.22 (18.1 pellets) - RAW HM1000x LRT @ 100 Yds. almost Guarantees inconsistancy!

Hey Guys,

Trying to get a (10) or (12) shot 1 MOA group at 100 yards is almost impossible & when it happens - its mostly luck.

Even a (1) to (3) mile wind will ruin the group, especially with wind moving in various directions throughout the 100 yard journey. Good luck trying to read that; it's almost a waste of pellets... I think I'm going to concentrate of 50 yards to regain my sanity. While shooting outdoors at 100 yards can be fun, expecting to get 1 MOA is mostly predetermined failure.

https://hardairmagazine.com/ham-columns/the-external-ballistics-of-diabolo-pellets/

I like to quantify my guns' accuracy in outdoor conditions, staring with shooting groups of at least five shots. Even so, I don't consider a single group indicative of a guns or shooters accuracy. Takes the average of at least three consecutive five-shot groups to start drawing any indications about accuracy potentials. I get sub-MOA groups quite often, but sub-MOA averages at 100 yards with pellets are virtually non-existent.

I've said and written many times that seeking the MOA at 100 yards holy grail with pellet guns is such a challenge because we're attempting to do something completely contrary to what pellets and pellet guns were, and are, intended specifically not to do. The BEAUTY and ADVANTAGE of pellets and pellet guns over firearms are their superiority to firearms for the purposes and reasons we use and love them so much.

All that said, it can be done. But don't hold your breath.

AEA .81 at 100.1653517918.jpg

AEA .85 at 100.1653517985.jpg

Both targets above were shot with a $500 Chinese PCP, that I wouldn't describe as having a premium barrel. The two targets below were shot with HIGH-$$$ PCPs with Lothar Walther barrels (that I would describe as 'premium').

RW at 100.1653518078.jpg

Sniper MOA.1653518118.jpg

You just saw how many times I've achieved 1 MOA average groups at 100 yards with airguns in 20 some-odd years of trying, with a few dozen powerful PCPs.

I'm in the 50 yards or less camp with 22 cal. Even my RAW HM1000X struggles to make consistent MOA groups past 50. Now, at 50 and 25 yards, that's a totally different story. If wind isn't a big factor, I can make ragged hole groups all day. But bring in wind and I have to spend quality time waiting for a lull before sending a pellet. And that's all with 25 grain redesigns.

Don't be hard on yourself, have a sip of good KY bourbon and relax.

Best advice I have heard all day!

Yeah, I like the general advice ... but what usually makes me feel better is another coffee!

After head sizing and weighing pellets, I could really see how the wind makes many shots uncontrollable .... and somewhat of a waste of good lead.

Yeah, I like the general advice ... but what usually makes me feel better is another coffee!

After head sizing and weighing pellets, I could really see how the wind makes many shots uncontrollable .... and somewhat of a waste of good lead.

IMHO most people with good quality airgun theses can get a MOA group without wind. The wind separate boys from the men, learn to read and adjust for wind then you will have a ton more fun especially shooting with others in the wind. Most of us will be bored if every group is a MOA group.😜

How fast are the pellets (18.1 gr) going in your RAW?

Asking OP?

I was shooting today at 950/960 fps; yesterday got better groups (same velocity), but with less wind. A few weeks ago shot the 18.1's at 1030, they actually shot surprising well too.

So far, with the 18.1 grain JSB/FX anything from 925/1030 seems to be good in my RAW Poly .....

“Kentucky” is redundant to the word “bourbon”. Absolutely my favorite drink, and there is so much good bourbon available today. Unfortunately, the secondary market hoarders have taken to Blanton’s - it’s tougher to find than tins of 500 JSB 18.13 grainers these days…

1596469646_16450944945f28318e636492.04656052.1653571911.jpg
1596469645_3240980125f28318d330952.84550982.1653571911.jpg

1 = POA

2 = POI

950 fps 116 yards around 8 shots of JSB 18.13 well under an inch.

This is with my RAW HM1000X .22. with BSA hammer forged barrel. A few years old pics.

Wind conditions were very favourable and looked like no wind but I think I did not check the real wind speed.

All pellets shot from the top of my car. No proper bench rest.

But I admit it is possible only if there is almost no wind. Otherwise 18.13 grain .22 cannot beat the wind in long distance. 

Bhaur

Reactions: Richieg
Sub MOA, 10 shot groups with 18g, @100y, outdoors = good luck! You need all the planets to be in alignment (which happens once every 200 years).

Agree here with Michael ( and others )….

I have tried this many times outdoors at 100 yards with my RAW HM1000x .22 HP Poly barrel. JSB 25.39 is much better than the 18.1 g pellets, but even then it’s not realistic to shoot “average” MOA groups at 100y with pellets. As others have indicated, 1” is achievable but the emphasis is on ‘rarely’ or ‘occasionally;’ but don’t expect average MOA.

I do think that as the technology for airguns continues to improve, and if /when 40g commercially available slugs ( not pellets) become available, the ability to do this with more frequency will be possible.