• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

2022 Baystate Challenge match report

• Thread starter Deleted member 38071
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38071

20220602_175024.jpg
6am, Friday June 10th, the Matt’s, Leo G and I arrived at the Mass Rifle Association in Woburn Massachusetts. It was opening day for the 2022 Baystate Challenge AAFTA Grand Prix. The only work left after months of prep was to set up the sight in range, paint a stray target or two and register shooters. While there was supposed to be a heads up speed match in the afternoon in place of a pistol match, most shooters were happy to keep using the sight in range or chill in the shade trading tips and stories. A note about the pistol match. There will be a pistol course next year.

Saturday morning came faster than expected and I was almost an hour late to the club. Thankfully the Matt’s and Leo G had my back getting the sight in range prepped and registration set up. Shortly after my arrival the field of shooters began arriving. Some for a bit mor sight in, others to register, chrony and sight in. after a couple hours the shooters meeting was held. I will admit to making a few mistakes about equipment and target rules. Sometimes things change faster than expected. Still my fault. Regardless the squads were called out and shooters made their way to the lanes assigned.

Day 1 was shot on the Field/Yellow course. There are 17 lanes. 2 standing and 1 kneeling for positionals. It’s shot from an open field mostly into the woods. It starts facing west, then after 8 lanes turns north. The weather that day was partially cloudy with light, switching winds. I’d love to give more detail about conditions lane to lane but I did not shoot. I’ll ask others to fill that part in.

After 3 or so hours of shooting most squads had wrapped up and ready to eat. Lunch was from a local Italian deli, Marco’s. It was pretty damn good and didn’t last long. After plates were cleared and food digesting we gave away our door prizes. A .22 Air Venturi Avenger, and RX Targets Systems resettable practice target provided by RX Targets Systems. Next was the Auction.

It’s not lost on me we don’t know how to run an auction. We did our best. We had donations from Patchworm, Pyramyd Air, Sightron, RX Target Systems and New England Airguns for the items provided.

Sunday(day 2) came faster than Saturday, but I was ready and at the club on time. I replaced targets for sight in and when finished the line went hot. Given our earlier start time on day 2 most shooters were ready to sight in at 7. After a final check of strings and obstructions on the woods/yellow course I had to run out to get lunch from the caterer so had Leo G run the shooters meeting. Once the meeting was over, everyone headed to the woods for what turned out to be a beautiful morning of shooting. We had full sun and enough of a breeze to confuse most shooters once or twice.

There were a couple cold lines for targets out of level, or gummed up with lead. A branch or two in the way caused a couple pauses as well. Granted these are nothing out of the ordinary when shooting in the woods and not a cause for concern. Overall day 2 went smoothly and everyone finished up an hour earlier as planned.

Once again lunch was held, provided by the same deli, and enjoyed no less than the day before. When everyone was done we went back outside for the awards ceremony. First place in each division won a prize package provided by Air Arms. Second and thirds places received hats provided by Pyramyd Air.
With the awards given and goodbyes finished everyone filtered out as we began breaking down and cleaning up. Thanks to a bit of foresight we were able to get cleaned up in a couple hours and headed home.

My biggest thanks are to Matt Sawyer, Matt Brackett and Leo Gonzales. These three gentlemen have helped since October 2021 with creating the woods course, coordinating with Mass Rifle Ass., creating logos, keepings scores and updates and more. Again, thanks guys.

I need to thank our sponsors as well, who provided items for our door prizes, auction, sight in range, welcome/swag bags and more. Thank you Pyramyd Air, Air Arms, Northeast Airguns, RX Target Systems, Target Forge, New England Airguns, Pellet Gauge, Patchworm, FX and Crosman.

Next years event will have a pistol course for Friday afternoon. We will also be cutting a new course this winter so expect to have 2 days in the woods in 2023. I hope to not only see everyone who attended this year, but also many more.

20220612_135550.jpg
20220612_135711.jpg
20220612_135841.jpg
20220612_140015.jpg

The winners, in order are Brian Van Leiw(sp) Open PCP. Paul Manktelow Hunter Springer. Bill Day Hunter PCP. Matt Brackett WFTF Springer. Paul Cray WFTF PCP.

Scores and equipment list can be found here: https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ausj-Y-SAaOxjKBDyO2tYcY5aC1TvA

20220612_140136.jpg

Reactions: gonzav71
You wouldn’t know this was your first time hosting a GP! Courses were outstanding. Each lane had its own appeal. Winds were enough you had to respect them. The elevated targets were a nice touch. Very enjoyable time there. You and the rest of the guys should be very proud for your efforts. Definitely would say this GP is one not to miss in 2023!

John, great report! Hats off to you my friend for spearheading this event with Matt S. and the enormous amount of work you both put into making it a reality. It's been exciting to develop the FT presence at Mass Rifle. I agree with Brian that the course is wonderfully planned - it's varied, interesting and has good personality and challenge levels. I was also blown away by the amount and quality of sponsors you managed to attract - hopefully that was a real attraction to the attendees. It was a long weekend of sustained effort, but it was a pleasure working with you Matt and Leo. Congrats!

John, The range was setup well and a great variety of shots. The food was also excellent. I think until fuel prices come back down and our associated costs we should plan all Grand Prix as two day events (Sat and Sunday) The pistol match planned for Friday that didn't materialize cost the shooters that had to travel another $100 bucks that could of been absorbed into a Sat afternoon pistol match. Looking back is always easier than looking forward but I really believe everyone will get more of their money and attract and bigger attendance of competitors with two day events at least for the foreseeable future.
Regardless, Good job on everything else.
Bill Day

Reactions: MattSawyer