• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

2024 World championship qualifications?

I was curious if there were any required qualifications to participate in a World Field Target championship event? Say, does one need to have been a past nationally ranked shooter? Or do you just simply register? Do you have to have a team to shoot? Maybe need to know a secret hand shake?
Being new to Field target, it made me wonder.
How many of you plan to attend?

I was curious if there were any required qualifications to participate in a World Field Target championship event? Say, does one need to have been a past nationally ranked shooter? Or do you just simply register? Do you have to have a team to shoot? Maybe need to know a secret hand shake?
If you are talking about the one listed above here in Arizona reach out to @Garrettkq he is in charge of setting it up.

Tony P.

Reactions: Pea-shooter O.G.
There should be plenty of space for those that are not on the US team and want to participate. As Tony mentioned, reaching out to Garrett would be the best thing. Registration typically is for national teams first, and then it opens up for individuals.

Reactions: Pea-shooter O.G.
Below is a link to the AAFTA page that spells out selection criteria for the WFTF worlds.

Thank you! I hadn't looked at the AAFTA page. I did look at the WFTC2024 page but didn't see anything. I had suspected there were some qualifications to be met. Otherwise it could be like me showing up to the Indy 500 with my 1995 Chevy W/T 1500!

I assume the criteria for the national team is divided by PCP and Springer? For example, if someone accidentally, through no fault of their own, found themself in 10th place in the GP for WFTF Springer they would qualify for the USA Springer team but not the USA PCP team?

I'm going to figure this out right now.

Team USA PCP Team (not official, listed created by a dumb a$$)
1. No shooters in top 5 at 2023 Worlds
2. 1st Nats - Greg Sauve
3. 2nd Nats - Lukas Richter
4. Committee selection?
5. 1st GP - Paul Cray
6. 2nd GP - already on list
7. 3rd Nats - Lauren Parsons
7. 3rd Nats - Tyler Patner
8. 4th Nats - David Alsup
9. 3rd GP - already on list
10. 4th GP - Lonnie Smith
11. 5th Nats - Zachary Loesser
11. 5th Nats - Gerald Long
12. 6th Nats - Chas DiCapua
12. 6th Nats - Lucas Marusiak
13. 5th GP - already on list
14. 6th GP - already on list
15. 7th Nats - already on list
15. 7th Nats - Doug Vinson
15. 7th Nats - Neil Younggren
16. 8th Nats - Mark King
17. 7th GP - Keith K.
18. 8th GP - already on list
19. 9th Nats - Peter Brooks
20. 10th Nats - Jeff Paddock
20. 10th Nats - David Slade
21. 9th GP - Chris Oldfield
22. 10th GP - Ron Brown

So the Team USA PCP team eligibilty looks like this (this is assuming the shooters are from the US, I'm not familiar with some of the shooters on this list)
Greg Sauve
Lukas Richter
Paul Cray
Lauren Parsons
Tyler Patner
David Alsup
Lonnie Smith
Zachary Loesser
Gerald Long
Chas DiCapua
Lucas Marusiak
Doug Vinson
Neil Younggren
Mark King
Keith K.
Peter Brooks
Jeff Paddock
David Slade
Chris Oldfield
Ron Brown

Team USA Springer Team (again, not official)
1. Cameron Kerndt (Overall 1st at 2023 Worlds)
1. Leo Gonzales (2nd Worlds 2023)
1. Ken Hughes (3rd Worlds 2023)
2. 1st Nationals - already on list
3. 2nd Nationals - already on list
4. Committee selection ?
5. 1st GP - already on list
6. 2nd GP - already on list
7. 3rd Nationals - Brad Troyer
8. 4th Nationals - Nathan Thomas
9. 3rd GP - already on list
10. 4th GP - already on list
11. 5th Nationals - John Cerne
12. 6th Nationals - Paul Porch
13. 5th GP - already on list
14. 6th GP - Dennis Banez
15. 7th Nationals - Hector Medina
16. 8th Nationals - no shooter
17. 7th GP - Jim Poh
18. 8th GP - David D'Agostino
19. 9th Nationals - no shooter
20. 10th Nationals - no shooter
21. 9th GP - already on list
22. 10th GP - Scott Cotton

So the Team USA Springer eligible list would be:
Cameron Kerndt
Leo Gonzales
Ken Hughes
Brad Troyer
Nathan Thomas
John Cerne
Paul Porch
Dennis Banez
Hector Medina
Jim Poh
David D'Agostino
Scott Cotton

I assume the criteria for the national team is divided by PCP and Springer? For example, if someone accidentally, through no fault of their own, found themself in 10th place in the GP for WFTF Springer they would qualify for the USA Springer team but not the USA PCP team?

I'm going to figure this out right now.

Team USA PCP Team (not official, listed created by a dumb a$$)

HOLY ROLLERS!! Looks like somebody had a V8 today!!!😉
Thank you for the layout!

Greg Sauve is the point of contact from what I was told by Garrett for said information.
In speaking with Greg a few months ago on exact subject, Pre qualifying WFTF shooters are priority if wishing to attend.
Those Countries who have past history in the WFTF class are allotted so many shooters. Number I don't know ? Those unused positions go back into the pot.
Max is 300 shooters and IF those pre qualified WFTF shooters fill the 300 positions, No one else is allowed entry.
If the 300 limit is not met with pre qualified shooters & the Match Director wishes to still keep the 300 shooter cap in place ? Then the event will be open to others to come shoot the worlds.

As a side note:
For those who may wonder if Past Champions ( State, National, GP ) outside of the WFTF class are Pre qualified to shoot WFTF ? ... NO they are not :cry:

This as I can best recap & recall the conversation with Greg S.

Last edited:
In a nutshell the prequalifiers ( WFTF results only)are for a team spot, 8 PCP and 6 Springer, for the Team competition.
All other WFTF shooters may attend and can win Top Ten, Champion, Top Lady, Top Veteran(60+), and Top Junior.
Only WFTF rules shooting is allowed.
Thank goodness for that. I was kind of worried that I would be asked to join Team USA Springer, which would be embarrassing for all involved. I mean, it would be a bad look to turn down the opportunity to represent your country, but I think any 6 of the 11 shooters on the list above me would be much better choices to represent the US. You can really put together a dream team of springer shooters from that list.

I had actually pulled the HW97 out of the safe to see if I can manage to hit anything at 50+ yards. I will now gladly put it back in the safe so it can think about all of the ways it has broken my heart.

Based off our estimated numbers, we anticipate there will be plenty of space for USA shooters. Remember this event is only WFTF. Once we go through the reserved/allocated spots for the 44 countries, and countries don't use them, it becomes available for reallocation. Details to follow. We will be starting the international registration process in January. More on that in the future, which will be posted on the wftc site. Be sure to put your name on the mailing list on the WFTC2024.com website to be kept in the loop.
Also, if you can't/don't want to shoot, but still want to be a part of the experience... we can still use volunteers. Sign up is on the wftc site too.
The BOG at AAFTA revamped the Team USA qualification process this year. The BOG worked diligently to create the fairest, simplest, and most-current system for team qualifications. The updated system removed the legacy qualifiers (eg: "10 years ago I got third at nats, and 5 years ago I got fifth in the GP series, so i should be on the team next year" LOL). Qualifications for the next year are only earned the year prior, and then there's a clean slate again the following year. Unless, you place at the previous worlds. (top 5 PCP, and top 3 Spring overall at the WFTC) Then you've earned that invite back.
Back to volunteering... we are planning to host a zoom Marshal course, and a Match Planning course for those that wish to attend. This is great for anyone that wants to improve their skill set for course planning and to deepen their understanding behind the details of world rules. Highly recommended.

Now I just need to work on that secret handshake.