.22 (18.1 pellets) - RAW HM1000x LRT @ 100 Yds. almost Guarantees inconsistancy!

Yeah, the Tease for me is, I've always had groups where 7 or 8 of a 12 round clip, or 6 to 7 of a 10 shot group were sub 3/4" with the rest being 1.25" to 1.5". I got my RAW's ES below 15 fps, a harmonic tuner installed and now have weighed my pellets by 10 grain increments, varying speeds between 925/1030 fps.

With the 18.1's, after this the rest is the wind and me.... I've got some FX 25.4 RD, but for now the 18.1's shoot better.

Next, I will go to trying the 25.4 RD some more and likely slugs as Randy has suggested. Also, move up to my .25 cal RAW.

Also, as qball has said, it would be boring if you could achieve 1 MOA at 100 yards all the time. That's why I originally went out to 100 yards from 50 - 50 yards seemed too easy!

Wouldn’t we all like to be bored? 😀 I hear ya…

To be honest, if you are genuinely trying to assess your accuracy at 50 or 100 yards, the best way for me to do it is shooting for score. There are several venues to do this if bench rest accuracy is your passion. I.e., N50 practice or local matches, random AGN virtual challenges at specified distances, EBR/ RMAC face to face, etc.

Shooting multiple groups for me is more of a diagnostic tool vs. assessing true accuracy. I can start forming an opinion only after 50-75 shots ( 5-shot groups); but score shooting is the best determinant for me. YMMV…

Wouldn’t we all like to be bored? 😀 I hear ya…

To be honest, if you are genuinely trying to assess your accuracy at 50 or 100 yards, the best way for me to do it is shooting for score. There are several venues to do this if bench rest accuracy is your passion. I.e., N50 practice or local matches, random AGN virtual challenges at specified distances, EBR/ RMAC face to face, etc.

Shooting multiple groups for me is more of a diagnostic tool vs. assessing true accuracy. I can start forming an opinion only after 50-75 shots ( 5-shot groups); but score shooting is the best determinant for me. YMMV…

Yeah, moving in that direction - might find out I stink .....

Trying to get a (10) or (12) shot 1 MOA group at 100 yards is almost IMPOSSIBLE & when it happens - its mostly LUCK.

SpiralGroove/ Kirk, 😊

with all due respect, it seems clear that what you are missing to get those MOA groups is... faith!

● And you need to sort your pellets.

● After you washed them carefully.

● And lubed them with SnekOel-40. Only on full moon nights!

● To "drastically reduce the flex" or your gun you must give in to the upgraditis virus and install the EfKix Backbone Rail — though it won't reduce the flex of your barrel shaped as a 700mm long drinking-straw.

● Unless the price of your scope matches the price of your gun, don't even think about getting MOA groups. Much less attempt to get them.

● Any part or accessory on your gun that is made in China will add 3/4 MOA to your group size. Guaranteed. Just ask the Communists.

Posting on AGN at least 4 times weekly will decrease your group sizes by 1/4 MOA. Guaranteed. Just ask Michael.

● If you send me a money order over 10 dollars I will wave my magic target wand from the distance and further reduce your groups by 1/2 a thou.

😆

Matthias

PS: In all seriousness:

I really appreciate this thread and many of the posts. Some excellent shooters took the pressure of me and helped me to be satisfied with less than MOA groups with pellets at 100y.

THANKS! 👍🏼

I also appreciate the repeated calls to shoot (and measure and post) CONSISTENT groups —— not CHERRY-PICKED groups — meaning at least three 5-shot groups. 👍🏼

Reactions: saitama
Sub MOA, 10 shot groups with 18g, @100y, outdoors = good luck! You need all the planets to be in alignment (which happens once every 200 years).

You know what they say though, the better you are the luckier you get. 😜

Except my luck ran out but tantalizingly close on this target, I have gotten 1 or 2 MOA groups with CPHP before but can’t find the pictures. This is 14.3 CPHP flying at 880fps at 100 yards on a range that wind likes to switch direction constantly, obviously very few groups are small like this out of many many groups with CPHP pellets.

8B96AC2B-1F86-4715-83F7-E535D8F8B4C1.1653689351.jpeg

That’s 4 shots in under an inch but the 5th shot the wind switched direction 180 degrees. It’s self torture/mutilation, weird, twisted, down down right demented kind of fun. 🤣 The bright side is over 100 shots a fill and cost 1 cent a shot cheap bastard kind of fun also, very satisfying when I get the wind dope right though. 

Ok, ok, consistent sub MOA groups with .22 pellets is very difficult at the very least.

Spiral, forgot to mention, also try the NSA 20gr .2175 they are longer than the 17.5gr and might get better accuracy using your JSB 25gr tune, that speed should stabilize them easily, definitely get NSA 's sampler packs for both .22 & .25 cals. And, your 25cal RAW 's platform might be easier to find slugs that shoot accurately, both calibers 920fps and above. With these LW non choked poly barrels, accuracy seems to be mostly how well the slugs contact the lands (snug fit) a little more force to close cocking lever. Have fun shooting those incredible Rapids! 

For 22 superior liner I would also highly recommend the 20 or 23 grain NSA! Shockingly good and easily pushed to 900+ fps with an impact.

I have a .22 superior liner in my hm1000x

i got stable flight with 17.5 and 20.2 gr nsa. Even down go 750fps.

that gun has taught me that stable flight, has a great deal to do with the harmonics of a platform.

RAWs generally shoot the Monster Redesigned much better than the 18.13s, especially if it's shooting them fast.

So true! But...the RD's are just so expensive to shoot/plink with! I detuned my .22 to shoot 18gr @ 950fps (for cost purposes) and with no wind, accuracy is close to 25gr but in windy conditions I switch to NSA 17.5gr which have a much better BC than even the 25gr. The RD 's are so much better than 18''s in wind for sure, best .22 pellet bar none.

RAWs generally shoot the Monster Redesigned much better than the 18.13s, especially if it's shooting them fast.

So true! But...the RD's are just so expensive to shoot/plink with! I detuned my .22 to shoot 18gr @ 950fps (for cost purposes) and with no wind, accuracy is close to 25gr but in windy conditions I switch to NSA 17.5gr which have a much better BC than even the 25gr. The RD 's are so much better than 18''s in wind for sure, best .22 pellet bar none.

So far the FX 25.4 RD's in .22 caliber aren't as accurate as my 18.13's @ 100 yds. in my RAW, but maybe that will change when get another lot. Also, the 25.4 RD are almost impossible to buy anywhere right now ......... Everybody wants them and JBS can't produce them fast enough.