22 cal maximus question

Hi again.

Help me understand.

I love this rifle. Its the only pcp I own.

It does not have a shrouded barrel.

Today, with scope, I hit a 3" target at 80 yards. I'm not bragging, its just what I did.

So help me understand the difference between a shrouded barrel and what I can expect.

Kind of a moot point seeing as everything seems to be out of stock anyways.

Thanks

That was my first PCP rifle that I bought six years ago.For the price they are good shooting airguns And haven’t had any problems with it. I did polish the trigger mechanism to make it a little smoother and that was it.Mine is a little loud but I don’t have to worry about it where I live.I bought that and now I’m up to a Daystate.And although I know I’m not done buying airguns because I just bought another one today. I don’t really plan on buying any more high priced airguns. But I can’t guarantee that. I’m just saying that I’m pretty happy with what I have now.

If you want to quiet down the Maximus, add the TKO 5" or 6.5" moderator. I've used both. They both make the gun backyard friendly and don't effect accuracy at all.

MJS is correct. Just add a TKO and you are good to go. Was the right one for me at the time to keep it quiet and keep it accurate. No need to "shroud the barrel", spend that money elsewhere. Have fun.

Patrick 

Yes, I already have the 6.5" TKO moderator and couldn't agree with you more. It is an amazing difference in sound and I like the way it looks.

I guess what I'm really wondering about is how easy it seems to be to 'flex' the barrel. Although it's steel, I'm surprised at how much it will move if I apply just a little pressure on it midway between the mounts. I just wonder if inadvertently laying it down on a table, or resting it against a wall where the top of the barrel is touching the wall (or table) is enough side pressure to push it off center the next time I use it. I try not to place it in those positions, but especially with the TKO sticking out so far, and the scope, it's difficult not to have the barrel touching something.

I've seen a video where someone stuck what looked like pieces of foam between the barrel and the stock, and another video that I really didn't understand where the owner of TKO does something to the barrel band. What are the benefits of what they are doing? Is it to somehow stiffen the barrel, or is it better to leave it alone? I feel like if I played around with that, I'm probably going to cause more bad than good. :)

One more thing. Has anyone seen the accessory for this rifle that turns it into a multiple load option instead of single shot? I saw a video on it a while back but I think it was from England.

Thanks!

...and another video that I really didn't understand where the owner of TKO does something to the barrel band. What are the benefits of what they are doing?

Important that the barrel band is secured to the air tube, if it moves it will change to point of impact, could be he secured it with another screw or added an extra one

maximus barrel band.1621862877.JPG

On my Maximus & Discovery I like using the TKO and GEO moderators that have a front sight.

Coupled with a Williams peep the sight radius becomes a very long 39" 34" (Maximus)

Great for accuracy!!

About multi shot capability

I tried the first version of Grav Mag and gave up on it

Watching the video link today I may try the latest version as it appears to be very much improved; and not too outrageously priced

Worth risking a few buck I think.

There are also Multi Shot Breeches available from GMAC (UK), Exclusive Air Guns (Thailand), Custom Air Shop (Russia)

Here are the links

https://www.gmaccustomparts.com/epages/BT3197.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3197/Products/002-0620

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284184733715?var=585671899643&hash=item422abae813:g:G0EAAOSwEOhfPj5T

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153719436869?hash=item23ca647645:g:qSMAAOSwTFxde4~e

I have the Exclusive Breech but have not yet installed it, so cannot say anything other than it appears to be well made,

A short coming is that no instructions are provided, but the seller does respond to questions

Read the fine print carefully on the Russian Breech as it is not plug & play; but requires cutting the barrel among other things

Bear in mind please that I too am a relative novice, not an expert by any means

Take 2 grains of salt and re-evaluate in the morning

Hope this helps

Ed