2022 Hunt Vacation

I spent four long days hunting prairie dogs, pigeons, collard doves, and coyotes. I decided to take my .25 maverick, .25 uragun, and .25 sumatra. Both the uragun and maverick are the first time hunting with them, and I want to talk about my like's and dislike's on both of them. I also want to add I learned something new again while hunting coyotes. I don't have any video and I didn't take many pictures on this trip. When I was younger, I use to be in to makingYouTube videos but now I hate doing all that and would rather enjoy hunting.

The .25 uragan is a Derek Wall special and this thing is a monster. It's pushing the 33.5 NSA at about 1050 fps and it's super accurate. For years, I never thought slugs could out shoot pellets despite all the YouTube celeb's but the uragan change all of this. I tested out three different slugs at a hundred yards, and the 33.5 was the slug I chose.

Untitled-78.1652247749.jpg

On the second day I took the uragan on a five mile walk through the desert. For safety reasons, I walked on a dirt road that circled my in-laws property because was told rattle snakes were out. I lucked out and didn't see any rattle snakes the hold four days. The only trouble I had was a very angry hawk that thought I was trying to eat her babies. I came up a disk plow and had no idea there were baby hawks in it. Out of no where I felt this vacuum of air and a loud screech near my ear. Scariest thing I every heard in my life and made me wonder if that's the last thing a rabbit or ground squirrel hears before its killed. From now on, I'll avoid all hawkes and hope I never encounter another in the wild.

After walking for miles and hours with the uragan, I had a few issues. One mistake I made was I forgot the sling. Because I had to carry the uragan, I learned the pistol grip was too short for my hand and that ridge on the bottom started to wear in to the bottom of your hand. Holding the butt stock wasn't any better because the hole cut out was too small for my four fingers and two or three fingers got tiring quick. The best way to carry the uragan was on my shoulder and even that started to get painful because of the uragan's sharp edges. Another problem I had with the uragan was a really sharp above the trigger. I normally rest my trigger finger just above the trigger and after hours of holding the gun, that sharp part of the stock was really painful. When I get some free time, I will sand down these two edges. Other than the three sharp edges, I can't really think of anything else.

There are many good things about the uragan. Walking in a very flat area, there was nothing to stop the wind. Despite the wind, I was able to shot the uragan really good and after getting several good kills, I would say the uragan will give a .22 mag and a .17 HMR a run for their money. I honestly started to think of the uragan as rim fire rifle and made my longest kill with an air rifle. I was able to smack a prairie dog at 289 yards. The wind just die down to about 3 mph and with my confidence up with the uragan, I started walking in my pellet hits to a prairie setting to where I thought was 300 yards but after walking the distance, I laser it at 289 yards. No pictures because I didn't want to stick my hand down a hole.

The first day I took out the maverick and for the most part, the maverick did great. I was able to shoot several cotton tails and collard doves. Under 75 yards, the maverick hit what you were aiming at. The cocking lever is lighter and smoother then the uragan. The position of the cocking lever is in the perfect place for fast follow up shots, and the pistol grip is comfortable to hold. Now to the bad's I found. One big problem I ran into was one of the mags lost the oring that keeps the mag into the gun. I had several spare mags in my pocket and when I loaded the oring-less mag, the mag fell off the maverick when I tried to take my second shot on a bunny sitting 38 yards. The oring-less mag fell into some tumbleweeds, and without losing sight of the rabbit, I installed another mag from my pocket, By the time I loaded the mag, the rabbit hoped away Not sure how the oring fell off but it must have fell off in the ammo bag or my pocket. I looked at that mag and shook my head. I've carried many mrod mags, cricket mags, and 1st gen wildcat mags in my pocket and never had any problems.

The next problem with the maverick is something I notice while tuning the maverick at home. I have a digital pressure gauge on the reg so I can accurately see what the reg is doing. I noticed pressure will hover around 143 bar despite me setting it to 150 bar. I'll count to about 20 seconds and the reg will stay at 143. Shot to shot consists is great if I could count to 20 but if I don't shoot the maverick for several hours, the reg will climb to 153 or as high as 155 bar if left over night. Because of the huge plenum, the reg won't respond until you fire 2 or 3 shots and for hunting, that's a problem. I could see this problem when I had to shoot more than 75 yards.

Another problem I found was after walking for hours, the stockless design sucked. After you get tired of holding the pistol grip, there is nowhere else to hold it. You would have to balance it on your shoulder but it's no different than the uragan. I ended up carrying both pcp's the same way. Despite the oring on the mag and the slow creep on the reg, the maverick is a great shooter but it can not keep up with the uragan shooting slugs.

Untitled-74.1652252596.jpg

Untitled-77.1652252617.jpg

Untitled-73.1652252646.jpg

Untitled-72.1652252666.jpg

Reactions: AncientSword
@wyshadow Really enjoyed the write-up. It sounds like you had a great hunting trip. The Maverick and Uragan comparison is helpful in gaining a better understanding of some of the pros and cons in a real-world hunting scenario. Did you encounter any coyotes?

I went out Monday night with sumatra equipped with a thermal scope. I walked out to a place where I thought would position me for a good shot but in the past, I always knew you were always wrong where you would think a coyote would show up.

I set my tripod, sumatra, and backpack down and walked 30 steps in the dark and turned on the caller. I walked back to my spot and started setting up. I tried to be as quiet as possible but in the dead silence, every twig you break sounds 10 times louder.

Before I turned on the caller, I scanned around me and saw two coyotes about 50 yards from me. One was looking right at me and the other one was trotting to the right. I could tell the one moving knew what I was but the other was still thinking. I thought about turning on the caller to get the one from looking away from my direction and to stop the first one but deciding to make a squeak sound. Before I could make a sound, the one looking at me followed the first one. When I squeaked them, they both stopped but as I tried to line up them, the horizon faded out my screen and couldn't see them. I tried to figure out where the first one was at in the black screen but of course I was way off. They both took off into the dark. After I quickly reloaded and position the screen below the horizon, the coyotes where a long way off running. I then knew I needed to re-zero my scope with the cross hair on top of the screen if I hunt in a flat area again. Back home I never had this problem because we have hills and a mountain range to the east.

The other mistake I made was I should've scanned the area before I started setting up. If would have done that, I would seen the two coyotes. I seem to always learn from my mistakes every time I go out hunting

@wyshadow Thanks sharing that. It sounds as if you hadn’t even had a chance to power on your thermal scope before they spotted you. Did it seem like the yote moving to the right was getting downwind of you or was it already leaving the area? 

I definitely understand how any little noise sounds loud as hell when all else is silent. Even down to sling swivels and attachments, something bumping a tripod leg, or a boot brushing against something you didn’t see in the dark. 

@wyshadow Did it seem like the yote moving to the right was getting downwind of you or was it already leaving the area?

Not sure what the first coyote was doing but from its movement, it looked like it knew something didn't seem right. I've seen them move fast if it thought there was pray. This one moved cautiously. Coyote's are hard to kill, and even harder with an air rifle. I would've kill a lot more coyotes if I used a power burner but I wouldn't have any bragging rights. There's nothing like getting a coyote with an air rifle.