• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

2023 NorCal turkey success

It's been a while since I've picked up an airgun. The wet winter combined with the "Bull Incident" last Fall that damaged my Impact took some wind out of my sails as far as getting out with my airguns. Now that Spring is trying to get started I've got the urge. The appearance of ground squirrels, turkeys, and increasing Eurasian doves hasn't hurt.

Yesterday morning after running into town to get some of those super-expensive water troughs for landscape/planters, I was seeing turkeys everywhere on the way back. I decided to grab the Sam Yang 909 .45 and make a short 5 minute drive to a separate parcel of the ranch. I've been telling myself that this year I was going to use the 909 for turkeys; the .25 FX just wounds too many birds and the .308 Texan needs wheels to pack up and down the hills. And while I'm pretty good with the Texan offhand, the 909 is so easy and comfortable to aim/shoot/carry that it's the smart choice for 100 yards and under.

After arriving at the area, I did a drive through along the ranch road and right at the end there was a tom chasing a flock of hens. He was about 50-60 yards from the road which is perfect since I'm zeroed at 60. I drove past the flock, and then just stopped the truck, got out and used it as a blind. The tom was so focused on the hens that he didn't run off. I had to wait for him to turn because all I had to shoot at was a big fan facing me. As soon as he turned, I aimed center body and let fly. The bullet hit home and he went down flopping in a heap. He never got up, and I let him finish moving before walking up. Heck of a nice tom, and a nice treat not having to walk miles up and down mountains.

Today I did the same thing. Glynnis and I were planning on sturgeon fishing, but she's been working insane hours (full time at the regular job and catering every weekend) and so I didn't wake her up this morning at o'dark thirty to catch the daybreak tide. Instead, I went back up the hill to see if I could score another one while she slept in. I left at 7:15 and was back with a tom at 7:45.

When I drove up, I saw a tom walking in the open field at about 200 yards. There was no way I could get close for a shot, except for the fact that there was a row of cow feeders right between us. He was staying put, and I could keep the feeders between me and him by crouching. So I closed the distance while watching to make sure that he didn't scoot out left or right. With the rising sun, my shadow was stretched out about 50' and I was sure that would bust me, but I somehow got away with it. As I got closer I kept checking my range card to make sure that I wouldn't miss. Once I was inside of 50 yards all of that became moot. I took full advantage of the feeders blocking me and when I took a peek over the top the bird was at about 20 yards. He started walking in my direction so all I had to do was take a knee and wait for him to pass the end of the feeder, which is exactly what he did. I delivered the slug at 15-20 yards. The bird ran about 75' and then laid down.

I saw the long beard and thought that the bird was even bigger than yesterday's. Not the case at all. While it had a super long beard, the spurs were short and it might have been the skinniest bird I've ever shot. Both breasts fit into a sandwich baggie. Yesterday I couldn't fit both breasts in a gallon Ziploc. Whatever, that's hunting.

Great to get back out, and especially great to christen the 909. It's a pleasure to shoot and a fantastic turkey gun.

2023turkey.jpg2023turkeylighthunter.jpg2023talon.jpg

2023turkey.jpg

"great shooting. Those toms should be some good eating. I love my single tube dragon claw, it's one gun that I will not sell for any reason. It has put more meat in my frezzer than all my other airguns combined."

I traded airguns with another AGN/Airgun Guild member and friend a while back and received the 909. It was a nice addition to my collection and filled a need that no other gun did. The .308 Texan has been my go-to turkey gun for years and has killed a lot of birds as far out as 225 yards. I still would use it for long range stuff from a blind, but I'm really accurate as well with the 909 with a lot of confidence. I'm sub 2" groups at 100 yards from the bench so that confidence translates for me in the field.

The Impact .25 is of course a great gun, but even head shots are sketchy, and I have lost way too many wounded birds. Same with the JSAR Craptor .30. Whether luck or skill, I didn't lose any meat on either bird to the wound channel. Both birds took the entry/exit in the back/thigh area taking out vitals and wings. No head shots needed with big bore, lol. Everyone thinks that head shooting turkeys is easy because they can shoot tight groups on the bench, but it doesn't translate to a moving bird. I'll take a big bore slug through the boiler room any day.

Reactions: 7Green and MI_Yeti
….also in Northern California

also in norcal and also see these things almost daily. Yesterday I saw probably one of the prettiest Tom, with the lower sunlight it looked iridescent gold! Sadly camera doesn’t do justice. But it did try to face me off gobbling but I won! 🤣🤣🤣
IMG_4351.jpeg

NorCal turkeys are like pests, lol. Not hard to find. As a side note, I rarely hunt with calls, decoys, or blinds. Utilizing airguns, I prefer to spot and stalk as the hilly terrain and far sight lines here lends itself well to that. When using the Texan especially, any bird that steps inside of 100 yards is most surely a dead bird. As you mentioned, turkeys are everywhere around here, and it doesn't take a lot of talent to FIND birds. However, my turkey calling must sound like Yoko One trying to sing because most birds run the other way holding their ears with their wings when I call, and trying to get bird to COME to me is (for this hunter) difficult. I love that airguns allow me to counteract that reluctance with some long-range shots, lol.

"great shooting. Those toms should be some good eating. I love my single tube dragon claw, it's one gun that I will not sell for any reason. It has put more meat in my frezzer than all my other airguns combined."

I traded airguns with another AGN/Airgun Guild member and friend a while back and received the 909. It was a nice addition to my collection and filled a need that no other gun did. The .308 Texan has been my go-to turkey gun for years and has killed a lot of birds as far out as 225 yards. I still would use it for long range stuff from a blind, but I'm really accurate as well with the 909 with a lot of confidence. I'm sub 2" groups at 100 yards from the bench so that confidence translates for me in the field.

The Impact .25 is of course a great gun, but even head shots are sketchy, and I have lost way too many wounded birds. Same with the JSAR Craptor .30. Whether luck or skill, I didn't lose any meat on either bird to the wound channel. Both birds took the entry/exit in the back/thigh area taking out vitals and wings. No head shots needed with big bore, lol. Everyone thinks that head shooting turkeys is easy because they can shoot tight groups on the bench, but it doesn't translate to a moving bird. I'll take a big bore slug through the boiler room any day.
Agree 100%. My 35 cal lays em flat every time.