2058 yards! A new WORLD record!

There are airguns that are capable of reaching that far. And given enough shots, any of those could hit the target, regardless of accuracy. But…

If I am to assume that was a real time video, the time of flight to impact seemed to be only about 7 seconds. I’m skeptical.

We need more details.

I heard "transsonic" mentioned.

7 seconds of flight time would give an average speed of 882 feet per second for the projectile.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
I heard "transsonic" mentioned.

7 seconds of flight time would give an average speed of 882 feet per second for the projectile.
The trajectory path is farther, so the average speed would need to be greater than that.

I’m not saying that it’s impossible to do 7 seconds with an airgun. But a slug with a high enough BC is going to require much more FPE than even a highly modified Texan .308 could attain at high transonic velocities (<1100 fps). And no existing .308 airgun can do it either. Maybe a helium gun.

So I’m skeptical.

Run some numbers through a ballistics calculator and see what it would take.

Last edited:
What kind of elevation adjustment? The prism adjustment that goes if front of scope is only I know of to shoot that far..Charley Tac......Yes max velocity airgun 1100 fps with max B.C of .5 to 688 available to average casters...
So about 600 fpe for a 7 second flight. From a .308 Texan?

They could make that distance with a .308 Texan. But time of flight will be in the neighborhood of 12 seconds.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
In my mind without limits on money or reliability the fastest highest B.C configuration for airgun Ballistics is . Airforce Texan .308 custom barrel 34inch plus 7 twist probably and lee .308 230 grain vld boat tail B.C .688 if I remember... And a African Air Ordinance 4500 psi valve...shooting helium at 4500 psi from a Scott 5500psi tank regulated to 4500 psi with Aqua Environment regulator to 4500 psi..Velocity should be close to1100 fps 230 grain 308 as .688 B.c. Also duplicate setup with .510 Texan Helium African Air Ordinance Valve 650 grain spire Point Boat Tails .5 B.C at 1100 fps...Both setups need a.booster pump at some point too.. I'd like to know Airforce specs and setup???🤔

Well, I could not wait for the final video so I just did a search online. If nobody minds I can also give a link to the story. But it can easily be found with a simple Google search. I'm sure the poster would want to show it himself.

Allen
I found it and watched the full video. This is all the info I could get:

.308 caliber
Slug: 155gr
BC: probably a G1 BC of about 0.31
Velocity: ~1000fps
Elevation: ~8000 feet

Most every shot was called after about a 7 second flight time. Under the above conditions, that puts it at about 1750yds. Hard to believe the 2058 yd distance was correct. They should have shown the view of the 36” target (if that’s what it was) through a high power FFP scope. That would have allowed for a visual stadiametric verification of the distance. From everything shown, the numbers don’t work out.

A velocity of 1200fps could do it, but doubt that much was possible.

They don’t explain how they verified the distance.

I don’t doubt that the shot is possible, but not as shown. I’d like to believe it. Give me some of the missing info that makes it work.

Edit: A close up of the “impact” point would have been good to see. The description sounded like a drop shaped grey streak. That could just as likely be a bird dropping. Overall, they need a more scientific approach if they want claim a “WORLD record”.

Last edited:
To push 155gr at 1000fps you will need more 34" barrel or 4k+ psi fill and a modified valve a heavy spring... so no mad dog stock.. no other frame stiffening add on .. just seat and shoot.. not even the guy at my Airgun range does that at 500y .. and you could see that if something is a little of on the bc or wind drift.. then 500y becomes challenging.. I don't think 2000y + could be that easy.. it looked like the European slug guy video.. unless is a new slug I have not seen ever a high bc 308 cast bullet.. only the mold I purchased but sell it later..is was 178gr BT .. I'm a AF fan boy.. I hope they give better information later..
Screenshot_20230924_150128_Google.jpg

Last edited: