22 cal optimal barrel length

Accuracy has nothing to do with barrel length although you may be able to shoot a bit further and better with a longer barrel.

On a Crosman 22xx gun there is far less improvement in velocity verses barrel length after 18 inches. 

But if you have more power then longer is better for more power and longer range.

That 100 yards is a long ways, for an airgun, even with a more powerful PCP. I like the 600 and 700mm for shooting at that range. 

To be honest I seldom shoot anything but a 700mm barrel at the 100 to 200 yard ranges.

Reactions: doubloon
Looking for x's at 100 yards with 22 cal. using pellets. I have 1 vote for 700mm, 1 vote for 600mm, 1 vote for 500, 1 vote for 380mm, And 1 says don't shoot so far.

as somebody mentioned, the missing factor in your question is efficiency. 350mm is long enough for velocity, but may waste more air compared to 600mm.

an example is a member that got 60fps more from a longer barrel, but this was outside the ideal velocity, so he dialed down the pressure to get back to the speed that works.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/04/is-airgun-barrel-length-important/

I was getting 930 out of 18gr 22 cal pellets pretty easily out of a 500 mm but not enough hitting power for me tried heavier pellets but it is just not like the hole a 25 cal leaves I went to 700 with 34 gr at 905 fps last weekend I was drilling pigeons at 50 and 85 yards even at 85 yards it was putting them down plus it just takes more air to get 25 gr 22 cal up to speed 

I was getting 930 out of 18gr 22 cal pellets pretty easily out of a 500 mm but not enough hitting power for me tried heavier pellets but it is just not like the hole a 25 cal leaves I went to 700 with 34 gr at 905 fps last weekend I was drilling pigeons at 50 and 85 yards even at 85 yards it was putting them down plus it just takes more air to get 25 gr 22 cal up to speed

I shoot @ 50fpe from my 500mm barrel on a mk1 fx crown

That is 950fps with 25gr slug. ( I do have this weight, and is the heaviest I go because of using a normal superior liner, not heavy)

I typically use 21gr LDC slugs as they are easier to push. I can do a bit over 900fps, get more shots, and they have long sectional density like heavier slug, but pretty much explode on impact. 

Accuracy has nothing to do with barrel length although you may be able to shoot a bit further and better with a longer barrel.

On a Crosman 22xx gun there is far less improvement in velocity verses barrel length after 18 inches. 

But if you have more power then longer is better for more power and longer range.

That 100 yards is a long ways, for an airgun, even with a more powerful PCP. I like the 600 and 700mm for shooting at that range. 

To be honest I seldom shoot anything but a 700mm barrel at the 100 to 200 yard ranges.

Agree with this mostly.

As bio points out, accuracy and precision are often misunderstood.

Higher velocity will produce a flatter trajectory (potentially reducing vertical stringing) and less hang time (potentially reducing exposure to horizontal drift from cross winds) at targets farther away.

The question is, given two equal muzzle velocities from two different length barrels, would the amount of excess gas leaving the muzzle behind the pellet be less for the longer barrel and potentially less disruptive to the pellet flight?

Scenerio. If you put $1000 up for an entry fee, and you will be shooting 3 cards with 25 x's @ 100 yards off of a bench. Any ties will be settled with 1 card at 100 yards. All entries must be 22 cal, pellets only. Winner will take all.

What length will your barrel be, and what pellet will you shoot?

I'm asking because we are seeing these super long barrels coming out in bullpups, (800mm) but the conventional rifles are not using the longer barrels, (and their winning) so is there really any benefit over a certain length when it comes to shooting pellets?