• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

2022 Squirrel Season

Busted another one today in my woods with the HW100S and JSB 18.13 Heavy. It was up high and slumped over on the limb when I shot it and stayed there briefly, I thought for sure it was a lost one!
9JHf2m5.jpg

Reactions: jt-outta-cali
Busted another one today in my woods with the HW100S and JSB 18.13 Heavy. It was up high and slumped over on the limb when I shot it and stayed there briefly, I thought for sure it was a lost one!
9JHf2m5.jpg
I take it a close second to squirrel hunting is knife collecting. Nice. And good shootin’ with the HW100!

Made a late afternoon hunt. I have a strip of woods parallel to a large field on the north end of my property; the field is harvested soybeans. I spotted a squirrel estimated about 100 yards away going out into the fields edge, way too far for a shot with the Weihrauch HW100S that I was carrying so I attempted sneaking closing. It spotted me as I got within around 50 yards so I sat down by a big old oak to watch for a reappearance. In a little bit it came back out, but further away. I turned the scope up to the max 16x and it ranged what looked to be 70 yards, which I knew would be 1-3/4 Mils holdover at 10x with my current zero, still a long shot. I didn't think that I could hit a head shot with the amount of wobbling that I was doing so I aimed behind the shoulder and squeezed off the shot, which struck just behind the aimpoint, breaking the spine on the exit. HW100S, .22 JSB 18.13, Hawke SF 4-16x44mm.
41FX6qJ.jpg

Reactions: AmosBurton
Got out early this morning and took one, but it was with my Kimber Hunter 22 for a change. Back to the HW100S this afternoon for a trip around the woods and spotted one. It wasn't an easy kill, it saw me too and kept skulking around not presenting a shot. I kept watching and it finally screwed up, holding still for just a moment too long, giving me an opportunity to squeeze off a JSB 18 grainer to the noggin. I had started to not even try today since it had been windy but I'm glad that I did. Squirrel season is almost over.
SK06Glp.jpg

I'm surprised at the luck you gents have hunting with air rifles.
I've hunted quite a bit over the years, squirrels mainly with a 22 cal rifles. I'm a little surprised at the clean kills you're getting. Over the years I've drifted between standard velocity and LR's....Often having an occasional crawl away with SV. I've also had a couple occasions where squirrels took a (somewhat indirect) head shot with SV's and came "back to life" about an hour later in my bag. I wonder how often such things happen with hunting with a 22 cal air rifle?

Up to 50 yards this HW100 is more accurate than the Kimber unless I buy the very best match ammunition for it. Maybe further. Instant death depends on destroying the brain and better accuracy along with near silent shooting gives a better chance of doing that.

I botched what would have been an easy shot at about 30 feet. Somehow the magazine latch got pushed back out of the locked position and when I operated the action the magazine hadn't rotated. I spotted the squirrel and lined up a perfect shot, or so I thought! Squeezed the trigger, pffft, nothing, the squirrel says yipes and runs away at high speed. Probably laughing. Outsmarted by a rodent. o_O

Last edited:
  • Haha
Up to 50 yards this HW100 is more accurate than the Kimber unless I buy the very best match ammunition for it. Maybe further. Instant death depends on destroying the brain and better accuracy along with near silent shooting gives a better chance of doing that.

I botched what would have been an easy shot at about 30 feet. Somehow the magazine latch got pushed back out of the locked position and when I operated the action the magazine hadn't rotated. I spotted the squirrel and lined up a perfect shot, or so I thought! Squeezed the trigger, pffft, nothing, the squirrel says yipes and runs away at high speed. Probably laughing. Outsmarted by a rodent. o_O
We'll he'll be awaiting you next season!