in Canada, it looks like finally this week will arrive to my local dealer.

I never shot 100 meters (and beyond) with an airgun before but this is what I see challenging and that is attracting my attention the most. Btw, I was shooting in competition Fita archery 30-50-70-90 meters for over ten years and I liked these long distances very much.

I had in mind a 25 cal 700 mm barrel, but open for other suggestions. Also pellet or slug liner or both?

I was going to buy the 700mm .25cal MKII from AGS (for longer distances) but ended up with a .177cal Daystate Red Wolf. That's quite the 180 I did.

Corvid_hunter

How is the .177cal Daystate Red Wolf behaving with 100 meters? assume no wind or elements to mess with.

You mentioned me the RW earlier but I was kind of reluctant taking the electronic gun here to Great Lakes (Toronto), in summer months a lot of hot and humid days (talking 90% humidity) even my compound bow strings missing the accuracy a lot (no way of shooting indoors and outdoors in same day without serious retuning). And second, that humidity swings was my concern for the wooden stock as well.

And btw, I had couple years earlier every my archery tournament was purring rain big time I could barely see my 40 cm target at 50, but we never stopped the game just kept going, stop only if lightening comes.

I just received the rifle two days ago and have only shot it out to 30 yards for zeroing in purposes. The .177cal isn't a 100 yard gun unless you were shooting some type of slug (in my opinion). I'll likely end up buying a .22cal HP version for longer distances and possibly slugs. As far as the electronics go, supposedly they are nothing to be concerned about with regard to moisture etc. The laminate would stock might be more stable than the walnut version in high humidity.

For shorter distance plinking (up to 50 maybe) I have a franken 22, I was building it in my basement over 3 winters :) and the performance is not bad at all.

The wooden stocks many look very impressive as an art work, but somehow I just like the bare metal skeleton guns, the RAW chassis is really tickling my attention but that won't be available in Canada soon.

In 25 cal, especially an FX gun, the standard is 34 grn mk2’s with a pellet liner and mk1 with slug liners as both my 600 and 700 slug liners shoot mk1’s better? 25 cal slugs have been hit and miss from most the threads I have read? My experience has been the same, my 600 liked the 36 grn nsa dimple nose the best and no others, my 700 only liked the 33.5s? The only nsa slugs I have not tried is the 38’s, for reference, good =moa or better@100 5 shots or more.

It’s a toss up. The .22 RD Monsters have as good a BC as the .25 heavies, plus they shoot better at higher speeds. As far as slugs, has anyone seen the Air Hunters and AirArmsHuntingSA YouTube channels? Seems they all shoot .22 slugs and have no problem reaching out long distance to 200 yards. It all boils down to you. How good are you, not what caliber are you shooting...

Both calibers will shoot great out to 100+.

.22 cal slug performance is really shaping up nicely and the .25 slugs are still in there infant stages. We still have yet to see how H&N, FX Hybrid and the JSB’s will do.

These guns are just begging for better and more consistent ammo and it looks like some great products are coming soon.

I really love .25 and that’s what I got my FX Crown in. This is going to be the summer of slugs. I can’t wait to start testing.

My 22 cal slug gun builds have had minute of angle accuracy out to at least ~225y with 30gr ammo; some have been closer to 250y when I tested off of my little Caldwell Stinger. The heavier the projectile, the better BC and "reach". On the other hand, my .25's have had minute of angle accuracy to 300y with 38.5gr and 43.5gr Nielsen's. 

If you have enough muscle to push 36+ grain 22 cal ammo out of a barrel that likes them, then you'd be pleasantly surprised at the results!