• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

200 Yards!

Shot 200 yards today for the first time. I know it can be done, but it amazes me that I can do it. 20 shots at 1.1 Mil at 200 yards. H&N Slugs out of a Zbroia Kozak FC550 

Ballistic-X-Export-2021-10-24 16_22_49.236534.1635108371.png

You know I’ve just never understood this extreme range shooting. I’m not just talking about air rifles but 22 lr and other light caliber powder burners.
I don’t mean to be insulting or critical but I know it’s going to sound that way. Typically an air rifle is used to shoot a relatively small target for sake of discussion let’s say a soda can. What your target shows me is that hitting a target of that size at that distance with an air rifle is going to be pretty much just luck. 
Perhaps I’m missing the point here but I just don’t see shooting air rifles beyond 100 yards. Or 22lr beyond 150.
I guess it’s up to the individual to do as he wishes. Some time ago I watched a fellow shoot about 30 rounds out of his big bore at 550 yard. He hit his target once and was happy. Me I found it rather senseless.
I watch some of the YouTube stuff. 2 miles etc. BUT the difference is they have a very limited number of shots and even at that it rarely happens 

Anyone else get my point or can you explain how anything is proven other than air rifles suck at 200 yards LOL 

bubblerboyboy64–

I can understand your point. It does not seem very practical and I would not contemplate hunting at that long range. However, it is just a further testing of your skills and your equipment and it is really fun. I can hang a 10” saw blade gong at 200 yards and hit it most every shot until the wind comes up. I will purposefully shoot very early in the morning and again just at dusk to avoid the wind. Most of my shots will be in a 3-4 inch group in the center of the gong. It’s comical to shoot and then wait a second or two to hear the report from the gong. Now, when the wind starts to blow all bets are off and hitting the gong at all becomes a challenge. I find it all rather challenging and enjoyable.

Kenny

I agree with Kenny. It's not easy, shooting for fun at long distances improves my short range accuracy. I like to challenge my equipment and my skill. If it's not your thing, no big deal. I don't expect everyone to appreciate what I like. Certainly don't expect everyone to understand or care either.

If nothing else, I discovered that the majority of the shots were within a 3 inch horizontal plane, indicating the regulator is performing reliably. 

You know I’ve just never understood this extreme range shooting. I’m not just talking about air rifles but 22 lr and other light caliber powder burners.
I don’t mean to be insulting or critical but I know it’s going to sound that way. Typically an air rifle is used to shoot a relatively small target for sake of discussion let’s say a soda can. What your target shows me is that hitting a target of that size at that distance with an air rifle is going to be pretty much just luck. 
Perhaps I’m missing the point here but I just don’t see shooting air rifles beyond 100 yards. Or 22lr beyond 150.
I guess it’s up to the individual to do as he wishes. Some time ago I watched a fellow shoot about 30 rounds out of his big bore at 550 yard. He hit his target once and was happy. Me I found it rather senseless.
I watch some of the YouTube stuff. 2 miles etc. BUT the difference is they have a very limited number of shots and even at that it rarely happens 

Anyone else get my point or can you explain how anything is proven other than air rifles suck at 200 yards LOL

Extreme range - It's just something else to do for the fun of it. If it's windy, like 10mph plus, I usually don't go shooting in it. That can be with firearms or airguns. Extreme range is different for everyone depending on many different factors.

When the vertical falls apart, or wasn't there to begin with, like bigger than the target I'm intending to hit, then I tend to lose interest in shooting as well. If I have a good chance of hitting the target, usually steel, then it's fun to make the attempt.

There's wasn't much to do out there more fun for this rifle shooter than hitting a 4'x4' steel plate at 2500Y over and over again like I did with my 375 Cheytac, it was almost as much fun hitting a 15" plate at 500Y with my 22rf, and that 7" diamond steel plate at 290Y with 29gr slugs out of my Uragan. If my equipment weren't up to the task and I wasn't connecting then that's when the fun ends for me and it's time to get closer to the target or do something else.

A BIG part of extreme range shooting is being able to see where your misses are landing, if you can't and you are blowing a bunch of ammo while not connecting, well it's time to think about better target placement, or using target cams, drones, or whatever ways you can come up with to bring success.

We've got a full sized chicken at 210Y at my friends place. I've pretty much proven to myself that when using pellets it is lucky to hit it so I rarely try anymore(NOT FUN), but it's not hard to hit it with slugs out of my Uragan when the wind is down so I like shooting father than that which becomes extreme range for that gun and ammo. Extreme range with pellets is probably 170Y for that same animal.

You'd have to try it to see if it turns your crank I guess. If hitting a pop can 100% of the time was your goal then find out the max distance you can do it with what rifle you have. Of course that would get boring real quick for most shooters. A challenge then might be 10 yards farther and getting it 90% of the time. Or 20 yards farther and getting it 75% of the time, or until the distance provides enough reasonable challenge within the confines of you and your gear.

first and foremost not all airgun suck at 200 yards. Not even that long ago 100 yards was really far but not so today. 

why do we go father than what’s normally seems sensible? Why not? If I bust out my 6.5 creedmoor at 200 yards what fun is that? It’s exceedingly good at shooting a quarter at 200 yards but why bother when I know the outcome already? It’s like going to watch the movie titanic…..oh the suspense is killing me!!! 

shooting 200 yards with airgun is very challenging! It take a lot of work and mastery of ballistic amongst many other things. But that’s why we do it, because it is challenging. AND the skills practiced with Airguns directly translate to shooting my 6.5 creedmore at well pass 1000 yards. Since it’s so much trouble shooting that far I haven’t shot past 10000 but eventually I will. And when I do I have high confidence that I won’t be just throwing 4 dollars into the wind and don’t even know where it went. 

I think the difference is what is extreme range for one isn’t the same for others. That’s fine and I get it. For me I’d rather concentrate on shooting smaller groups at reasonable ranges then an occasional hit out beyond what is practical. In other words I’d rather shoot at a one inch swinger at 100 then a two inch at 200. And I do shoot at “ fairly” long range. One of my favorite targets are clay birds at 500 yards using a 223. That’s plenty challenging for me and if conditions are ideal I can hit them most of the time. Wind? forget it but I suppose shooting in adverse conditions is how you learn. You can certainly push a 223 out further ( using heavier bullets typically) but it seems like the 6.5 creedmore a better choice. I’m not arguing with anyone just suggesting that if you have a bag of hammers you might match the tool too the job. I get the feeling of accomplishment doing it with the lighter cartridges but that does have to be tempered by just making a lucky hit ? Saw a guy shooting open sights at 1000 yards. One hundred shots later he hit once. Get my point ? At some point it’s just a waste of time and money. Granted those limits vary one individual to another . Maybe slugs at 200 someday.

@bubblerboy64: I wouldn’t call 200 yard extreme range, it’s long range with slugs. Think about it, it’s a 22 subsonic so it can’t suck that bad. Pellets at 200 yards? that’s is for the tormented LOL! 

I wouldn’t dog it till you try it, if you find the right ammo gun combo it’s very doable. I haven’t had 200 year range before but I had no issue hitting same end of 12 oz water bottle at 165, or shotgun shells 4 in a roll at 145, it’s very doable. The wind will kick up the difficulty a lot but that’s what we practice and figure out how to observe the wind and how to adjust for it. It’s both science and art! 

IMHO it’s much easier to shoot 1 inch group @100 than 2 inch group @ 200. Flight time is much longer and environmental effects are that much greater. With my .25 impact sub MOA is a starting point, in 5 MPH wind it only drifts 2 inches so very easy to compensate. Another way to put it is if I have less than 3MPH wind I would get 1 inch group without compensating for the wind. However at 200 yards it drifts 9 inches or 1.3 mils, still very manageable but certainly more than 4 times the drift or 4 times as hard. But I would say it doesn’t suck at 200 yards still. 

Even the mighty creedmoor goes sub sonic at about 1300 yard mark and it still got almost 400 yards to go before it hits my goal of 1 mile. That last 400 yards is where the difficulty really kicks up! No amount of equipment will do the math and compensation at that distance for you but shooting at long ranges in different conditions will help you learn. If you never work out you won’t get stronger. I have guns that can put pellets in the same 177 holes all day at 20 yards but what fun is that? Hahaha 

jdh2550, I really enjoy shooting long distance just to see the results of extreme distance shooting. That’s a great first try at 200 yards! I’ve only gone out to 130 yards so far. One of my favorite shooting sessions is clumps of snow in trees where you can see the holes appear in the clumps and you can “walk em in” like a mortar lol. I’d never hunt at long distance but it’s definitely a blast to use your rifle to “throw darts” sometimes just for fun. It would definitely cost a lot to play with the powder burner like that lol! Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Maybe I should rephrase my comments slightly. What size group is satisfying for you at long range? My point being if you are just “ hoping” for a hit maybe you shouldn’t be shooting . If you have a process to achieve a certain result then I have no issue. I know several long range powder burners who have invested a literal boat load into long range target shooting. Frankly ( could not afford it and am too old to start ) it’s not for me but I certainly will enjoy “watching”. It’s difficult to find places to shot extreme distances here in Pa. We have 800 yards and I think their goal is to get groups under 10 inches before attempting further. Hopefully well under. And that’s descriptive of a process . Not going to just start my throwing lead at a mile. 
I’ve listened to what has been said and I think we have some of both going on here ( which I guess is OK). Guys that are just having fun hoping for an occasional hit and some who are being deliberate in their quest. For me if I would attempt 200 I wouldn’t be happy with two inch groups and I’m just not certain I want to put myself thru what I know it would take to do substantially under that. Maybe I’m to easily frustrated or just lazy? I shoot with and around some really world class shooters ( powder) I ask one fellow who was testing at 800 what his best group at 800 was. He said he once put 5 under an inch at 800. He WORKS at this I know he goes so far as to weigh primers. Are you willing to go that far? The fellow I’m talking about is. I’ve also seen him get pretty upset and frustrated when things don’t go as planned. Very competitive. If it’s still fun? Go for it. Me I’m going to challenge myself but I’m also not going to make it needlessly difficult. I’ll let that up to others.
This has been an interesting thread and I appreciate hearing the different points of view. My wife enjoys knitting finds it relaxing. I’d think it torture. Different strokes 

First off, congratulations to the OP. That’s a great first group at 200 yards! And, you actually had the guts to post your group, for that I commend you.

I would like to throw out a challenge. I’m wondering how many guys can shoot MOA at 100 yards with 20 shots… I will guarantee you it would be extremely difficult. Five shots, not that tough, 10 shots under MOA at 💯… very difficult. 20 shots…Close to impossible.

And for BB, who is a nice guy, who approached this with a very nice attitude. I have shot sub MOA Groups multiple multiple times at 240 and 190.

And it is a whole Lotta fun when you pull it off.

Absolutely fantastic group, and thanks for posting!

mike

First off, congratulations to the OP. That’s a great first group at 200 yards! And, you actually had the guts to post your group, for that I commend you.

I would like to throw out a challenge. I’m wondering how many guys can shoot MOA at 100 yards with 20 shots… I will guarantee you it would be extremely difficult. Five shots, not that tough, 10 shots under MOA at
1f4af.svg
… very difficult. 20 shots…Close to impossible.

And for BB, who approached this with a very nice attitude Instead of trashing the post. I have shot sub MOA Groups multiple multiple times at 240 and 190.

And it is a whole Lotta fun when you pull it off.

Absolutely fantastic group, and thanks for posting!

mike

Interesting point made. I wouldn’t attempt 20 shots at 100 having shot a 10 under an inch. End on a positive note I say because you know with little doubt that shot 11 is going to be a flyer. LOL or so it goes for me.. clearly it’s what’s between the ears on this. Ending with “ don’t worry be happy” 

When I go to the range and get a 1 1/2 I inch group at 100 yards I am happy, about that time some guys will walk up and ask what am I shooting any I tell them a pellet gun and then let them shot it they are amazed

That’s a real dirty trick to pull on some one. That’s how this craziness starts. LOL. I’ve done the same and they are always amazed. Some with the accuracy and a few who think. “ That guy is nuts spending that much on an air rifle” . Most are just glad for the chance to see something other then what they are familiar with. Same with me and the extremely high end bench rest rigs. Even if you don’t shoot some of those rifles are beautiful works of art . I really is good we don’t all like the same thing.

@bubblerboy64: I see what you are saying now. No, I’m not out there just to see if I can get on paper, that’s a waste of time and money. However if someone enjoys that who am I to say….it’s their money.

I’ve spent a lot of money and more importantly time on ballistics. In my .25 impact example I know at 100 yards it will drift 2 inches in 5mph wind so I will watch for wind and compensate so I can get under 1 inch, pretty easy. At 200 yards it will drift 9 inches so I will compensate to get under 2 inches, but I know where in general it will impact, no hopes and prayer here. There are tons of firing solution solvers from free to quite expensive and all of them require some sort of user input and at longer ranges tiny little detail makes a big difference. I’ve spent a lot of time and slugs validating ballistics, my guns setup, my ability to use certain ballistic solver system and learn how to do wind calls. Wind call is especially difficult BUT with technology I know the wind speed range from weather reports and wind meters, this narrows down the wind range quite a bit or the margin of error is a little smaller compare to old days where no one had instruments. Still only way to know for sure is validate, validate and validate……then validate some more.

in summary at longer range the shooter has to be obsessive about every single detail however small. Most people do this because of it’s a challenge and a way to direct our OCD to something fun and not drive our family crazy!🤣

edit: fun story, I was shooting at the range and a guy pulls up couple of tables over and started shooting his PB at 50 yards, after a session he started to shoot 25 yards. Looks like he was messing with his scope and left after couple of sessions. He couldn’t group at 25 yards to save his life! I could of out shoot him with my 5 FPE 10 meter gun even in the wind! hahahahaha