• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Results 2023 National 50 Benchrest League Championship - Detail Results

Each day individual scored cards. Totals for the day & each class. 42 - 250s were shot this year.

*Honorable mention for being 'honorable' goes to Randy Rannberg and John Sarsycki, both hailing from Oklahoma. They both started shooting score bulls during the sight-in and immediately DQ'd the card themselves. Both would have much better scores. These two are quality humans.

Pellet Class, Saturday 8/26/2023. Morning was tricky as can be seen by the low X count. Irwin & Mike are the tuff guys. World Champion BobS shot the 1st 250 of the competition.
Pellet D1 2023.jpg

Pellet Class, Sunday 8/27/2023. Nice Sunday conditions. 4 way tie for 1st place! Mike & Mark tied for both high score and X count; broken by Mark's first card better X. Many ties broken by X count.
Pellet D2 2023a.jpg

Good Pellet card example. JeffH 249 card.
fffhxs.JPG

Sportsman Class, Saturday 8/26/2023. Dana works LR hard. But then Mike shows up with his air rifle and is right in there with Keith. Many air rifles were hanging in there.
Sport D1 2023.jpg

Sportsman Class, Sunday 8/27/2023. Sunday was nice. Again zero super-accurate laser guided factory-Slug rifles showed up.
Look at all the 250s. Dana gets the 1st 750 at the Nationals. Pearl is tuff. Jeff & Mike hung in there with Pellets. So many 250s; both Pellet and RF = 9 total.
Sport D2 2023.jpg

Pro Class, Saturday 8/26/2023. Finally some Slugs... Mark H came back to defend his title but he had to battle Dana & his Slug rifle. It's good to see the 1st place tie broken by X count. Top 10 separated by 8 points.
Slug rifles Vs Unlimited rimfire it was a good match to watch.
Top Pellet is Jeff's 731 scored with the .224 plug - that's impressive.
Pro D1 2023.jpg

Pro Class, Sunday 8/27/2023. Mark H does it again - he's hard to beat here. But Keith gave him a run with a tie. Nine 250s again. 1st pellet was Jeff.
Pro D2 2023.jpg

Bubba Louie...

Last edited:
if you look at the winners of the 6 individual cards of pellet class you will see that 4 different shooters “Won”. The most interesting thing is that the clear 6 card aggregate winner did not “win “ any individual cards.

Sportsmen is the same. 4 different individual card “winners”.

Pro class had 5 different individual card “winners”.

This should immediately point out the absolute folly of 1 card match formats.

In 3 years, N50 has compiled more data on the top shooters of the discipline from one yearly event than will be gathered from over 5 decades of 1 card EBR.

I’ve been talking regularly with someone that may be willing to run a real 100y 6 card pellet tournament at the Whittington Center next year before the N50 National Match. Currently, he’s the only guy that puts on monthly “real” 3 card 100y club level pellet matches in the entire country.

Mike

if you look at the winners of the 6 individual cards of pellet class you will see that 4 different shooters “Won”. The most interesting thing is that the clear 6 card aggregate winner did not “win “ any individual cards.

In 3 years, N50 has compiled more data on the top shooters of the discipline from one yearly event than will be gathered from over 5 decades of 1 card EBR.

I’ve been talking regularly with someone that may be willing to run a real 100y 6 card pellet tournament at the Whittington Center next year before the N50 National Match. Currently, he’s the only guy that puts on monthly “real” 3 card 100y club level pellet matches in the entire country.

Mike
I like your opinion on 3 card matches but would like to add only guns available to all shooters, no guns that any competitor can't obtain . AS an example you build guns for anyone , so they are available to anyone . I am talking about the FX guns that a few competitors were given that were not available to anyone else . what are your thoughts ?

Club level matches are typically 3 cards while bigger tournaments are 6 or more.

Matches are meaningless unless they are formatted to effectively rank the competitors by their abilities. The ups and downs of shooting BR mean that 1 card is highly unlikely to find the best shooter. This is just common sense that is apparently overridden once you inject a lot of money into the formula.

I don’t have much care about the equipment used at 1 card fun shoots…because they are fun shoots. They are completely unable to accurately rank the shooters by ability….therefore not a match conducted in the genuine spirit of competition.

Mike

I like your opinion on 3 card matches but would like to add only guns available to all shooters, no guns that any competitor can't obtain . AS an example you build guns for anyone , so they are available to anyone . I am talking about the FX guns that a few competitors were given that were not available to anyone else . what are your thoughts ?
I am curious... what guns are you referring to that are not available to other shooters?

--Jim

Club level matches are typically 3 cards while bigger tournaments are 6 or more.

Matches are meaningless unless they are formatted to effectively rank the competitors by their abilities. The ups and downs of shooting BR mean that 1 card is highly unlikely to find the best shooter. This is just common sense that is apparently overridden once you inject a lot of money into the formula.

I don’t have much care about the equipment used at 1 card fun shoots…because they are fun shoots. They are completely unable to accurately rank the shooters by ability….therefore not a match conducted in the genuine spirit of competition.

Mike
Hi Mike,

I would like to know your opinion on another aspect: Should all competitors have to shoot in the same relay? For example, if you have a range with 20 benches and you have 100 competitors, is it a problem since some competitors will, probably, shoot in better conditions than others?

--Jim

Hi Mike,

I would like to know your opinion on another aspect: Should all competitors have to shoot in the same relay? For example, if you have a range with 20 benches and you have 100 competitors, is it a problem since some competitors will, probably, shoot in better conditions than others?

--Jim
It’s a problem if you care about actually finding the best shooter.

Big matches shouldn’t be held at small ranges….although if you shoot enough cards it will even out the disparity. Multiple relay single card matches would be another level of foolishness than the current 1 card format.

Mike

Mike

Mike - does he publish the results (somewhere) of his monthly pellet only 100y matches? I know you tried to add this 100y event to the existing N50 annual a while back, and there was not enough interest at the time.

Many would like to see the guns used, pellet weights, target scores, equipment, etc from these 100 y tournaments.

Thanks Jeff

I just looked at all the results since having your first match in April 2023. Looks like you have a regular gang that likes to shoot 100y bench rest every month.

Some really good shooters and great scores for shooting pellets at 100 yards. Looks like the .44g is the pellet of choice for the .30 calibers, no surprise there. Lots of FX Impacts and Crowns shooting the .30 cals, surprised not to see any .30 RAWs. Some of the .22 cals did pretty well also, even using the .25.39 MRDs.

Q. Do you all use the large 48” X 36” official EBR targets or something else? Also, where can I order them?

Thanks
Tom

Q. Do you all use the large 48” X 36” official EBR targets or something else? Also, where can I order them?
Yes, the targets are 3’x4’. We order ours from National Target in MD. It’s the same setup and size used by the Pyramyd Cup. Tyler gave us the ok to use their print layout. We just had them replace the PAC name with our clubs name and we switched from black ink to red ink (much easier to see if you shot a bull). We also use ASA rules just like the PAC. I’m sure they can make a version for your club from the print setup we’re using.

Jeff

Reactions: Centercut
Jeff, your club members shoot lights out at the monthly club events, great scoring. How did they all do at the PAC - I assume being in Ohio that most would have attended? Thanks!
Mike
Yes, most of our dozen or so “regulars” participated at PAC. I was happy to see Tom Cox put up the highest qualifying total of the event. But, I was disappointed that only 3 of us made the finals and also disappointed with only 1 in the top 15. I’ve seen the improvement in many of our shooters over the past several years at our events and was expecting more. I was leading the under-performers, so I guess I can’t say much. That was some brutal wind and I just couldn’t get a handle on it.

Yes, the targets are 3’x4’. We order ours from National Target in MD. It’s the same setup and size used by the Pyramyd Cup. Tyler gave us the ok to use their print layout. We just had them replace the PAC name with our clubs name and we switched from black ink to red ink (much easier to see if you shot a bull). We also use ASA rules just like the PAC. I’m sure they can make a version for your club from the print setup we’re using.

Jeff

Thanks, I may order some of the 3’ X 4’ official PAC targets. Reason - I want to practice with the real targets, shooting one bull at a time. I’m ready to step up from my 8” by 11” EBR targets to try harder at 100.

Mike centercut B. Please stop posting on N50 threads.
I asked you to unblock me & I invite you back to post openly and not hidden on my thread. Then you come back and disrespect us all starting with adding quote marks on N50 “Nationals” - everyone knows what that means. Then you steer the subject away from N50 to E”BR” - everyone can see what you are doing. Let’s not forget your infamous N50 “Bubbas” insult.
Really ya gotta behave better, be respectful & stay on content. You want to talk about PAC RMAC EBR do that on the pretendrest discipline. But please stop with your stuff here.