20x magnification for FT

Absolutely. I've shot them with fixed 4x scopes and still had fun and scored well enough. 20x will give you decent ranging ability so go have some fun.
I appreciate the advice. I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to make it to a match but would still like to set up a rifle and scope just in case the opportunity comes up.
Thanks

Reactions: Pea-shooter O.G.
I appreciate the advice. I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to make it to a match but would still like to set up a rifle and scope just in case the opportunity comes up.
Thanks
don't forget to practice , practice , you can use 3x5 note card and draw different size kill zones on and placed the distances needed , a saw slot in a piece (2x4) of wood to hold the card . Also practice set up and takedown of your shot .

don't forget to practice , practice , you can use 3x5 note card and draw different size kill zones on and placed the distances needed , a saw slot in a piece (2x4) of wood to hold the card . Also practice set up and takedown of your shot .

I use the baseball card for practicing ranging and thetarget for obvious reasons

Resized_20230325_161907.jpeg
Resized_20230326_105225.jpeg

My favorite rifle wears a Leupold EFR 6.5-20x. It has had most of its shots fired at Field Target matches. Nobody shoots Open class, tune your gun to 12 ft lbs and shoot WFTF.
I'll look into WFTF. I have my HW97 tuned to about 11 fpe. I added a TBT short stroke space and might have to add a spacer to get closer to 12 fpe.

Reactions: c_m_shooter
I'll look into WFTF. I have my HW97 tuned to about 11 fpe. I added a TBT short stroke space and might have to add a spacer to get closer to 12 fpe.
lots of UK shooter use 8.5 to 10 FPE and score just as high as we do . Plus @ 11.6 FPE you need to test the pellet weight so it does not go over 12FPE

It is not so much the equipment you use it is how you use said equipment .

True up to a point, scope selection will make a very big difference. I have seen high mag scopes doesn’t range as well as a lower mag scope, these aspects are part of scope design or not necessarily good vs bad scope. I have a 16x scope that can range better than a 25x scope at 40+ yards but they are designed for very different applications. Scope selection is one of the big knowhow/skills necessary for this game of field target.

The best FT shooter will perform badly with the wrong scope!

Reactions: Vincent10
True up to a point, scope selection will make a very big difference. I have seen high mag scopes doesn’t range as well as a lower mag scope, these aspects are part of scope design or not necessarily good vs bad scope. I have a 16x scope that can range better than a 25x scope at 40+ yards but they are designed for very different applications. Scope selection is one of the big knowhow/skills necessary for this game of field target.

The best FT shooter will perform badly with the wrong scope!

One local club gave the ranges of the targets at a few matches awhile back and it did not change the outcome of the matches from normal. Average scores stayed the same. There is more to the game than ranging, although some think ranging is everything. Especially if you are shooting a springer. There is more than one way to range a target, and the best shooters will use them all. Then you have to build a steady position, hold consistantly, trust your notebook, and read the wind.

When AAFTA changed the rules from 12x to 16x for hunter class there was not a huge jump in scores. The same guys who were winning continued to win, but now the rules catered to a few of their scopes....

One local club gave the ranges of the targets at a few matches awhile back and it did not change the outcome of the matches from normal. Average scores stayed the same. There is more to the game than ranging, although some think ranging is everything. Especially if you are shooting a springer. There is more than one way to range a target, and the best shooters will use them all. Then you have to build a steady position, hold consistantly, trust your notebook, and read the wind.

When AAFTA changed the rules from 12x to 16x for hunter class there was not a huge jump in scores. The same guys who were winning continued to win, but now the rules catered to a few of their scopes....

Average score isn’t a huge indication of everything and everyone involved. Assuming shooters are at the same higher skill level then accurate ranging will make a difference especially when the KZ shrinks on harder course layout. When someone is shooting at or even below 50% then scope clearly isn’t as big of factor. When someone is trying to get to 90% from 80% or 70% to 80% the. Ranging plays a much bigger role.

AirnGasman on this forum still competes with an old Weaver scopes with front objective parrallax and duplex reticles, and can outshoot most.

He clearly is very skilled and gives himself a handicap for bragging rights or rub it in for everyone else. To my understanding he is more of an anomaly than the norm.

Plus do not discount AO scopes, AO does not degrade image quality which is necessary for ranging, AO is just not as user friendly as side focus. User friendliness aside AO is simpler and better optically and mechanically, just look at Valdada IOR Terminator. Its IOR’s best image quality scope still. Side focus is much more complex because it’s moving the AO all the way to the side with mechanical links and gears which takes up more room which reduce the size of the lenses.

Last edited:
Post #3 and post #4

Reactions: Sqwirl57