• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

20yrd groups awesome but 30 yrd groups are poor

I haven't really run into this problem with any of my rifles. At these relatively short distances, usually the difference between 20 and 30 yrds is minor.
Now with my Hammerli 850 (.177) shooting at 20 yrds, I am seeing about 0.400 groups with JSB Exact 8.43gr and CPHP's are about the same. Then at 30 yds they open up to 1.25" at best with the JSB's and even worst is CPHP go to over 2". I have tried about 10 other various pellets and most were worse.

Right now I am chalking this up to a pellet issue. At first I thought maybe the pellet velocity could be an issue, but certainly 700fps is plenty for 30 yards.
I am a bit stumped on why I am seeing the groups open up so wide in just 10 yards. ​​ ​

Lets see...its a new gun,. Well actually a warranty replacement to another 850 that failed. I haven't measured the velocity yet as Its been very overcast for weeks. I can say that it is hitting very hard. I have a metal swinging flip up target that is made from 5mm plate. Its a firearm target. Anyways, it has no problem at 20 yrds flipping the target up with 8.4 grain pellets. Temps have been in the high 60's to low 70's , wind has been under 5mph, I am just shooting from a seated position and resting on my knee. Fairly stable but not like its locked in a rifle rest. I suspected tumbling pellets. but the holes in the targets are clean. Only when I tried some H&N sniper magnum 16 gr pellets did the holes finally ripped like the pellet was hitting at an angle. 
If the barrel was bad, I think it would have poor accuracy at any distance? They are Lother Walther barrels and I haven't read of any barrel issues on the gun. ​Certainly can't be ruled out. I am going to re-clean the barrel, the first one was just a quick swab and do a close inspection.
The patterns even though crappy, they are consistent. Crossman HP's are a vertical string to the left of center. The JSB's are round and in an arc pattern.
I ​​ will see how the new pellets shoot when they get in. Unfortunately the weather turned cold and won't warm up to the upper 60's till Saturday.

Thanks for the help so far.

The small errors in the consistency of our hold and trigger pull get exponentially magnified the farther out we go. I would do what .30 cal says and get the gun as stable as you can on a steady table. This will tell you if it's the gun or not. I have to say, every single time I've thought to myself, "something is wrong with this gun or this scope", the more I looked into it and checked it out, the more I realized it was me!