• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A 20fpe springer, or just under, from the factory for FT

So I just found out they shoot FT the next town over, and I'd like to try my skills.

I only have a Diana 460 mag .22, so too powerful and I don't want to use .22 or detune it as it's a great shooter. I've never had or used a PCP, and the only ones I've seen that interest me are unreleased and unproven. A match is 50 shots, maybe more, so a top off would probably be required. Distance is 10-55 yards.

My question is: Is there an accurate under lever, or I guess side lever (I don't want to cock a gun using the barrel), in .177 for a flatter trajectory, that comes in just under 20pfe right out of the box?

I know the top guys are shooting PCPs, but I'm of the opinion that if someone uses inferior equipment, that really separates the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated

Reactions: Bandito
😳20 fpe you’re probably not going to hit anything because of the recoil. A lot of guys take their .177 HW97 or TX200 and detune them to something like 10-12 foot pounds. You don’t have to shoot a pcp to be accurate . These are both under levers
I have a couple of HW97s with tune kits. One is tuned with a Maccari UK kit to just under 11fpe and the shot cycle is very mild, crosshairs barely move. At 50 yards in mild winds it'll print 1"or less 5-shot groups.
My other HW97 has a Vortek PG4 HO kit for full power. The shot cycle with 10.5 grains versus 8.5 or 7.9 grain pellets was not as smooth in my opinion. Accuracy at 50 yds was under 1" but I prefer the 97 at 12fpe or less for target shooting.

😳20 fpe you’re probably not going to hit anything because of the recoil. A lot of guys take their .177 HW97 or TX200 and detune them to something like 10-12 foot pounds. You don’t have to shoot a pcp to be accurate . These are both under levers

20+fpe shot while standing and grasping a door frame, rifle rested on that hand.

560.JPG

The best field target springers are HW77/97 or TX200. Well tuned Diana 54s are quite good if you don’t mind extra weight. I believe most competitors don’t attempt to reach 20fpe even if it’s permitted with the class rules. Even pcp shooters don’t make a serious effort to get real close to 20fpe. Find a tune that makes the pellets fly true and with high BC.

You should decide now if you want to compete in an Open or Hunter class (20fpe allowed) or WFTF (12fpe allowed). I’d still shoot an HW77/97 or TX200 but to be under 12 it will need some tuning.

I owned a Pro Elite once - they are now hard to find, almost none were .177 caliber, and right at 20fpe. Not a field target gun.

The best field target springers are HW77/97 or TX200. Well tuned Diana 54s are quite good if you don’t mind extra weight. I believe most competitors don’t attempt to reach 20fpe even if it’s permitted with the class rules. Even pcp shooters don’t make a serious effort to get real close to 20fpe. Find a tune that makes the pellets fly true and with high BC.

You should decide now if you want to compete in an Open or Hunter class (20fpe allowed) or WFTF (12fpe allowed). I’d still shoot an HW77/97 or TX200 but to be under 12 it will need some tuning.

I owned a Pro Elite once - they are now hard to find, almost none were .177 caliber, and right at 20fpe. Not a field target gun.

Over 500 PE's were made in .177. People also say an R9 is not a field target gun yet I've won 2 state championships with mine and it was shooting 15-16fpe

To be fair, 500 is an incredibly low number given the circumstances. From what I'm seeing only half of all PEs were exported and then given they're at least 20yrs old at this point, I'm betting a lot of them have been lost to time at this point. Not to mention the collectors who have them that just aren't going to part ways. "Hard to find" seems like a pretty reasonable statement.

Accuracy always trumps speed. If you look at some shoot reports you will see that most if not all springer competitors use one of the 2 guns mentioned above In .177 tuned down to 10-12 fpe. Save yourself a ton of money and regret by going what has been proven to be successful at FT. Uj

To be fair, 500 is an incredibly low number given the circumstances. From what I'm seeing only half of all PEs were exported and then given they're at least 20yrs old at this point, I'm betting a lot of them have been lost to time at this point. Not to mention the collectors who have them that just aren't going to part ways. "Hard to find" seems like a pretty reasonable statement.

I've owned at least 4 PE's and one is a walnut .177

Here is my take on power and speed.All projectiles have a sweet spot, but many times it is not in the higher power range the gun is capable of....20# means nothing,it is just a figure. There are specific fps for specific "ammo",=pellets.
So you want to shoot for accuracy, you want a pellet to do the best job it can and the ranges you are shooting. ,it is finding the best combination that will do the job. Sorry, I just had a mental lapse,for real:eek:

Reactions: genericAGuser
I've owned at least 4 PE's and one is a walnut .177
Thats great and I'm happy for you but that doesn't make them easy to find though...

That being said if you can find me one that isn't outrageously expensive, tell them to contact me. I'd love to have one. Personally I'd prefer one of the "easier" to find .22s if possible

Thats great and I'm happy for you but that doesn't make them easy to find though...

That being said if you can find me one that isn't outrageously expensive, tell them to contact me. I'd love to have one. Personally I'd prefer one of the "easier" to find .22s if possible

It was never a question of they are not hard to find or not easy, I responded to the "almost none were .177 caliber". 500 is pretty far from none and no fewer than 2 PE's were on eBay for some time!

It was never a question of they are not hard to find or not easy, I responded to the "almost none were .177 caliber". 500 is pretty far from none and no fewer than 2 PE's were on eBay for some time!
Just checked and they aren't now unfortunately. I'm afraid to ask how much the asking price was if you remember (so I can kick myself for missing them)