2058 yards! A new WORLD record!

Good info has not been forthcoming, so I’m going to be a little harsh here.

They didn’t tell us how they knew it was 2058 yds. Going in, they didn’t know the BC of the slug, didn’t know the velocity, didn’t know the elevation (barometric pressure), couldn’t determine the needed compensation, so they were ill-prepared and the gun/scope was not setup to make a shot that far. They couldn’t see the target through the scope, so they lobbed slugs into the sky, hoping to hit the target. Someone called a hit (even before the slug would have reached the target). The target strike was never shown, but they said it did not chip any paint, and the mark was described as something that read like a bird dropping.

Congratulations on your new world record!

But the even newer “world record” is 2361yds that I just did. I’m pretty sure I saw an impact, but It was too far to go take a picture. But I can post a video of me pulling the trigger.

——

When I first saw the “2058 yard” video, I thought it might have been made as a joke in response to the Altaros videos, but many seem to be taking it seriously.

It’s all bull poop (or bird poop).

Last edited:
This thread should be updated as there is a new world record set by Scotchmo of 2361 yards.

Good info has not been forthcoming, so I’m going to be a little harsh here.

They didn’t tell us how they knew it was 2058 yds. Going in, they didn’t know the BC of the slug, didn’t know the velocity, didn’t know the elevation (barometric pressure), couldn’t determine the needed compensation, so they were ill-prepared and the gun/scope was not setup to make a shot that far. They couldn’t see the target through the scope, so they lobbed slugs into the sky, hoping to hit the target. Someone called a hit (even before the slug would have reached the target). The target strike was never shown, but they said it did not chip any paint, and the mark was described as something that read like a bird dropping.

Congratulations on your new world record!

But the even newer “world record” is 2361yds that I just did. I’m pretty sure I saw an impact, but It was too far to go take a picture. But I can post a video of me pulling the trigger.

——

When I first saw the “2058 yard” video, I thought it might have been made as a joke in response to the Altaros videos, but many seem to be taking it seriously.

It’s all bull poop (or bird poop).
🤣🤣 that was the European guy I was referring to..but I'm trying to behave not mentioning names.. I imagine that later they would say it was a joke..

Post #33 on the link here

Altaros argument

Lays out in logical scientific reason why this isn’t truly any sort of record.
It’s been said before that this seems more of an elaborate hoax than any actual sort of record.

Since AirForce seems to be promoting this on social media, to question this “accomplishment” is only fair and logical.
Many reasons it’s more a figment of the group’s imagination than an actual real world record.

- no photographic or video proof, other than a spotter saying (at 2000 yards) that he saw a bird dropping on the target
- no ballistic data
- unknown slug BC - logic says under 0.30 since it was not a high BC boat tail slug
- projectile speed unknown.
- scope not on target
- angle of gun at shot unrealistic
- flight time much too short
- bird dropping on target

For the above reasons no intelligent logical thinking mind would just “press the I believe button” when presented with the supposition and conjecture presented by the AirForce team.
Had they stated a couple days later that it was an elaborate hoax, and “we gotcha”, that would have made much more sense, and we’d all have gotten a good laugh.
IMHO this is NOT any sort of record.

Reactions: coffeepan
The more times I watch the video the more skeptical I am. Now if we had a camera
on the target coordinated with the shooter camera it would erase all doubts. You
would think if someone was shooting for some kind of a airgun distant record
that would have been done. I've watched shooters with center fire rifles attempting
to hit targets a mile away do just that. Sorry for the skepticism but in order to
make a shot " official " more evidence is needed.

Reactions: Centercut
This is what should have been done.

Long way off!!!

I had a 375CT "wildcat" using custom dies back in 2006 through 2010, headstamps were 408CT, and it was sending 350gr Hooker Tactical solids at 3200 fps with a .9-ish BC. My friend at the time had this same combo.
We both peppered a 4'x4' steel plate at 2500Y fairly easily until the wind got fast enough it became a waste of ammo and at almost $3 a round it was time to go.
Didn't have chance to push it farther but that thing destroyed any other cartridge I came across at ELR.

Probably why I like LR with airguns. It's a great feeling hitting something way past what's considered normal.

Long way off!!!

I had a 375CT "wildcat" using custom dies back in 2006 through 2010, headstamps were 408CT, and it was sending 350gr Hooker Tactical solids at 3200 fps with a .9-ish BC. My friend at the time had this same combo.
We both peppered a 4'x4' steel plate at 2500Y fairly easily until the wind got fast enough it became a waste of ammo and at almost $3 a round it was time to go.
Didn't have chance to push it farther but that thing destroyed any other cartridge I came across at ELR.

Probably why I like LR with airguns. It's a great feeling hitting something way past what's considered normal.
My point being the video I posted utilized cameras at both the target and firing locations.
This long range airgun video did not which makes being a believer even harder.

Reactions: steve123
This is what should have been done.

Once you see the equipment he uses.. ballistic AP .. etc in order to be as close as possible to target .. usually using high BC bullets.. and you se this guy just seat with a texan and make a hit a 2000y .. you know is a really bad joke.. few years ago there was a YouTube channel called AVerrybigrifle showed a guy with his highly modified AF using the prime of barrels Bartlein ,etc custom twists making hits a 1000y .. shot after shot . Even externally regulated.. hits at that distance was no easy task..