200 yard first shot accuracy

Yeah, it's fun to try, especially pesting. Then we see and read about the "head shot" on a ground squirrel at 200+ yards. Did it happen? Maybe. Was the head shot intentional? Hell no... At 200 yards center mass is about all you'll be aiming at if you're honest with yourself.
Only an idiot would aim for the head. Center mass for sure. Take what you get for a hit.

Hold my beer.

4736702388_6cb761d905.jpgAIRGUN!

"Chill, we are in the no shoot zone"
2007-007 (1).jpg

Personally I have no issues shooting them out to 420 yards. Too bad I just nicked the second one.

😊👍

Allen

Cool stuff Centercut. Long range prairie dogs is right up my alley. Looking forward to a hunt in early June. It's going to be hard for me to break my last years longest shot though. It will be fun trying though.

View attachment 348025
"Is that someone with a airgun 250 yards away?" Says one squirrel to another...

1681448710069.png

Allen
An extraordinarily talented shooter with a very fine airgun of the highest quality would need to be even more extraordinarily lucky to get these two in two quick shots at any real distance, even on a day with ideal conditions.

Of course, even taking ONE of these at long range with a single shot is impressive, and something we should ALL strive to be able to do, if we're able to afford the equipment and have the opportunity to learn to do so - though, as pointed out above, this is going to be a LOT of money, like, many thousands on the gun, high quality range finder, weather station, and other associated equipment - plus TONS of time spent learning your gun and getting your dope down to the finest details.

However, a lunatic with a mid-cost accurate low-recoil full auto like the Blitz with an over-sized clip, or the SK-19? LOL, even if there's a half dozen of 'em downrange, them critters gonna have a BAD day. ;-) Volume and rate of fire IS, after all, a proven aid to accuracy assuming some reasonable level of skill in controlling the weapon. ;-)

Reactions: Healthservices
An extraordinarily talented shooter with a very fine airgun of the highest quality would need to be even more extraordinarily lucky to get these two in two quick shots at any real distance, even on a day with ideal conditions.

Of course, even taking ONE of these at long range with a single shot is impressive, and something we should ALL strive to be able to do, if we're able to afford the equipment and have the opportunity to learn to do so - though, as pointed out above, this is going to be a LOT of money, like, many thousands on the gun, high quality range finder, weather station, and other associated equipment - plus TONS of time spent learning your gun and getting your dope down to the finest details.

However, a lunatic with a mid-cost accurate low-recoil full auto like the Blitz with an over-sized clip, or the SK-19? LOL, even if there's a half dozen of 'em downrange, them critters gonna have a BAD day. ;-) Volume and rate of fire IS, after all, a proven aid to accuracy assuming some reasonable level of skill in controlling the weapon. ;-)

I think as many said it once before. There's a lot of luck involved and that luck comes with a lot of practice.

Allen

I think as many said it once before. There's a lot of luck involved and that luck comes with a lot of practice.
Allen
Exactly. I was shooting with my buddy @Gerry52 (Gerry) in Valley Center at an abandoned Avocado Farm this morning. We didn’t see any ground squirrels, so prior to leaving I told him I wanted to try a long range shot with the .25 Panthera 600 shooting Altaros 49.5 BT slugs. It’s very hilly country, and I spotted a huge boulder stack and saw one that had about a 2 inch black lichen spot near the middle.

We both ranged it at 284 yards. Between the time I got prone, Gerry spotted a juvenile ground squirrel at the top of the boulder and said “your target has changed”. So I ranged at 286 yards. Dialed in my dope, and sent it once Gerry was in position with his scope to see the results.

The slug flew true, elevation was perfect but it went about two inches right, just barely missing the squirrel. The squirrel jumped and ran away, and might have been hit by some loose rock chips. Damn, I realized that I had forgotten to account for spin drift. 😞.
Wind was minimal.
Then I said well, I might as well hit the dark spot on the rock so I dialed down a click and sent it. We both watched as a light colored mark appeared dead center in the middle of the dark spot. We were high five-ing, and Gerry asked if he could take a shot. Next shot was a little over an inch left of the first one, just barely missing the two inch dark spot.
Wow, we were both just amazed at the accuracy of this gun/scope/ammo combo. Great fun!

Too much fun Mike. I saw it with my own eyes & it's STILL hard to believe! I missed a 2" target @ 284 yards by, literally, the width of a pellet!!! Mind you, shooting a gun I shot once about a month ago and shooting prone which is extremely hard on my back & neck. The accuracy of that gun is almost beyond belief!

Exactly. I was shooting with my buddy @Gerry52 (Gerry) in Valley Center at an abandoned Avocado Farm this morning. We didn’t see any ground squirrels, so prior to leaving I told him I wanted to try a long range shot with the .25 Panthera 600 shooting Altaros 49.5 BT slugs. It’s very hilly country, and I spotted a huge boulder stack and saw one that had about a 2 inch black lichen spot near the middle.
I just happened upon this thread -- good stuff in here and you, Mike, just answered my immediate question (I think?) from the get go - 700mm barrels? Apparently not though - at least with the Panthera? The longest I have with any of my guns are 600's - I've got two of the RTI's (1st gen Prophet Performances both having the newer RPB barrels in them ) I just did 175 yds yesterday with the .25 ( the other one is a .22 ) and while not ground squirrel accurate at 175 . . . I'm thinking woodchucks might not be thrilled with it. Still tuning / dialing it. But thanks . . . I've been tempted to get something with a 700mm barrel ( Vulcan V3 is very tempting ) but can't honestly justify the expense right now . . . . I honestly don't shoot out much beyond 120 anyway - but the longer stuff is fun just to see if I can do it. I'm not going to be trying to take out critters if I don't think a projectile is still packing a thump at that range . . . but supposedly ( according to strelok ) my .25 is still packing 39 ft/lbs at 175 - more than enough to take out a chuckie ( assuming well placed ).

I just happened upon this thread -- good stuff in here and you, Mike, just answered my immediate question (I think?) from the get go - 700mm barrels? Apparently not though - at least with the Panthera? The longest I have with any of my guns are 600's - I've got two of the RTI's (1st gen Prophet Performances both having the newer RPB barrels in them ) I just did 175 yds yesterday with the .25 ( the other one is a .22 ) and while not ground squirrel accurate at 175 . . . I'm thinking woodchucks might not be thrilled with it. Still tuning / dialing it. But thanks . . . I've been tempted to get something with a 700mm barrel ( Vulcan V3 is very tempting ) but can't honestly justify the expense right now . . . . I honestly don't shoot out much beyond 120 anyway - but the longer stuff is fun just to see if I can do it. I'm not going to be trying to take out critters if I don't think a projectile is still packing a thump at that range . . . but supposedly ( according to strelok ) my .25 is still packing 39 ft/lbs at 175 - more than enough to take out a chuckie ( assuming well placed ).
Nice! I’m at about 68 FPE at 175 yards and about 59 FPE where that ground squirrel was at 286 yards with my .25

Yes, I have two that'll do the trick. The .25 Impact shooting 41 grain Zan at 960 fps, and even better the .25 Panthera shooting 49.5 grain Altaros BT at 885 fps. I shoot 4-inch spinners at that range and can do first shot with the Panthera the majority of the time...
The difference between 100 and 200 yards is like night and day, not even close to comparable...
Try ZAN’s 41grn HPBT. I’ve had super high success at distances out past 300m. Worked over M-Rod, 25 cal.

Am currently in the process of using a fx crown grs cont, 700 mm. At 50 yd, and 100 yds, with very soon going to 200 yds. I shoot in the evening with lighting, as it is too dark out there , even in the day time with sun. I had been using extension cords for lighting, got lucky at a yard sale a few years back. But to go from 100 to 200 yds, was a cost situation. Yesterday this was solved, Husky rechargeable work lights. Low , med, high lumen levels button, low is fine and good for 12 hours before recharge, supposedly. These work so well, I am not using any cords any more , any where.

Have since placed a 2 x 6 board in front of lights for protection.
20230621_202152 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
i just shot my Morini .177 162IE 420 FPS and 7 grain wadcutter . and hit a 1 inch spinner @ 44 yards ,about fell over . two times aimed about 1.25 inches high ,hahahaha
I've been shooting my old Sheridan, and for plinking the pump count is excellent for ranging. 5 pumps 25+ yards, 7 pumps 45 yards, and I'm assuming that 8 will give me 50 yards.
That wouldn't be helpfull hunting though as I carry 8 while hunting.

Reactions: beerthief