.217 vs .218 vs .219?

Hello all.

I know the only way to know is trying the damn things, but in theory, why should one choose one over the other?
Currently I have a Uragan 2 600mm .22. It has an unchocked barrel, so my guess is that bigger diameter should be better right? The smaller diameter should be more apropriete for a chocked barrel? Or not really? From limited experience the gun preferes .218 over .217, but could be that specific projectiles that I tried. I dont have any .219 to try.
I've read in a random facebook comment that bigger diameter should be better in long range, does that have any ground whatsoever? Or depends on the gun/barrel?

Thanks!

not really, or maybe .. push a pellet through from the breech end using a dowl or cleaning rod .. if it can be done fairly easily all the way through by hand but takes a stiff push thats about right .. if it majorly hangs at the breech thats a breech snag you need to deal with, but it should get tight as it engages the rifling past the throat and then even out the rest of the way until it hits a choke if presnt which would get extremely tight usually ... but if that whole procedure seems just very loose and easy the pellet isnt going to engage the barrel well so use a larger one, possible youd have to polish the throat so its smooth feeding ... beyond that if everything is kosh on the size going larger does little to nothing, the barrel simply swages the big one down to the previous size given it feeds ok, again with a larger one it may require throat work to cycle ok.

How would i "slug" my barrel?
Remove your barrel. rest the breach end on a folded towel on a bench. tap a wide diameter slug into the muzzle nose first with a rubber mallet, once fully in, take a wood dowel , for 22 probably 1/8" and push the slug through and out the breech end. secondly turn the barrel around and tap a second slug nose first into the breech end and push with dowel only 6 inches in, then take the dowel and insert dowel through the muzzle end and push slug back out the breech. Now the important part, take a micrometer and measure GENTLY the ridges of the slug so as not to crush them into the slug body - that will yield groove diameter - which is the key number. If both slugs are within .002 of an inch barrel is unchoked, if they are about .02-.03 of an inch different, barrel is chocked. Lastly, twist rate comes into play. The faster the twist, the heavier the slug and longer the slug that can be accomodated.

Reactions: TRIPP
Yes the tail . The Fx barrel were never made fore anything else but the heads..
What I am looking to find out is what the FX liners fail to do with the tail. It is my understanding that with any air gun the initial push of air expands the skirt into the lands of the barrel, so I am wondering if something in the FX design does not allow this toI happen or if not that, what is the specific problem they have in dealing with the skirt?

Reactions: madeintheuk